John Stark

System Crash : Sentence Preview

TMG7UK consistently crashes when scrolling a sentence preview.

Circumstances:

- Entered a death cause. Memo field contents: Mitral Reguritation ([iTAL:]failure of a heart valve[:ITAL])

- The default sentence structure did not produced desired results. Tag default sentence was amended to [PGS] cause of death was recorded as [M]

- On inspection, the text looked correct, but in Sentence Preview the text was on two lines, with only the second line visible.

- On selecting the scroll up arrow, the system crashes.

vpf9rerr.log

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2008.05.06 12:55:31 PM. Error log file: C:\Windows\System32\vfp9rerr.log

Called from - tmgmain line 556 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\tmg7.exe}

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2008.05.06 01:30:09 PM. Error log file: C:\Windows\System32\vfp9rerr.log

Called from - tmgmain line 556 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\tmg7.exe}

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2008.05.06 01:34:43 PM. Error log file: C:\Windows\System32\vfp9rerr.log

John,

Works perfectly for me in the current test build even with only one line of the preview showing.

Increase the height of the screen by dragging the bottom border down and the preview will show several lines and you'll have no need to scroll.

The C0000005 is from Visual FoxPro and, in this case, is probably a timing issue.

Jim

John,

Works perfectly for me in the current test build even with only one line of the preview showing.

Works OK for me too on another person. Restesting the original entry still crashes the program.

Increase the height of the screen by dragging the bottom border down and the preview will show several lines and you'll have no need to scroll.

Understood. It's not a problem for me - I was more concerned about the cause of the crash. I'm happy, but let me know if you want more details of the circumstances for future reference.

John,

Works OK for me too on another person. Restesting the original entry still crashes the program.

John,

this is not totally clear to me. Please forgive me asking.

Are you saying that this exactly identical sentence producing output text which flows over two lines works for another person.... say when you use it for another person in your project and scroll the sentence preview then TMG does not crash?

John,

Are you using normal or large system display fonts? An issue occurred in the past with the CD field and it had to do with when the text in the line would break to wrap to the next line. This appears to be a similar issue.

Send me a screenshot of the Sentence structures screen after you open the tag in question and before you click on the scroll button. We need to see exactly where the text is breaking to wrap to the next line.

You can send me an email by clicking on the link below:

Jim Byram

Jim,

I'm having problems with email. I will respond as soon as I can.

JAS

John,

this is not totally clear to me. Please forgive me asking.

Are you saying that this exactly identical sentence producing output text which flows over two lines works for another person.... say when you use it for another person in your project and scroll the sentence preview then TMG does not crash?

Hello Vera,

The sentences were not identical. Jim Byram has asked for evidence and I will be sending this to him soon.

Thank you for your interest.

JAS