Is anyone else 'irritated' by the width of the File menu, which seems to be goverened by the length of the path to your recently used Projects.

Is there a way to customise this that I am failing to see?

I miss the File>Maintenance sub menus so often as I try to guide my mouse in a near perfect line to hit the > arrow!

It seems to be almost twice as wide as the same menu in V6.

Just a small irritation really!

Neil -

I agree. That menu - with the default project locations - can take up half the screen. It would be helpful if the paths were abbreviated.

Some workarounds:

- Keep projects in a folder off the C drive with a short path, eg c:\projects\Smith.

- Use the keyboard shortcuts: alt-f-m-r (reindex); alt-f-m-o (optimize); alt-f-m-down arrow 3 times (VFI).

- Best solution: put buttons for the maintenance routines on your custom toolbar. Actually, with the custom toolbar, I rarely use any of the menus and none of the other toolbars.

Virginia

I get your drift Virginia, though I've never been a big fan of Custom menus!

All too often I've seen such menus disappear with software upgrades/patches and have to be recreated. (not pointing a finger at TMG here)

I've also seen some of the examples shown here of huge custom menus that seem to take up 1/4 of the TMG working area, and to me that's pointless waste of the space.

However, I do see the merits of one or two highly used buttons.

I'd sooner have smaller menus though!

Smaller menus would be helpful, and many other programs truncate long paths in menus. This would be a good topic to bring up in the next online chat with Wholly Genes - May 31.

Custom toolbars are convenient - and you can have as few or many buttons as you wish. Mine has over 40 buttons - every tool and report I need - but by using abbreviations and color squares (w/tooltips) instead of busy icons, it's not distracting and takes up less layout space than multiple default toolbars. Located in the lower right corner, the custom toolbar is also a short reach - if right-handed - for the pointing device. The 3 purple blocks at the bottom are my maintenance options.

Virginia

layout.jpg