Genesis Project

Rootsweb Web Searches

I recently purchased V7 and am having a problem with searching Rootsweb. When I click the web button IE V7 opens to the right page but the results are blank. By "blank" I mean there is nothing there ... nothing describing the results of the search. I V6 of TMG and it worked fine until recently then it stopped working there as well.

I don't know if Rootsweb done something on their site to make this feature inoperative or not. Just before purchasing TMG V7 I had a problem with my computer and took it all the way back to out of factory condition so it isn't my computer.

BTW -- I checked and searching FamilySearch seems to be working just fine. Since the LDS church dis-continued adding records to the Ancestral File database I prefer Rootsweb and would really like that feature to work. Its one of the things I like about TMG.

I bet it is related to their adding ancestry to their web address. I know ancestry made it so you couldn't runs searches the way we used to be able to. Maybe they did the same thing to rootsweb....

I recently purchased V7 and am having a problem with searching Rootsweb. When I click the web button IE V7 opens to the right page but the results are blank. By "blank" I mean there is nothing there ... nothing describing the results of the search. I V6 of TMG and it worked fine until recently then it stopped working there as well.

I don't know if Rootsweb done something on their site to make this feature inoperative or not. Just before purchasing TMG V7 I had a problem with my computer and took it all the way back to out of factory condition so it isn't my computer.

BTW -- I checked and searching FamilySearch seems to be working just fine. Since the LDS church dis-continued adding records to the Ancestral File database I prefer Rootsweb and would really like that feature to work. Its one of the things I like about TMG.

I am having the same problem, Can anyone help please

Add me to the list of those with this problem. On the screen with blank results, I can enter the name that was the object of the search (as I assume the others can), but that sort of defeats the purpose of the feature.

Another, related question: Are Family Search and RootsWeb the only 2 sites that can be accessed by use of the Web button? I've only been using TMG for a few months, but I thought that with V.6 more than 2 sites were shown.

This is a 'try nailing jello to the wall issue'. Websites change.

In the case of RootsWeb, the site has changed such that you can no longer pass parameters with a URL to make the search 'automatic'.

The other sites have disappeared or changed in a way that no longer lets TMG use them. I imagine that eventually it will be possible to add the Ancestry search back.

I have the same problems as well. In addition, clicking Web Search usually opens two instances of RootsWeb (both blank).

The first to come up is LDS FamilySearch. It searches with exact spelling on. It would be nice sometimes to have a choice before searching. Besides that, it doesn't come up with any positive results. I have used FamilySearch many times and found the same person that it can't find through TMG.

I had tried out Family Tree Maker 2009 and they seem to be well integrated with Ancestry.com. It works pretty slick and even has a merge feature that lets you select which tags you want to merge into your data.

Maybe TMG version 8 will improve in this area.

I have the same problems as well. In addition, clicking Web Search usually opens two instances of RootsWeb (both blank).

The first to come up is LDS FamilySearch. It searches with exact spelling on. It would be nice sometimes to have a choice before searching. Besides that, it doesn't come up with any positive results. I have used FamilySearch many times and found the same person that it can't find through TMG.

I had tried out Family Tree Maker 2009 and they seem to be well integrated with Ancestry.com. It works pretty slick and even has a merge feature that lets you select which tags you want to merge into your data.

Maybe TMG version 8 will improve in this area.

I personally want TMG to stay as far away as possible from intergrating with Ancestry...

unless Bob takes over the programming and Quality Control departments at Ancestry!

I use Ancestry a lot but always manually key in whatever I find there- I'd hate to think of a feature that would feed into TMG the Ancestry data like their member trees do {SHUDDER!}

I had tried out Family Tree Maker 2009 and they seem to be well integrated with Ancestry.com.

Both are owned by the same company. I would hope that FTM 2009 would work well with Ancestry.