Dave Dalton

Project Explorer V7 cannot filter primary only

I've discovered a difference between V6 and V7.01 that I believe is a problem.

I want to filter the Project Explorer to show primary names only so I can move through all the entries with a single click per person. The Project Explorer Filter dialogue allows me to do that with V6, but with V7 I must enter a value in the filter field or I get the message "Value cannot be empty." Is that a V7 bug, a feature, or am I missing something?

I can get around this by specifying an unused flag and then filtering on the value of that flag, which all entries will share. But that isn't the best answer.

There are a variety of issues with filters in v7.01 such as you have seen (involving checking for no value) and these should be fixed in v7.02.

I don't recall the specific PE filter at this time but the problem turned out to be when the Name_Birth tag was not the primary name tag. In that case both the Name_Birth and the Primary name appeared in the PE. When I get another failure, what information should I capture to report it? As I am doing a major cleanup, it may well rear its head again soon.

A little more input on this. I ran a filter for the PE and the output was correct, Primary names only. I then ran a report that reset soe of the flags that the PE filter was using. I then re-ran the PE filter and got "Both" names even though the filter still said "Primary only". I then clicked on Both and then on Primary and re-ran the filter and got correct output; Primary names only. So, this problem is that in some cases I get Both names even though the filter indicates I should only get Primary names. This may be my whole problem. I will watch and let you know if any other case shows up.

Some but not all changes that you make to tags refresh the PE filter. After some changes, you might need to clear and reset the PE filter.

I know that the PE ilter re-runs after a change (sometimes) but I didn't expect the filter itself to be changed so that it would include Both names while still indicating that Primary was selected. I think the problem is that Primary is still indicated when Both is selected. When I select something other than Primary and then select Primary again the filter works fine. If I don't, I get both even though the filter inicates that Primary is selecdted. As I expect this now, I always re-select Primary and don't have the problem.