ezwieback

Conversion Error #14

I'm using TMG V. 7.01, on a Vista SP1 PC, with MS Word 2007. I am trying to save a Individual Detail or Individual Narrative to a "Word for Windows" (.DOC) file and can't do it. I always get "Conversion Error #14; Could not create destination file". I have selected "Word for Windows 2000 or later" as there is no option for "Word 2007" . I can't find any help for "conversion error #14". Is there a list of these errors anywhere?

I can save a file when I choose ASCI text so the report is created with Notepad. Perhaps the error #14 concerns some settings in my Word 2007 (not listed in TMG options) ?

Guest PhilDee

What is the path for the report? i.e. where are you sending it to be stored?

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Phil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I found my problem. The problem probably occurred when I did not specify a good file name and location in the "file name" space within the "Save To" function. I am now able to create the Word documents as I did in V.6.

thanks for the reply.

Phil

I have Windows 2007 with Office 2007 and am trying to save the report to c:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Report_output\v.doc. I get the same error "conversion error #14: could not create destination file". Any ideas?

What is your operating system? You mentioned 'Windows 2007', but it is not clear whether you meant Word 2007 or Windows7.

Virginia

Yes, sorry about that. I meant Windows 7.

TMG7 does not support output to Word, WordPerfect, RTF or HTML under 64-bit operating systems. A replacement for the word processing output libraries is in development.

Please read the message here about how to get the Wholly Genes PDF driver working under Windows 7 x64 (64-bit).

Virginia

Phil

I am having the same problem but I am using Windows 7 and Office 7. My version of Windows is 32 bit. I am using the path: C:\Users\Bob2\My Documents\My Dropbox\genealogy\reports. I have also tried it after deleting the spaces between My Documents and My Dropbox but still no luck.

Robert -

The spaces should not make a difference.

TMG's default path for report output in Windows7 is:

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\report_output

(The documents folder in Windows 7 may be named either Documents or My Documents.)

You don't have to store your report output in the default location, but you should update the path in Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced to reflect the current location. Read Help / Data File Storage and particularly the section on "How the User Data Files Folder is Set Up.'

I don't think the Dropbox folder should make a difference, but you could try bypassing it temporarily to make sure.

Virginia

Robert -

The spaces should not make a difference.

TMG's default path for report output in Windows7 is:

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\report_output

(The documents folder in Windows 7 may be named either Documents or My Documents.)

You don't have to store your report output in the default location, but you should update the path in Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced to reflect the current location. Read Help / Data File Storage and particularly the section on "How the User Data Files Folder is Set Up.'

I don't think the Dropbox folder should make a difference, but you could try bypassing it temporarily to make sure.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia! I noticed that the output was to My Documents. Changing it to Documents seemed to clear it up. Now I am able to route the output to My Dropbox for safekeeping.

Bob

Virginia, I'm also getting the "Conversion Error #14", even after meticuously following your instructions.

I'm running TMG 7.04.0000 Gold Edition on Windows 7 (X86) 32-bit, and using Microsoft Word 2007 as my word processor.

Using the TMG taskbar File>Preferences>Current Project Options>Advanced and going to Report Output, I typed:

C:\users\bill\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Report_output\

Clicked Apply and OK.

Back at my TMG project, from the taskbar I selected Report>Descendant Narrative.

On the Report Definition screen, I selected Use the Current Focus Person and it properly showed :

Subject(s) of the Report: One person, 5:8061 John Martin.

The Report Definition shows:

Save To: file type: Rich Text Format (RTF)

File Name:C:\users\bill\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Report_output\Descendants of John & Susannah (Irwin) Martin.RTF

When I click on Create Report, it seems to start OK with messages "Creating text for 40 people"..."Processing Endnotes, Footnotes".

And then the message: Conversion Error #14: Could not create destination file".

When I look in the Report Output, the proper RTF file name is there, but it has 0 bytes in it.

Where did I mess up?

-Bill Martin Denver, CO

Use the browse function (click the button to the right of the field) to select the Report_output folder rather than typing it. That will eliminate any path errors.

Use the browse function (click the button to the right of the field) to select the Report_output folder rather than typing it. That will eliminate any path errors.

Jim I did exactly as you said, but still got the error #14.

What might I try now?

Jim, if it's any help...TMG is creating the correct file path...

C:\users\bill\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Report_output\Descendants of John & Susannah (Irwin) Martin.RTF

...to my Descendant Indented Narrative report. It's just that when I try to Open it [also when I right-click to look at its Properties] that file is empty.

-Bill

Bill -

Have you tried resetting the report definition - using the Delete button under the configuration name?

Virginia

When I clicked Delete, a message appeared:

"This is a standard report definituion and cannot be deleted. Would you like to reset the options to the defaults?"

I clicked Yes. The Configuration name "Descendancy Narrative" stayed in the box and was not deleted.

-Bill

Name the report "test.rtf" and try it (after resetting the report configuration as Virginia suggests).

After trying to delete the report configuration name and getting the message "This is a standard report definituion and cannot be deleted. Would you like to reset the options to the defaults?" I clicked Yes. The Configuration name "Descendancy Narrative" stayed in the box.

Then, using your suggestion, I changed the Report Definition File Name to just test.rtf

[The TMG Taskbar File>Preferences>Advanced has the Report output path as C:\Users\bill\Desktop ]

When I clicked on Create Report, that file path appeared in the File Name box as C:\Users\bill\Desktop\test.RTF

Then the progress report screens seemed to indicate that processing was continuing OK until I got a screen

WordPort Spawn Error. I clicked OK and got a screen Conversion Error #20: Unknown error - contact tech support.

An icon did appear on my Desktop with test.rtf as its title. I clicked on it - It was empty.

-Bill

Bill -

If the system type is 32-bit, try the report without endnotes or footnotes.

To find out whether the system is 64- or 32-bit:

Click on the Start button in the taskbar

Type 'system' in the search box

Click on 'system' in that list.

Look under 'system type' for the -bit version.

(This may vary slightly depending on your computer, but generally the info is to be found there.)

Virginia

Bill -

If the system type is 32-bit, try the report without endnotes or footnotes.

To find out whether the system is 64- or 32-bit:

Click on the Start button in the taskbar

Type 'system' in the search box

Click on 'system' in that list.

Look under 'system type' for the -bit version.

(This may vary slightly depending on your computer, but generally the info is to be found there.)

Virginia

Looking at the contents of my C drive, there is a C:\Program Files (x86). Therefor, I've always assumed that I have a 32-bit computer.

However, using your suggestion...The Control Panel > Hardware Properties shows I have an "ACPI x64-based PC". Clearly, a 64-bit processor.

WHEW! Now we know the problem.

So...I'll quit trying to generate a report in RTF.

There is a Word for Windows 2000 or later. I'm using Microsoft Word 2007, so I selected the "...2000 or later" option.

Clicking on that gets me a file name ending in .DOC, which is just fine.

The file name is C:\Users\bill\Desktop\test 6.DOC I copied and pasted the C:\Users\bill\Desktop\ from the TMG taskbar File>Preferences>Advanced>Report output title...so it should match.

When I click on Create Report, it starts OK "Generating report for 40 people" but then quits with a WordPort Spawn Error box.

Clicking on OK gets me a box saying "Conversion error #20: Unknown error - Contact Tech Support."

Now what?

-Bill

This suggests that you are running a 64-bit operating system.

You were quite correct, Jim. As I explained to Virginia:

Looking at the contents of my C drive, there is a C:\Program Files (x86). Therefor, I've always assumed that I have a 32-bit computer.

However, using your suggestion...The Control Panel > Hardware Properties shows I have an "ACPI x64-based PC". Clearly, a 64-bit processor.

WHEW! Now we know the problem.

So...I'll quit trying to generate a report in RTF.

There is a Word for Windows 2000 or later. I'm using Microsoft Word 2007, so I selected the "...2000 or later" option.

Clicking on that gets me a file name ending in .DOC, which is just fine.

The file name is C:\Users\bill\Desktop\test 6.DOC I copied and pasted the C:\Users\bill\Desktop\ from the TMG taskbar File>Preferences>Advanced>Report output title...so it should match.

When I click on Create Report, it starts OK "Generating report for 40 people" but then quits with a WordPort Spawn Error box.

Clicking on OK gets me a box saying "Conversion error #20: Unknown error - Contact Tech Support."

Now what?

-Bill