Lamson has compiled a comprehensive, topical history of the first two and a half centuries of Weston, Massachusetts. He devotes special attention to matters of ecclesiastical and military history, and also treats of such subjects as town records, taverns, schools, railroads, businesses and doctors.
The author begins with the granting of the farms in the western part of Watertown. This section of Watertown was established as the West Precinct in 1698, and a church was begun. This West Precinct was chartered as the town of Weston in 1713.
Lamson discusses the formation of the congregational church in the late 1690s, listing the founding members and many others of those who were admitted to the church in its earliest years. In later chapters he narrates the foundation of other denominations in the town.
In a number of chapters Lamson also discusses the contributions of the town of Weston to the various colonial and later wars. There are lists of Weston men who served in King Philip's War, the French and Indian Wars, the Revolution and the Civil War.
In the discussions of town records, Lamson transcribes several early tax lists for Weston. A number of appendices list the town officers, including selectmen, town clerks, town treasurers and representatives to the General Court.
Summary by Robert Charles Anderson, FASG
for Archive CD Books USA
The CD includes high-quality images of every page as originally published (not just a transcript) and is fully searchable using Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or later recommended) on any Windows, Macintosh, or Unix computer. The data on this CD is completely self-contained, and requires no installation.