Zapnyou

Indented Descendant Chart Report

I am unable to get the report to run the way I need.

Subject of the report is:

Filtered Group

1. "a descendant of"

2. Living = N

In other words, descendants of Jane Doe who are dead. I am trying to keep info of everyone that is living off the report, not only their birth dates and marriage dates, but also any living married women's children's surname.

Any and all help will be "wholly" appreciated.

Filters don't restrict who appears in any ancestor or descendants report. For all those reports you specify in the "subjects" box the starting person for the report - the person whose ancestors or descendants are to be included. The report then goes about figuring out who is included according to the several choices you make in Options.

When you specify a group with a filter or the Focus Group, you are asking for a set of reports, each starting with one of the people in the group you specify. That's not what you want here.

To exclude people, you can control the number of generations, or set the "exclude living persons" options. If neither of these does what you need, you can send the report to a word processor and remove the additional people manually, if there aren't too many of them.

Or, if those don't work for you, create a temporary data set that excludes those people you don't want in the report. In your case, you could use the filter you describe in the List of People report, and set the Secondary Output in Options to create a new data set or project. Then, run the descendants report in that, so the people you excluded can't appear in it.

Terry,

Thank you for giving me several ways to do this report. However, I have have not been able to find the "exclude living persons" options. Where is that option found? (I also have your book, which by the way was a great help to me when I needed custom citations! I am looking forward to your next one, which I hope will be soon!)

I will also try the other ones, since that is a great way to further learn TMG!

Terry,

Thank you for giving me several ways to do this report. However, I have have not been able to find the "exclude living persons" options. Where is that option found? (I also have your book, which by the way was a great help to me when I needed custom citations! I am looking forward to your next one, which I hope will be soon!)

I will also try the other ones, since that is a great way to further learn TMG!

Actually it's "Suppress details for living people" under the Miscellanous tab under Options....

Thanks Paul,

I had tried that option earlier, but I still got a list of people living with their surnames. For example:

Jane Ann DOE is still living

+John Major BIP b. 6 May 1935 Wilkinson County, GA; m. 10 Oct 1955 Anaheim, Orange County, CA; d. 11 Sep 2001 New York City, NY

____Tina Marie BIP is still living

____ John Major BIP, Jr. is still living

____ Ray Sargent BIP is still living

I want it to be completely blank for living people. I do not want "Living BIP" either, but it is better than giving their entire names. I'd rather be extra cautious and not compromise anyone's private identity.

Thanks again for answering.

Thanks, Paul, for giving the correct label for the option - I tried to do it from memory and didn't do well. :(

Zapnyou, if you want to exclude them totally, use one of the methods I discribed above - that's why I wrote them up for you.

Thanks, Paul, for giving the correct label for the option - I tried to do it from memory and didn't do well. :(

Zapnyou, if you want to exclude them totally, use one of the methods I discribed above - that's why I wrote them up for you.

Terry,

O.k., I got the report I needed by doing as you said with one caveat:

List of People Report

Use the above filters plus one more.

To get the subject person of the report to be included in the data set. I had to "Add" that person to the filter choices. I used the "Ancestor Interest" flag which I had previously set for my subject person to be "3." There was no one else in my project that had that particular flag set to "3." I also set it to "OR" not "AND." I could not get it to work with "AND."

The data set came out just fine and then I ran the Indented Descendant Report for just that data set.

Thank you again for your help.

You're welcome.

Sorry, I should have realized that the "is a descendant of..." filter would not include the focus person.

I'm glad you figured it out and got the result you wanted. :)