mikejef

GOTERM and other problems

I am running 7.01 , UK version, as I said in an earlier post on a virtual XP machine on an iMac. I have just uninstalled this; downloaded another from TMG and reinstalled and registered etc. It still starts with the GOTERM three screens which I instruct it to ignore and it then seems to work fine. However on closing the screen goes blank and the screen where TMG was remains as a grey rectangle with the ususal blue edge; it does not detatch from the system. In addition I cannot get it to remember where the last project used is and have to reload it every time; the first two options on the startup screen are greyed out. This has been the case with version 7.00 too.

Michael

:excl:Please note this answer applies to running TMG in a Virtual Machine on an Intel Processor Mac using Parallels :excl:

This may help with TMG forgetting the last project. I'm not seeing the GOTERM issue, I'm running TMG 7.1 in a WinXP Pro Virtual Machine on a MacBook Pro, Parallels Desktop 3.0 Build 5584

:question: Check your settings for Shared Folders, and Shared User Profile in the virtual machine :question:

With settings listed below installing/running TMG 7 creates The Master Genealogist v7 folder and all the required sub folders in the Mac path: Macintosh HD\Users\username\Documents

Shared Folders:

Share Windows folders to Mac

Checked: All Windows disks

Checked: Mount virtual disks to Mac desktop

Unchecked: Enable Spotlight processing

Share Mac folders to Windows

Unchecked: All Mac disks

Checked: Home folder

Checked: User-defined folders

Checked: Map folders to drive letters

Shared User Profile:

Shared Profile Status

Checked: Enabled

Use Mac User Profile in Windows

Checked: Desktop as Desktop in Windows

Checked: Documents as My Documents in Windows

Checked: Pictures as My Pictures in Windows

Checked: Music as My Music in Windows

To resolve the issue of TMG forgetting the last used project I had to use a Data_paths.txt file as described in Customizing Data File Storage. See: Help Topic: Data File Storage, For Advanced Users. I don't remember if I had to recreate The Master Genealogist v7 folder structure in C:\Documents and settings\username\My Documents\ manually or if TMG created it. In either case it needs to exist in both the Mac path and the Windows path. I believe if you delete it from the Mac path TMG will recreate it, the folders will be empty, I just ignore them.

:excl:Projects & related files are stored in the Windows path. :excl:

My Data_paths.txt file looks like this:

[Glenn]

UserData=C:\Documents and settings\Glenn\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\

An alternative may be to NOT share the User Profile.

Glenn,

I have tried the above with no success; including deleting and reinstalling several times and trying to remove all traces of the previous install.

Is there anyone around who knows what the GOTERM message refers to? This might give a clue as to why it is happening.

Michael

Michael

Perhaps posting the full text of the GOTERM error messages, might help someone diagnose that problem.

Just a thought. Have you tried setting the Check for Updates and Check for Messages to 0 in the TMG preferences?

Since my last post there has been a OS X update and I've updated Parallels to build 5600, WinXP to SP3, and TMG to v7.02

I can't think of any other virtual machine settings that might effect TMG

Michael -

You can find the full text of TMG error messages in the error.txt file in the Logs folder:

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Logs

Windows XP and Windows 2000:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Logs

The messages are time-stamped; note that the first message in an incident is the only one of interest.

Virginia

:excl:Please note this answer applies to running TMG in a Virtual Machine on an Intel Processor Mac using Parallels :excl:

Greetings Michael

I just completed a little testing and I can replicate the GOTERM error.

• If the virtual machine is configured to redirect the Windows My Documents folder to Documents (Mac) AND Data_paths.txt file does not exist, I can get the GOTERM error.

There are two ways I've found to resolve the problem.

The simple choice is to disable (un-check) Documents as My Documents in Windows, this is found in the Shared Profile Options on the virtual machine Configuration Editor.

This choice makes the Windows My Documents folder the default for the virtual machine.

More complicated but IMO the better choice is to enable Documents as My Documents in Windows. This redirects the Windows My Documents to Documents on your Mac.

However using this choice you MUST create a Data_paths.txt in the TMG Program Files folder [C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7]

As I mentioned in my previous post this is covered in TMG Help: Data File Storage, For Advanced Users & Customizing Data File Storage.

In the example I posted earlier, you would substitute your Windows user name inside the brackets and in the path.

In either configuration the TMG data files are saved in the Windows path.

Many thanks for the input Glenn and all the trouble you went to, I do appreciate it.

I uninstalled TMG again, removed all the TMG folders in the windows paths; I re-read all your advice; checked all the settings, redid the data-paths.txt file and the instructions for it in the TMG help file before starting the new install of TMG.

It now is working as hoped for (apart from resetting the exhibits which comes later).

Many thanks again.

A timely thread for me, but some information above does not jive with what I'm seeing:

First, TMG help says the Data_paths.txt file should have FOUR lines, not the two as in Glenn's example (i.e. you need to also define shared & user program data file paths).

So I am hesitant to try this without all 4 lines.

Second, after setting up the shared profiles and shared user profile settings as Glenn initially described, I see a problem:

My account's (Administrator's) "My Documents" folder should be as per my Mac's "Documents" folder, so I would have thought.

But the contents of "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents" does NOT match the contents of my Mac's "Documents" folder.

So I am confused about how this can work or at least what is going on???

I'll try it anyway and report the results. But if anyone can help, please do!

Regards,

Strathglass

So I tried anyway with just the one line in the data paths text file for the user data:

First, note that "My Documents" is actually mapped to \\.PSF\.Home\Documents (somewhat as expected).

However "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents" does not match what is in the real "My Documents" folder. Not sure why it wouldn't.

Anyways, putting the user data path under \\.PSF\.Home\Documents didn't fix the GOTERM problem.

In fact, that seemed to have no effect as the user data folder was created with the default name (in the real "My Documents" folder and visible as expected also in Mac's "Documents" folder) and not the name I used in data paths text file.

So next I deleted the just-created user data directory and changed data paths text file so that user data was now "UserData=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\TMG7-User-Data\".

This does indeed seem to fix the GOTERM error.

But of course the TMG7-User-Data folder is not in "My Documents" (Mac's "Documents" folder), but rather in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents" - which is NOT the same thing!???

So I don't really know what the real intent of all this is, and how things should really appear!

I will shortly actually try to load a project backup from my PC to see what happens.

-Strathglass

As near as I can tell TMG has problems with a path that does not start with a drive letter. :no: \\.PSF\... :no:

You will NOT be able to save project files in the Mac Documents folder. :nono:

This means you have remember when navigating to your project folder you can't navigate from the start menu My Documents :wallbash: [which is redirected to the Mac Documents folder] instead you have to access them via C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7, or wherever you've saved your projects.

Regarding Data_paths.txt read item 2d in Help > Customizing Data File Storage

It looks like once you get TMG setup and working with a Data_paths.txt file you can delete the The Master Genealogist v7 folder along with subfolders from the Mac Documents folder and TMG won't recreate them.

Edited by ggilbert1

Thanks for clarifying Glenn - what you say makes sense based on what I've seen.

Only issue: I can't get TMG to start automatically (figured out how to get icon on Mac's task bar [or whatever its called on Mac!], but it doesn't actually start TMG, just Parallels desktop).

I also would like to know if I can back up to my Mac "Documents" folder: I will have to try that.

Also, in conclusion: does anyone know how Fusion does with TMG? Would I be better to use it?

Maybe I'll have to try it out too!

-Strathglass

Only issue: I can't get TMG to start automatically (figured out how to get icon on Mac's task bar [or whatever its called on Mac!], but it doesn't actually start TMG, just Parallels desktop).

Mac equivalent is called The Dock

That makes sense, the virtual machine has to be running before you can start TMG.

Looks like backup ~ restore is OK with \\.PSF\... so my comment in previous post about TMG having problems with a path that does not start with a drive letter does not apply at least for backup & restore.

Hi Glenn and others:

I'm installing TMG 7 on an Intel based iMac; running Windows 7 under Fusion 3.

At startup, I rec'd the GOTERM error messages. Clicked ignore.

Created the Data Storage folders within a new folder (ATMG) on the C drive.

In the restore process, TMG wanted to used vmware's shared folders; I redirected each of the options to the appropriate newly-created folder under ATMG.

File restored, and I've been able to back up the file; however, at each restart, I'm rec'ving the GOTERM error messages, etc. Although TMG doesn't load the last file and the select "last file" option is dimmed, when I click "Select" [project] the project file appears in the correct location and loads.

I'm new to the iMac, Fusion and Win 7. Read your 9 May 2008 response regarding Parallels. Hoping you or others might know if there are similar instructions for installing under Fusion 3/Win 7.

Thank you for what ever assistance you are able to provide. --GJ

Edited by genejunky

genejunky - you didn't mention having created a data_paths.txt file, you might want to give that a try.

Read the help topic Customizing Data File Storage.

I think Win 7 uses the same shared program data and user program data paths as Vista so follow the examples for Vista, adjusting paths as necessary for your user data folder.

:evo: Please let us know if the data-paths.txt file works for Fusion, this will help others using TMG in this type of environment :evo:

Edited by ggilbert1

Hi Glenn:

Many changes since my last post, and your courteous response. I was not able to make a go of OS 10.6.1/Fustion3/Win 7 64-bit Professional on the iMac 2CD. An upgraded iMac arrived Friday, came preinstalled with Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Reading your various postings, I opted to outfit this with Parallels 5 (rather than Fusion 3) and Win 7 64-bit (Home Premium).

Installed TMG, with default set up. Sample project opened without any problem. TMG's “sample” project seems to like the installation, but the program isn’t at all agreeable to restoring my main project with those same defaults. If I copy the sqz file to the default backups folder and direct the restored project to the default project folder, TMG returns error, “Wrong Destination Path.”

Here’s the way the Restore Wizard reports those locations when it returns the error.

Backup File:

\\.psf\Home\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Backups\Fathers' Day7 2009-12-05 17-25-11.sqz

Project File (“Restore project to this folder”):

\\.psf\Home\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects

Exhibits (“Restore….”):

\\.psf\Home\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits

I’m guessing my TMG folders might be in the shared drive space? [user “browses” to the locations via Computer > Home on ‘.psf’ (Z:)” > Documents > The Master Genealogist > ….] I might be one day more familiar with the Mac than Parallels. Sure am glad to have a computer again.

--GJ

P.S. I assume my issues the first go around had more to do with too many brand new things (new OS X, new Windows, new Fusion, new iMac, etc.).

Edited by genejunky

I just finished updating to Parallels 5, but still running Win XP Pro :oneeye: it appears Parallels 5 uses the same scheme to map the Windows My Documents folder to the MAC documents folder.

:yes: It is NECESSARY that you use a data_paths.txt file :yes:

You have to store your projects in the Windows file system NOT :nono: the OS X file system

:lookaround: Please read the TMG help topic Customizing Data File Storage. Follow the examples given for Windows Vista :lookaround:

See my post of 17 Jun 2008, 08:51 AM above :rolleyes:

My data_paths.txt file is very simple

[Glenn]

UserData=C:\Documents and Settings\Glenn\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\

For Vista & 7 it would be

[username]

UserData=C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

replace username with your Windows 7 account name

Your project files should be in C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects

You probably can experiment with the location of exhibits.

When navigating to your project folders you can't navigate from the Win Start menu because the Documents button is redirected to the the Mac Document folder, you have to navigate using Computer, then Local Disk C > Users > username > Documents > The Master Genealogist v7 > Projects.

You can save your backup .sqz files in the Mac Documents folder so they get backed up with Time Machine, but project files MUST be located in the Windows file system. On the Virtual Machine Configuration, General window you can choose to back up the VM with Time Machine, but I believe that will backup the entire VM not just data files.

Edited by ggilbert1

Hi Glenn:

Thank you again.

Feeling a little foolish here. I installed Windows 7 Home (64-bit) on the iMac (under Parallels v5); pretty much a default installation. When I navigate to the C drive, the folders created by Windows (as subdirectories to the C drive), below, seem a little bit WinXP and a little bit Vista:

PerfLogs

Program Files

Program Files (x86) [This is where TMG installs by default]

Users

Windows

Meandering further down the C drive, the User folder (one level down from Users, above), has several subdirectories, but none named "AppData" or "Roaming."

Believe I've figured out where to save the Data_text.txt file, just not sure of the actual paths I want to create/document in the text files. Below are the example Vista paths from TMG Help:

[username]

SharedProgramData=C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

UserProgramData=C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

Hi Jim.

Thank you for responding to my inquiry.

Data_paths.txt, not Data_text.txt

Sorry. My typo.

Please read the Data File Storage help topic and the three underlying topics.

Have been. Even printed personal copies to reference during spells when TMG was uninstalled. I understand that Windows 7 is a little more forgiving than Visa. but wish not to create a path that might cause conflict in Windows OR TMG.

Help topic is very clear on this the Data_paths.txt file should be in the The Master Genealogist v7 program folder.

Once you setup the Data_paths.txt file and start TMG the folders will be created in the path(s) specified in the Data_paths.txt file.

TMG will create the folders you shouldn't have to.

You probably don't need specify anything other than the user data path

[username]

The folders/files in the SharedProgramData path and the UserProgramData path have probably already been created. If you don't see them they are hidden. Use the folder options to show them.

Edited by ggilbert1

Hi Glenn:

Thank you for responding.

I'm guessing my earlier message wasn't clear enough. I figured out where to save the text file, and, yes, help is clear on that topic.

What I'm not clear about are the paths I should use. Timid. Hesitate to use Vista-like program terminology in the Win 7 machine for fear it might develop a conflilct. Shared Program Data Files aren't a problem, its the location for User Program Data Files and User Data Files that has me hesitant.

--GJ

Help topic is very clear on this the Data_paths.txt file should be in the The Master Genealogist v7 program folder.

Once you setup the Data_paths.txt file and start TMG the folders will be created in the path(s) specified in the Data_paths.txt file.

TMG will create the folders you shouldn't have to.

Edited by genejunky

I believe the paths shown for Vista are the same as those used in Windows 7. You should check to see if the TMG folders already exist in Shared Program Data and User Program Data, probably the only path you need to specify is the Documents path. Because Parallels redirects this to the Mac Documents folder, when TMG creates the folders it creates them in the Mac Documents folder, but as I've mentioned in the post of 17 Jun 2008, 08:51 AM TMG does not seem to like \\.PSF\ therefore we need to use the Data_paths.txt file to redirect them back to where they should be in a standard Windows installation.

:ph34r:

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 7 or Vista - click on the Organize button in any folder, and then select “Folder and Search Options” from the menu. Click the View tab, and then select “Show hidden files and folders” in the list.
:ph34r:

Oh Glenn:

Thank you, thank you!

Indeed I hadn't turned on "view hidden files." Had made other changes to those options; embarassed that I missed it.

I should be off an running now. TYTY --GJ