Helmut Leininger

Wishlist - UNICODE - Everyone Charts

Hi,

Recently, I have played around with GenBox. Being used to TMG, it sometimes takes a bit of time to find equivalent functions. But it has ttwo things I really would really like to have in the next version of TMG too.

1) Using UNICODE.

A big part of Europeans (and a lot of Americans, too) have ancestors outside the English or German speaking world that can be covered with the "standard" ANSI characters. And for those people, UNICODE is a must, not an option. E.g. the Slavic languages like Czech or Polish have characters that are not present in ANSI, e.g. č, ĕ, ň, ř, š, ž, Ł, .... These characters differ also in pronunciation from those without the "decorations".

in Czech:

s = s

š = sh

c = ts

č = tsh

r = r

ř = rsh

As there is no good way to "map" these characters to others with no risk of confusion, it is important to be able to use UNICODE.

2) Charts

GenBox has "Everyone Charts". I have long been looking for programs that can output this kind of charts.

TMG-charts either show all the ancestors of an individual or all the descendants of an individual. But, e.g. they do not show the siblings of your ggg-grandfather and their descendants or marriages.

I know, "Everyone Charts" showing all individuals that are some kind of related to one person (upwards, downwards, across, ..) may be huge. But htey give a much better impression of the complexity / distribution of a family than filtering out everything except the direct lines.

Regards

Helmut

UNICODE has long been on the wishlist and Wholly Genes has said several times that unicode will be supported when Microsoft supports it in the development environment.

So-called 'everyone charts' have also long been on the wishlist for a long time but no one has yet proposed a reasonable way to actually accomplish this.

UNICODE has long been on the wishlist and Wholly Genes has said several times that unicode will be supported when Microsoft supports it in the development environment.

That's a pity because as far as I know, Microsoft has stated that Visual Foxpro will maybe supported until 2013 "as is" but not to beenhanced with new features.

Regards

Helmut

We do not yet know the direction Microsoft will force to replace Foxpro, when or if it gets replaced. So far, Foxpro 9 is slated to be the last one. When and if that happens, we all hope that Unicode would be a part.

We do not yet know the direction Microsoft will force to replace Foxpro, when or if it gets replaced. So far, Foxpro 9 is slated to be the last one. When and if that happens, we all hope that Unicode would be a part.

Microsoft is not replacing Foxpro, it is currently dead with no future growth. The only thing that microsoft is saying is that they will support it until 2015 to keep it Vista compatible... and guess what is coming in about a year and a half in 2010 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7 . Vista was a small jump into new technology and Windows 7 will be the Vista killer just like Windows XP killed Windows ME quickly because ME was a small jump into new technology.

A minimalistic variation of the Windows kernel, known as MinWin, is being developed for use in Windows 7.
We wouldn't want to leave those Vista Basic users out in the cold.

MinWin does not seem to be related to Vista at all. It is a new kernel method in the OS... Wiki says: The MinWin development efforts are aimed towards componentizing the Windows kernel and reducing the dependencies with a view to carving out the minimal set of components required to build a self-contained kernel as well as reducing the disk footprint and memory usage.

I am sure that even though FoxPro is almost dead Wholly Genes must have some plan for porting to another programming language that does support all features of the latest Windows OS, like Unicode and standard GUI dialogue boxes.

A quick look thru the developer community blogs for VFP ( http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~BlogWatch~People ) show that while Visual FoxPro may no longer be developed by Microsoft, many interesting developments seem to be occurring from the legions of developers not willing to let go of VFP without a fight.

For example:

1. http://www.codeplex.com/VFPX - which is a community effort to create open source add-ons for Visual FoxPro 9.0. (shows that vfp is being improved even without microsoft)

2. http://weblogs.foxite.com/bernardbout/ Talks about true multi threading with VFP (from my understanding this may help with multicore cpu's and speed up vfp)

While I could find no mention of supporting unicode I believe it to be very heartening that vfp has as great a community behind it as TMG.

Hope fully this will be able to benefit TMG in the future.

--

Sam

Microsoft is not replacing Foxpro, it is currently dead with no future growth. The only thing that microsoft is saying is that they will support it until 2015 to keep it Vista compatible... and guess what is coming in about a year and a half in 2010

Hi, is there any word from Wholly Genes on using Unicode? If Visual Fox Pro is no longer being supported, will Wholly Genes change the underlying database to a new database management program? This is a really important issue for users. Thanks,

Hi, is there any word from Wholly Genes on using Unicode? If Visual Fox Pro is no longer being supported, will Wholly Genes change the underlying database to a new database management program? This is a really important issue for users. Thanks,

Couldn't agree more.

I have made a suggestion elsewhere in this forum to allow TMG users to at least record their family names in unoicode memos or text exhibits. I do it for all of my Japanese relatives. Now TMG just has to be changed to use Notepad instead of its built in text editor and it can display unicode too.

As far as the everybody chart, the thread starter, Helmut, seems to have given us a solution-

"GenBox has "Everyone Charts". "

I'm going to check it out right now. Does anyone know if it will import gedcom?