brooks

School Graduation

I have been trying to fine a citation that would fit the need to document a school graduation, i.e. high or technical school, college, etc. So far no luck. I'm new at this forum. brooks

Hi, Brooks,

I'm not clear on just what you are trying to do here. A citation documents a Source, like a diploma, announcement, newspaper article, or the like. But the graduation was an Event, not a source.

You would record the Event in a Tag, then add a citation to the source which tells you that the event happened. Perhaps if you explain a bit more exactly what you are trying to do we can offer more specific suggestions.

Hi, Brooks,

I'm not clear on just what you are trying to do here. A citation documents a Source, like a diploma, announcement, newspaper article, or the like. But the graduation was an Event, not a source.

You would record the Event in a Tag, then add a citation to the source which tells you that the event happened. Perhaps if you explain a bit more exactly what you are trying to do we can offer more specific suggestions.

Hello, Brooks -

I found some suggestions for graduation sources in the archives of the TMG rootsweb mailing list - including, for example, the invitation as a source, or personal knowledge of yourself or someone who attended the graduation. The search engine for the mailing list archives is at

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search

I entered 'source for graduation' in the Body field of the search form and found about 50 messages on that subject.

The mailing list is particularly good for beginner how-to questions. They are a friendly group with lots of newbies as well as more experienced users. You can subscribe to the mailing list at

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/Software/TMG.html

If you are new to the forum, you may find the Reply process not very intuitive. After clicking on Reply, enter your own text at the very end of the quoted text - after the notation. When you finish entering your message, scroll way down the screen until you find the 'Add Reply' button. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps -

Virginia

I have been trying to fine a citation that would fit the need to document a school graduation, i.e. high or technical school, college, etc. So far no luck. I'm new at this forum. brooks

Virginia, Thanks for the information. Haven't had a chance to use it, but will try to get it done tomorrow.

I'm a little out of using tMGv7 as my wife has Parkinsons and that takes alot of my time, and I'm not as young as I think..83. But thanks again. Brooks

Terry, I tried to send you a reply yesterday and I keep getting lost in this forun, but I think I'm getting a hang of it.

I have your book and also Lee Hoffman's. They areboth very good.

What I wanted was how to write the citation. I got most of the data in the program, but when I got to the citation part, I keep getting notations that I didn't recognize. No, I didn't write down thos notation. Sorry. Brooks

Hi, Brooks,

Terry, I tried to send you a reply yesterday and I keep getting lost in this forun, but I think I'm getting a hang of it.

I have your book and also Lee Hoffman's. They areboth very good.

What I wanted was how to write the citation. I got most of the data in the program, but when I got to the citation part, I keep getting notations that I didn't recognize. No, I didn't write down thos notation. Sorry. Brooks

Hi, Brooks,

Yes, the forum takes some getting used to if you've not used one before.

I'm still not really clear where you are running into difficulty. I'd suggest this... Go to Chapter 6 of my book, which works step-by-step through defining a Source, then Citing it for specific events. Follow along each step as you try to create your source and then your citation. Then come back here when you have difficulty, and tell us just how far you got and at what point it failed for you. We can then work on solutions from there.

Hi, Brooks,

I'm still not really clear where you are running into difficulty. I'd suggest this... Go to Chapter 6 of my book, which works step-by-step through defining a Source, then Citing it for specific events. Follow along each step as you try to create your source and then your citation. Then come back here when you have difficulty, and tell us just how far you got and at what point it failed for you. We can then work on solutions from there.

Terry, Thanks you for the assistance. Will follow your instruction. Brooks

Hi, Brooks,

Terry, Thanks you for the assistance. Will follow your instruction. Brooks