I have put as an occupation for several members of my paternal line, either boatman or canal boatman.

I have now added a flag 'boatman' and would like to accent these people.

However, I need to find them!

So, what is the best way to filter/find them so that I can go on to accent them.

Is it the Project Explorer or Focus Group, or a combo of both?

Thanks

Where do you have the data stored? Is it in the memo, in a place element? The best way to create the flag is with a LIST OF PEOPLE and set secondary output to create the flag value. But the filter will be based on where the data is stored.

There are many equivalent ways to do this, but since your goal is to set the flag, I would use a filter on a List of Events report and then use the report options Secondary Output tab to set your "Boatman" flag for all the people found by the filter. Perhaps a filter like:

Tag Type... Label =Equals Occupation AND

Memo Contains boatman END

Hope this gives you ideas,

Where do you have the data stored? Is it in the memo, in a place element? The best way to create the flag is with a LIST OF PEOPLE and set secondary output to create the flag value. But the filter will be based on where the data is stored.

I've used the Occupation Tag. So it shows in the Details Window

Type = *Occupation

Date = <wherever I found it, EG Parish Register or Census return>

Name/Place = Boatman

I've found a slight flaw, in that the sentence comes out "He was boatman" (or something like that), so I need to change these too, to 'a boatman'

Another good reason for finding them all!

Edited by Neil Grantham

Neil,

See the occupation in the "Name/Place" column on the Details view. But that doesn't help with the problem here. That column displays first the place fields, then as much of the memo as fits. To construct the filter you need to know whether the data is in one of the place fields, or in the Memo.

To figure that out if you don't recall, open one of the Occupation tags and see where it's placed. Then you can construct a filter to look for it in that field.

As you have noted, you need to supply text (which should be place in the Memo field) which completes the sentence "He was..." so "a boatman" would work, as would "an attorney."

Neil,

See the occupation in the "Name/Place" column on the Details view. But that doesn't help with the problem here. That column displays first the place fields, then as much of the memo as fits. To construct the filter you need to know whether the data is in one of the place fields, or in the Memo.

To figure that out if you don't recall, open one of the Occupation tags and see where it's placed. Then you can construct a filter to look for it in that field.

As you have noted, you need to supply text (which should be place in the Memo field) which completes the sentence "He was..." so "a boatman" would work, as would "an attorney."

Ahhh, gotcha, they're in the memo field

This was just the solution I needed. Many thanks. All took about 15 seconds to change the flags once I'd tested the report to find the people.

Thanks again

Neil