Dave Dalton

How to create a new Timeline from an existing one

I need a timeline that reflects what was happening in New France generally and Acadia (now Nova Scotia) specifically from the time of the initial settlement in the early 1600s to around 1770, some time after "Le Grand Derangement". I plan to display this timeline in the person details screen while I am adding tags to assist me with keeping place names and such straight, and to serve as a reminder to properly document these things as I go through adding all the tags for a person.

I would like to begin with Gregg Stott's Canada timeline, as it contains many of the events that I will incorporate into the Acadia version, copy it to an Acadia timeline, and modify and add appropriately. How can I accomplish this? I haven't found a way to copy an existing timeline then edit it. Can this be done? Is there a way to manipulate the timeline component files in the timelines folder (.dbf, .dbt, and .doc) directly to end up with a new timeline that can then be edited? Anything?

First, I am not an expert with this feature, but have done a quick experiment.

In the timeline folder, copy each of the Canada timeline files (.dbf, .dbt, and .doc) and paste the copy in the timelines folder. Rename each of the copies, e.g., MyAcadia.dbf, MyAcadia.dbt, MyAcadia.doc. Then, cross your fingers, the timeline should be available to you in TMG for your additions, etc.

By the way, I found a timelines folder in both the program folder and in my documents, TMG7 folder. I made the file copies in my documents, TMG7 folder.

Hope this works ok for you, as I said above, I'm not an expert.

Thanks. That worked. Actually, I had tried that earlier, but while TMG was up and running, and had not exited TMG and restarted it. TMG apparently loads all its files at TMG startup, so won't recognize an additional timeline until next time it is started.