ezwieback

Conversion Error #14

You are confusing many different things.

You have a 64-bit computer. "ACPI x64-based PC". On this 64-bit hardware, you can run a 32-bit or a 64-bit operating system.

You are running a 64-bit version of Windows.

This 64-bit version of Windows has two program file folders...

"C:\Program Files" - for 64-bit applications

"C:\Program Files (x86)" - for 32-bit applications

TMG7 is a 32-bit application and is installed in the "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder.

Under 64-bit operating systems, output to Word, Wordperfect and RTF is not supported by TMG7. That is why you get the error messages and why 0-byte files are created.

TMG8 will support output to these word processing filetypes.

You can output reports to HTML, PDF, text, Excel, etc. depending on the report type.

In addition to the output Jim mentioned, you can tick Print Preview and print the report from the screen. If you output to HTML, you can open that file in Word and save (also edit) the report as a Word .doc. Only 4 reports offer HTML output: Individual Narrative, Ahnentafel, Ahnentafel - Direct Line, and Journal (Ancestors and Descendants).

Virginia

In addition to the output Jim mentioned, you can tick Print Preview and print the report from the screen. If you output to HTML, you can open that file in Word and save (also edit) the report as a Word .doc. Only 4 reports offer HTML output: Individual Narrative, Ahnentafel, Ahnentafel - Direct Line, and Journal (Ancestors and Descendants).

Virginia

We're making progress - using all my new knowledge from you and Jim, I'm now able to generate a Journal Descendancy Report in HTML. It contains everything I want - Table of Contents, a short text description of each person, a surname Index and Endnotes. Clicking on the superscripts in the text even gets me to the correct source record in the Endnotes.

Using the message box [it appears right after the report is generated]:

"File successfully exported to (and then the correct file name). Open the file now?"

'Yes' opens the report, with full functionality like I mentioned above. 'No' closes the screen. Then I use the file path shown to me in the "File successfully exported to..." statement to get to the report.

The one remaining problem - when I try to use your suggestion that I open that HTML file with my Microsoft Word 2007 [and then save it as a DOC file], the page is blank.

Is there something I'm still doing improperly?

-Bill

How you open a HTML document in Word depends on your version (Word 2007). In Word 2010, it is a simple matter of Save as. Earlier versions may limit the conversion to unformatted text. Look in Word help for html or Convert.

Virginia