mikejef

GOTERM and other problems

Let us know if you get it working and are able to restore your project.

Let us know if you get it working and are able to restore your project.

Hi Glenn:

Despite your efforts, I haven't been able to convince "GOTERM" to go fish.

Since my note earlier ("...should be off and running"), have tried the installation and restore perhaps 10 times. Now quite good at deleting the various folders! Even uninstalled and reinstalled the VM. When it still didn't work, I called in reinforcements so that a buddy watched over my shoulder on the last few attempts. Content of the Data_paths.txt file (created in notepad) is below:

[Administrator]

SharedProgramData=C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

UserProgramData=C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

UserData=C:\Users\Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Earlier you indicated the Win 7 file structures might be like Vista. They are close, except appears my Win 7 Home Premium version, 64 bit, creates the path "username > My Documents," rather than "username > Documents" used by my old Vista Business version. Along the same lines, TMG's program files are in the directory, "Program Files (x86)." [*]

At is stands now, after several GOTERM error messages, TMG does open. While I can't use the "last" project button, am able to select and open the restored project. In the morning, I'll try again using just the [first and fourth] line of in the Data_paths.txt file, something you suggested earlier. [*]

--GJ

[*] Update:

(1) Probably goes without saying that Win 7's "Libraries" feature is new, at least to me in its Win 7 form.

(2) My GOTERM issues were still present after limiting the Data_paths.txt file to the first and fourth line.

I'm a new Mac/OS 10/Parallels/Win 7 user; however, I made notes in several of the installation attempts that one of the data paths reports in all capital letters in one part of the install process. I've written, "Might this weird all-caps-directory name thing be directive about the mistake I'm making?"

Select Parallels 5 settings [Parallels Desktop : Virtual Machine Configuration > Options]

Shared Folders

Share these Mac folders: Home folder

User-defined Max OS X folders: [none defined]

Checked: Access Windows Folders from Mac

Checked: Mount virtual disks to Mac OS X desktop.

Shared Profile -- ALL boxes checked:

Enable Shared Profile: Redirect Windows user folders to Mac:

Desktop

Documents

Pictures

Music

Movies

Downloads

Edited by genejunky

I don't have Win7 or Vista... it would be helpful if someone running Win7 jumps in here... :whistle:

If Win 7 creates c:\users\username\My Documents instead of c:\users\username\Documents then the user data path should be

[username]

UserData=C:\Users\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

:question: What account do you use when you log on to Win 7 :question:

Is the account "Admin" which is a different than the "Administrator" account; username in the data_paths.txt file MUST be user name of the account that is logged in when you run Win 7.

:question: Another issue: - Isn't the "Administrator" account on Win 7 disabled by default :question:

It's a super administrator account and it takes running a command line command to turn it on.

If your data_paths.txt file specifies Administrator and that account isn't enabled that would explain the continued goterm error.

:question: Are you installing TMG for ALL users :question: If you aren't you probably should.

You probably don't need to keep uninstalling and reinstalling... once TMG has created the Shared Program Data folders and files and the User Program Data folders and files in the default paths you don't need to remove them.

:wink: All you need to do is figure out the proper User Data path and setup the data_paths.txt file accordingly.

:ph34r: While working on this issue with another user off-list I found that I could simply change the name of [a properly configured] data_paths.txt file and force the goterm error, when I changed the name back to data_paths.txt the goterm error goes away and TMG runs normally.

VM configuration

Shared Folders:

Share these Mac Folders: All disks

User-defined: N/A

Checked: Access Windows folders from Mac

Checked: Mount virtual disks to Mac OS X desktop

Shared Profile:

All items checked

Shared Applications:

Checked: Share Windows applications with Mac OS X

UN-Checked: Show Windows applications folder in Dock

UN-Checked: Pause the virtual machine when no applications are running

Checked: Enable Smart Select - [configured for each app]

Checked: Share Mac OS X applications with Windows

Smart Mount:

Checked: Enable SmartMount (Map Mac volumes to the virtual machine)

Checked: Removable Drives

Checked: CD/DVD drives

Checked: Network folders

Edited by ggilbert1

Glenn,

The documents folder under Win7 can be either "Documents" or "My Documents" depending on how the install was done. As you said, the TMG user data folder path just needs to be adjusted as appropriate.

The default TMG install is for an All Users installation and there should be no reason not to do that.

Jim

Thanks Jim, didn't know there was a choice of "Documents" or "My Documents" in the Win 7 install...

It's been a while since I did a TMG install and I don't recall if the choice to install for the current user or all users was in the default install or if it's an option in a custom install.

Thanks Jim, didn't know there was a choice of "Documents" or "My Documents" in the Win 7 install...

There isn't. It just sort of happens. When 'My Documents' has shown up, I've just changed it back to 'Documents'.

I suspect that I've run into this when relocating the Documents folder and have seen it propagated back to the personal section in the Start menu. Maybe it's just MS trying to be friendly to people updating from WinXP. Who knows? In any event, it's a minor annoyance that is easily corrected.

I've also seen it happen with Music, Pictures and Videos and have made the same corrections with those folders when it happened. I've done lots of Win7 installs over the last 11 months.

Hi Glenn:

Thank you again.

You wrote, "if ... Win 7 creates c:\users\username\My Documents ... then the user data path should be

[username]

UserData=C:\Users\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7"

It did/I have.

Can't imagine there is a way to accomplish a more "default" installation of Win 7 in Parallels than I made. It did set up "My Documents." (Have a screen shot; will think of a way to get it to you.) Earlier posted the user data path:

[Administrator]

UserData=C:\Users\Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

You wrote, "What account do you use when you log on to Win 7 ... Is the account "Admin" which is a different than the "Administrator" account ... username in the data_paths.txt file MUST be user name of the account that is logged in when you run Win 7. ... Isn't the "Administrator" account on Win 7 ... super administrator account and it takes running a command line command to turn it on.

If your data_paths.txt file specifies Administrator and that account isn't enabled that would explain the continued goterm error."

I don't log into Windows, per se. Parallels, “Getting Started with Parallels Desktop [5],” ch. 4 (“Adding Virtual Machines”), p. 16, “When creating a Windows virtual machine, Parallels Desktop creates an administrator account with a blank password. When the guest OS installation is complete, we recommend that you change the password.” (http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Getting_Started_With_Parallels_Desktop.pdf )

When I start the installed Virtual Machine (Win 7), Parallels 5 logs me in automatically as this "Administrator." Clicking on "Switch User" confirms same.

After reading GOTERM topics, spent much time on Win 7 user account "stuff" including the properties of the Parallels default administrator account and user options relative to that account. Yesterday a.m. spoke with MS Tech Support about same. Earlier, I had read about and followed instructions to enable the "Windows 7 Built-in Administrator Account." To the extent I was auto-logged-in to that account by Parallels,* could not delete that account, was unable to enable or find any such "Administrator" hidden account, etc. (could go on and on) and after the lengthy MS Tech calls .... came to assume the account installed by Parallels 5 is that "super Administrator" account (otherwise, the "hidden" administrator account). As earlier, since engaging in all that tinkering, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Win 7 VM.

Some references about the hidden Win 7 administrator account:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-b...le-disable.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

You wrote, "Are you installing TMG for ALL users..."

Yes, I am. The process seems to add another user account in Win 7, "All Users." As well, accounts, "Default User" (not accessible) and "Default" appear as User folders, dated 13 Jul 2009 and 14 Jul 2009 (dates consistent with other MS Win 7 program files).

You wrote, "While working on this issue with another user off-list I found that I could simply change the name of [a properly configured] data_paths.txt file and force the goterm error, when I changed the name back to data_paths.txt the goterm error goes away and TMG runs normally."

World peace, too?

You wrote, "VM configuration ... Shared Folders ... Shared Profile ... Shared Applications ... Smart Mount..."

There are only two differences in my settings, as below:

(1) Shared Folders: I'm not sharing Mac folders with all disks. Mine is set to "Home Folder." Assume my setting is the default.

(2) Shared Application: I do have the Windows applications folder on the Mac dock. Ditto, assume my setting is default, but this might also relate to the Parallels view options ("Crystal," "Coherence," or "Windows").

BTW, I am running Parallels in "Window" mode (as opposed to Parallels' sexier Crystal or Coherence modes).

I see that Jim has also posted. Sure do appreciate all the help. --GJ

P.S. Parallels seems to have a TMG file/folder on the Mac side. See "\\.psf\Home\Documents\Parallels\Windows 7.pvm" ... in which we find, "Windows Applications" ... containing folder "The Master Genealogist.app."

Edited by genejunky

Hi Jim:

I too prefer the Vista directory names (Documents, Pictures, etc.). Once I'm over the GOTERM hump, I may reinstall again to eliminate all those "mys."

Thanks for all your help. --GJ

Edited by genejunky

Hi Glenn and Jim:

In an earlier note, I mentioned the strange "all caps" directory name. In the process of making some screen shots, I've tracked down those references. Perhaps those who understand TMG and Windows programming can tell if these items are relevant to my issue.

My earlier note is clear about the contents of my Data_paths.txt file for TMG's User Data.

When I open TMG, I still rec'v the GOTERM warnings. The program opens, but it isn't able to locate my "last" project. Rather, I choose "Select" and then...

(1) ....navigate to C:\Users\Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\XXXX.PJC and open the project.

Once open, if I backup that project, TMG does not recognize the project path. The TMG Backup Wizard, Step 2: Data, reports the paths below:

Select project: Current project

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\XXXX.PJC

[note: doesn't recognized folder, "My Documents."]

Select backup file: Generate archive name automatically

C:\Users\Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Backups\XXXX.sqz

(2)...select the project file from the "Open Project File" window. The path for that project is:

C:\Users\Administrator\My Documents\THE MASTER GENEALOGIST v7\Projects\XXXX.PJC.

[note: here's that noticeably "all caps" directory title]

Once open, if I back up that project, TMG provides another variation of the project paths:

Select project: Current project

C:\Users\Administrator\My Documents\THE MASTER GENEALOGIST v7\Projects\XXXX.PJC

[note: recognized "My Documents" but has that same "all caps" directory title]

Select backup file: Generate archive name automatically

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Backups\XXXX.sqz

Made quite a few screen shots. Hope these anomalies help to isolate the issue. --GJ

I can't imagine that Parallels a. enables and b. uses the super administrator account as the default windows account!!

I've got an Administrator account in my Win XP VM install I guess it was created when I installed XP in the VM, but I don't log into windows with that account.

I'm running a domain server on my home network, so I have it setup to require Ctrl+Alt+Del to login, and I login to windows with my domain user account.

It's been a long time since I installed Parallels and XP, and I don't remember the account options. Is it possible you are logged into windows using your Mac account login credentials?

Lets verify that TMG has created the Shared Program Data Files & the User Program Data Files.

Shared Program Data Files

Use Computer or My Computer (whatever Win 7 calls it)

When you open Computer you should see Local Disk (C:) open that, locate the ProgramData folder and open that, in that folder you should find a The Master Genealogist v7 folder, open that folder and you should find several folders and files, there are 16 files and 7 folders in my installation.

Folders include: Buttons, forUpdate, Frames, Graphics, Languages, RRW, sysData. Some of the subfolders contain a large number of files for example Buttons contains 590 small .bmp files.

User Program Data Files

Under each C:\Users\username you should have an AppData folder, and under that it's associated Roaming folder

Check each users AppData\Roaming folder until you find The Master Genealogist v7 folder.

This may give you a clue as to the account that you get logged into when you start Win 7

Until you get the data_paths.txt file working you won't find the User Data Files in the Windows path, you'll find them in the Mac Documents folder.

FWIW I changed my VM Shared Folders config from All disks to Home folder, and it didn't make any difference.

I believe the file \\.psf\Home\Documents\Parallels\Windows 7.pvm in your Mac Documents folder is the complete Virtual Machine, Windows 7 plus TMG and any other win app you have installed. If you navigate to the file in OS X, right click and choose Get Info you will see Kind: Parallels virtual machine, Size: is nearly 30Gb.

:question: genejunky have you tried running Win & TMG with the Shared Profile disabled :question:

Virtual Machine > Configure > Options > Shared Profile UN-Check Enable Shared Profile

If the VM is running you will be logged out of Windows, when you log back in My Documents or Documents will now be directed to the WINDOWS path.

If you haven't tried give it a shot and report your findings.

Another option which in my opinion may be your best bet is to create a user account in Win 7 and use that account instead of the "Administrator" account.

Also on Options > Security is the ability to Isolate Mac from Windows - I don't know if this is new in Parallels 5 or not. If all else fails give that a try.

Another thought, is/are Parallels Tools installed in Windows? ~ I don't think they show up in the start menu to check use control panel Win 7 equivalent of Add Remove Programs - Parallels Tools (just look)

Edited by ggilbert1

Hi Glenn:

Thank you again.

TMG 7.4 installation: Windows 7 (64-bit)/Parallels v5 on Mac OS X (10.6.2):

Checking Shared Program Data Files:

C:/Program Data/The Master Genealogist v7/ProgramData

Folder in above path contains 17 items, including the six subdirectories, ala Buttons, Frames, Graphics, Languages, RRW, SysData (I have no folder, “forUpdate”).

These folders present appear generally as you have described those found in your XP installation. Buttons contains 586 items, for example.

Checking User Program Data Files.

This Windows 7 installation has only one user, “Administrator.”

C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/The Master Genealogist v7

Folder in above path contains 48 files.

You wrote, “….clue as to the account that you get logged into when you start Win 7”

“Control panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts” reports only one user, “Administrator.” As well, I can “log out,” and “log in.” The only option available for log in is “Administrator.”

Does this information help? --GJ

Edited by genejunky

It sounds like the Shared Program Data folders/files and the User Program Data folders/files is as expected.

I'll assume there isn't a The Master Genealogist v7 folder under C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\ (or My Documents as the case may be)

I think there are issues with the "Administrator" account Parallels created which I'm not picking up on. I think it would be a good test to set up another user account in Windows, that way you know for sure the username to specify in the data_paths.txt file.

Hi Glenn:

You wrote, "I'll assume there isn't a The Master Genealogist v7 folder under C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\ (or My Documents as the case may be)"

Au contraire. In the path, C:\Users\Administrator\My Documents, "The Master Genealogist v7" folder and its subfolders were created by the Data_paths.txt.

You wrote, "....the "Administrator" account Parallels created."

It's possible. On Tuesday/Wednesday, if I set up a second Win 7 user, I was still being logged in as the Administrator ... had to remember to log out and log back in as that second user. On more than one occasion, found I was logged in as _both_ Administrator and the second user.

While I'm new to all of this, did find an interesting post in Apple Discussions:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...54&tstart=0

Jim's comment (Documents vs My Documents) might make a difference, too.

There is a "My Documents" Wiki. According to that source, "As of Windows 7, The "Documents", "Pictures", "Music" and "Videos" folder are displayed in Windows Explorer with a "My" prefix but are actually still stored in the file system without the prefix like in Windows Vista." [i didn't pick up a specific reference for that entry. Does anyone familiar with Win 7 Home 64-bit know if the Wiki claim is correct?]

When I have the PC set up across the room, I'll check its Win 7 file structure. PC has Win 7 Professional (32 bit). Performed a clean install using upgrade disk. That machine previously ran Vista Business.

Feel another clean install of Windows 7 and Parallels on the new iMac coming my way. Maybe Snow Leopard, too. I owe Parallels tech support an email on some Adobe requirements (Parallels virtual video vs ATI 4850 installed on the new iMac Quads). Perhaps will include comments about both the "Administrator," "My Documents" and "[uncheck] Enable Shared Profile."

If I learn "Enable Shared Profile" do/undo is seamless, would like to try that option (as it might isolate the issue to the Windows side).

In the mean time, as I understand the error message, it's a symptom that more than one project file might exist. As long as I keep my earlier sqz file and don't make modifications to the file that's loading in TMG, assume it's still safe to access the restored project (as though it was read only). Am I on track there?

So appreciate the assistance. Will do some reading, send some emails and keep you posted. Thanks again. GJ

Edited by genejunky

The Win 7 "Documents" displayed as "My Documents" issue really makes things confusing.

I'm guessing if the data_paths.txt file specified C:\Users\Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\ then TMG created the "My Documents" folder and subfolders.

If the user documents folder is really named documents then the data_paths.txt file should be C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Start a command prompt and navigate to the c:\users\administrator\ folder and run a directory listing. That may give you an idea of the "real" name of the "documents" folder and other folders...

On more than one occasion, found I was logged in as _both_ Administrator and the second user.

I believe that is the result of "switching" accounts instead of logging off one account and logging into a different account.

Changing between Shared Profile and not shared while not seamless can be done at any time :ph34r: you are logged out of windows and have to log back in :ph34r:

In Shared mode links on the Windows Start Menu - My Documents etc are redirected to the corresponding Mac folders

In Not Shared mode the links on the Win Start Menu function as they would in a normal Windows system.

I encourage you to try disabling Shared Profile and see what happens when you run TMG.

Also I'd encourage you to setup a user account in Windows, and use it instead of the Administrator account.

You probably can change the account that automatically logs in using the technique described here:

Make Windows 7 or Vista Log On Automatically

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-automatically/

or here:

Automatic Logon Into Windows 7

http://windows7news.com/2009/02/01/automat...into-windows-7/

I've done lots of Win7 installs over the last 11 months. <g>

:question: If you get the choice...

Have you done default or custom installations?

The Win 7 "Documents" displayed as "My Documents" issue really makes things confusing.

I'm guessing if the data_paths.txt file specified C:\Users\Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\ then TMG created the "My Documents" folder and subfolders.

If the user documents folder is really named documents then the data_paths.txt file should be C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

[...]"

Just off the phone with Microsoft; techs there asked me the same thing ("Does it work if you call the directory "Documents").

Lucky me!

You wrote, "You probably can change the [Win 7 User] account that automatically logs in using the technique described here:

Make Windows 7 or Vista Log On Automatically

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-automatically/

or here:

Automatic Logon Into Windows 7

http://windows7news.com/2009/02/01/automat...into-windows-7/

According to MS tech support (case from earlier this week), you can change the name that displays on the log in screen, but it will still report as C:\Users\Administrator in the file structure. (See a theme here?)

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Win 7 _again_. Will see what transpires. --GJ

Edited by genejunky

When you change your user name in Windows, it does not change the paths created when you first created the account.

The only way to have a new user name with new paths is to create a new account.

You do not need to reinstall the operating system to accomplish this.

You are way too anxious to correct minor issues with a reinstall when a reinstall in not necessary.

When you change your user name in Windows, it does not change the paths created when you first created the account.

The only way to have a new user name with new paths is to create a new account.

You do not need to reinstall the operating system to accomplish this.

You are way too anxious to correct minor issues with a reinstall when a reinstall in not necessary.

Hi Jim:

Thank you for commenting.

My objective is to rid the file structure of the "Mys." If I only had TMG installed, I'd just tinker with those folder names; however, I've installed MS Office 2010 (Beta). I'm assuming a reinstall of Win 7 (rather than an uninstall of Office 2010) will do a better job of mopping up traces Office 2010 installed on the system (particularly Outlook).

About User accounts. Maybe I'm missing something, but knowing what we know now (about My Documents vs Documents), I'm not sure adding a new user offers much benefit. Possible it just adds another layer of "where'd that go" to the user experience. Parallels IS going to add that default user account, and Win 7 its going to create the related path (C:/Users/Administrator). I can add a password to that account for added control and security. (Mac side and networked PC are already password protected.)

Thoughts?--GJ

Edited by genejunky

I think you may be wasting your time reinstalling trying to get rid of the MYs...

See this thread on Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/music-pictures-...music-vids.html

It goes on for 3 pages from January through October with no resolution.

And while it may be somewhat path & user related we've drifted far from the topic of resolving the GOTERM error and getting TMG functioning normally... :upsidedown:

Have you tried disabling Shared Profile and running TMG? If yes what happens?

Hi Glenn, Jim, all:

Yippee!

Changing the Data_paths.txt file entry to reflect Win 7's twisted logic ("My Documents" is actually "Documents"), as below, and similarly updating TMG Preferences (changing "My Documents" to "Documents" in all the paths at File > Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced), TMG now opens without the GOTERM error and remembers my last project location.

[Administrator]

UserData=C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

I did not uninstall or reinstall any program, nor did I rename any Win 7 folder. I did not reset any option in Parallels 5.

So, now we know the rest of the story ... Win 7 is WYSINWYG - What you see is not what you get.

Thanks again for all the help. --GJ

Configuration:

iMac i7 (Late 2009), OS X (10.6.2), Parallels 5, Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit), TMG v7

I think you may be wasting your time reinstalling trying to get rid of the MYs...

See this thread on Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/music-pictures-...music-vids.html

It goes on for 3 pages from January through October with no resolution.

And while it may be somewhat path & user related we've drifted far from the topic of resolving the GOTERM error and getting TMG functioning normally... :upsidedown:

Have you tried disabling Shared Profile and running TMG? If yes what happens?

Edited by genejunky

Adding a bit here for others that may encounter these issues - earlier today in a private email to genejunky I suggested checking the path settings in Preferences > Program Options > General > Default Project Path and Current Project Options > Advanced. Once the paths were set correctly in Preferences and the data_paths.txt file TMG is happy to function as it should.

...Just in time for your birthday, I note. Have a happy and another cold one. --GJ