crowzee2

TMG on Eee PC in Linux

I was wondering if anyone has ever been able to get TMG to run in the version of Xandros Linux on the Eee PC? I have installed Edubuntu on my current laptop and was not able to get it running using Wine but I am very new to Linux and had issues with the fonts.

I like the clean look, battery saving features and quick start-up times that the Linux Eee PC has to offer and TMG is the only Window's program that I absolutely have to have when I am on the road. Other than TMG I can use OpenOffice for my notes and things and I use the internet for my e-mail. I will have to get the XP one if I cannot get this figured out before I order my computer next month.

Note to the people at WhollyGenes: Linux is becoming ever more popular. Working on making your program work in Linux would be wonderful!

Crowzee,

TMG is strictly a Windows program. A number of people have TMG working on various Unix/Linux (and Mac) platforms using Windows emulators, such as Parallels. Every time us users suggest a different OS version the emulator method is always mentioned. From comments I have heard previously, the code is written using an MS development infrastructure and would require a complete rewrite to even consider another OS.

I was wondering if anyone has ever been able to get TMG to run in the version of Xandros Linux on the Eee PC? I have installed Edubuntu on my current laptop and was not able to get it running using Wine but I am very new to Linux and had issues with the fonts.

I like the clean look, battery saving features and quick start-up times that the Linux Eee PC has to offer and TMG is the only Window's program that I absolutely have to have when I am on the road. Other than TMG I can use OpenOffice for my notes and things and I use the internet for my e-mail. I will have to get the XP one if I cannot get this figured out before I order my computer next month.

Note to the people at WhollyGenes: Linux is becoming ever more popular. Working on making your program work in Linux would be wonderful!

What version of Wine are you using and have you seen the following:

TMG Entry for Wine

I personally use Vmware.

[What version of Wine are you using and have you seen the following:

TMG Entry for Wine

I personally use Vmware.

I was using the latest version of Wine and I saw that entry at TMG for Wine but it says to install the windings font but does not say where to install it. I tried several different places that I saw on the internet but all of those file names said they did not exist.

I hadn't heard of Vmware, I may need to look into that. How well does it work? Have you tried it on something as slow as the Eee PC? Although the Eee PC 901 is supposed to be considerably faster but it still isn't cutting edge...

I was using the latest version of Wine and I saw that entry at TMG for Wine but it says to install the windings font but does not say where to install it.

The writeup for TMG 7 under the link above says:

I suggest if you have Windows XP Licence. Copy the following fonts to your wine font directory

* wingding.ttf

I hadn't heard of Vmware, I may need to look into that. How well does it work? Have you tried it on something as slow as the Eee PC? Although the Eee PC 901 is supposed to be considerably faster but it still isn't cutting edge...

Vmware, works well for me. It does need a computer with a fair bit of speed and memory. The convenience of using Vmware is that it allows me to setup an environment just for maintaining my genealogy software and not having to worry that an install of another program or a virus etc will damage my setup. The version of Win XP has been customized to be as small as possible using LitePC's XPlite to strip out what I don't need.

Running TMG7 (or TMG5) with Linux Wine wine-1.0-rc5

My experience is that TMG7 runs apparently OK with wine-1.0-rc5.

I suggest that you look at:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?...n&iId=10500

Also winetricks referred to above will install all the necessary fonts and so on except wingding.ttf. Just note that gdiplus.dll is required as well: see my note on the subject in above url.

All the fonts should be installed in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts the .dll files will be found in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32.

I have run TMG6 under crossover for years and it appears to run with the wine installation described above.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Ian.

Since the above was written some time ago one major caveat with TMG7 running under wine has emerged.

Everything that I have tested runs perfectly with Ubuntu 804 and wine v1.1.5 if you follow the guidance at:

However, there is one thing which does not work that is the backup from the file menu. Here is my note from the above site:

NOTE WELL: As yet, the Backup project does not function correctly under either Wine or Crossover. When a Backup is performed all appears to go correctly and the .sqz file is created. Restore works correctly but I find that I get the message "Nothing to Restore". The Backup has backup all configurations but ignored the Project files. I see no warning to this effect. I wonder if there is a dll relating to zip that has to be altered.

There is a workaround. All the Project files are in the directory UserData=C:\TMG7\UserData stated in Data_paths.txt.

Solution 1: just back these up periodically.

Solution 2: Change C:\TMG7\UserData to in, say, the home directory as UserData=z:/home/ian/TMG7Backups, or wherever seems best for you.

This problem exists when TMG7 is installed for All User, or just for a single user, ian. The problem does not exist when using WinXP in Win4Lin with the UserData kept on the home directory so it is not a program error and does not seem to be related to permissions.

In case anyone from TMG or a user can work out what the problem might be here is a further note from that website giving exact details of the files that are not backed up.:

Every attempt to Backup any project files in TMG7 using Files>Backup with any configuration of project & backup paths results in a successful backup according to TMG. However. always the important 45 or so project files are missing. See below for a list of the files that should be there and what is missing.

(This can be checked by opening the TMG7 .sqz backup file in Linux with the archiver and going down the archived directory tree to Projects/Sample. The important 45 or so files are missing.

It just seems that the project files are not being found for some reason.)

When I try to "Select a project" which is in "My Documents" which is in fact on the .wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/ian/My Documents/The Master Genealogist v7/Projects/Sample I get the message "You are trying to open a project what is located in the Windows tree. For you to access this project, you need to copy or move this project to a folder located in either your user space or in common user space. However, it still seems to open it fine.

I have tried to map this folder to say M":". Still the same result. Every time on Backup the project files are missing. I have tried everything I can think of. It writes all the files OK so I wonder if TMG cannot access the project files for some reason. Permissions possibly, or a problem in TMG7 itself.

Project files copied into Project/Backup.sqz when using Windows Emulator WinXP

all .acc & .flp files

SAMPLE_UK_A.CDX

sample_uk_a.dbf

sample_uk_a.fpt

SAMPLE_UK_B.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_B.DBF

SAMPLE_UK_C.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_C.DBF

SAMPLE_UK_$.CDX

Sample_UK_c.FPT

SAMPLE_UK_$.DBF

SAMPLE_UK_D.CDX

Sample_UK_d.dbf

Sample_UK_d.FPT

SAMPLE_UK_DNA.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_dna.dbf

SAMPLE_UK_dna.FPT

SAMPLE_UK_E.CDX

sample_uk_e.dbf

sample_uk_e.fpt

SAMPLE_UK_F.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_F.DBF

Sample_UK_f.FPT

SAMPLE_UK_G.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_G.DBF

Sample_UK_g.FPT

SAMPLE_UK_i.CDX

sample_uk_i.dbf

sample_uk_i.fpt

SAMPLE_UK_K.CDX

Sample_UK_k.dbf

SAMPLE_UK_L.CDX

sample_uk_l.dbf

sample_uk_l.fpt

SAMPLE_UK_M.CDX

sample_uk_m.dbf

sample_uk_m.fpt

SAMPLE_UK_N.CDX

sample_uk_n.dbf

SAMPLE_UK_ND.CDX

Sample_UK_nd.dbf

Sample_UK_nd.FPT

sample_uk_n.fpt

SAMPLE_UK_NPT.CDX

Sample_UK_npt.dbf

SAMPLE_UK_NPV.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_NPV.DBF

SAMPLE_UK_O.CDX

sample_uk_o.dbf

SAMPLE_UK_P.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_P.DBF

SAMPLE_UK_PD.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_PD.DBF

Sample_UK_pd.FPT

Sample_UK_p.FPT

SAMPLE_UK__.PJC

SAMPLE_UK_PPT.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_PPT.DBF

SAMPLE_UK_PPV.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_PPV.DBF

SAMPLE_UK_R.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_R.DBF

Sample_UK_r.FPT

SAMPLE_UK_S.CDX

sample_uk_s.dbf

sample_uk_s.fpt

SAMPLE_UK_ST.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_ST.DBF

Sample_UK_st.FPT

SAMPLE_UK_T.CDX

sample_uk_t.dbf

sample_uk_t.fpt

SAMPLE_UK_U.CDX

Sample_UK_u.dbf

SAMPLE_UK_W.CDX

SAMPLE_UK_W.DBF

SAMPLE_UK_XD.CDX

Sample_UK_xd.dbf

Files copied into Project/Backup.sqz in wine & crossover

All .acc & .flp files

SAMPLE_UK_DNA.DBF,

SAMPLE_UK_DNA.FPT,

SAMPLE_UK_NPT.DBF,

SAMPLE_UK_NPV.DBF,

SAMPLE_UK_PPT.DBF,

SAMPLE_UK_PPV.DBF

About 45 project files are missing.

Can anyone think of a reason for this?

Edited by hamamelis@ntlworld.com

I was using the latest version of Wine and I saw that entry at TMG for Wine but it says to install the windings font but does not say where to install it.

I suggest if you have Windows XP Licence. Copy the following fonts to your wine font directory

* wingding.ttf

That's just it, I can't find the Wine Font Directory. What I thought was it won't let me put the font in there. It says it is a protected file and then when I try other ones that I have found on the internet using the command line screen it says those file folders don't exist. I guess I need someone to tell me the exact file path of where I need to put the wingding file. I do have an XP license.

* wingding.ttf

That's just it, I can't find the Wine Font Directory. What I thought was it won't let me put the font in there. It says it is a protected file and then when I try other ones that I have found on the internet using the command line screen it says those file folders don't exist. I guess I need someone to tell me the exact file path of where I need to put the wingding file. I do have an XP license.

The fonts directory will be something like /home/yourname/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts

Vmware, works well for me. It does need a computer with a fair bit of speed and memory. The convenience of using Vmware is that it allows me to setup an environment just for maintaining my genealogy software and not having to worry that an install of another program or a virus etc will damage my setup. The version of Win XP has been customized to be as small as possible using LitePC's XPlite to stripe out what I don't need.

I use Win4LinPro which is easy to use and trouble free with TMG7 SecondSite2 TMGUtility and so on as well as being cheap. http://win4lin.net/ I run it in Ubuntu 804. It is a bit slow but reliably accesses all the linux host files. You need a legal copy of WinXP of course. The latest version of Win4Lin version 5 has many enhancements that make it easy to use.

I have tried using VirtualBox which comes free and can be installed from Ubuntu. I find that v1.6 & 2.0 is fine. VB is a splendid program but has so many user alterable parameters that I find it hard to use. Win4LinPro is easy by comparison and has a very simple way of backing files and has a snapshot mode which makes it more or less bullet proof from viruses and the like.

I have used Parallels Workstation as well but find that its way of accessing Linux host files, for me, has limitations with TMG which make it hard to recommend.

I hope this helps.

Edited by hamamelis@ntlworld.com

I use Win4LinPro which is easy to use and trouble free with TMG7 SecondSite2 TMGUtility and so on as well as being cheap.

I haven't tried Win4Lin, so would you have any opinion why one should choose this over vmware server, which is free, works with tmg7 and is compatible across multiple platforms?

Edit: quote feature does not seem to like emails as names

Edited by Maccara

I use Win4LinPro which is easy to use and trouble free with TMG7 SecondSite2 TMGUtility and so on as well as being cheap.

I haven't tried Win4Lin, so would you have any opinion why one should choose this over vmware server, which is free, works with tmg7 and is compatible across multiple platforms?

Edit: quote feature does not seem to like emails as names

I have not really tried VMware so I don't know about it. I just know and like Win4LinPro and it is easy to use. I suppose I have been a devotee since its inception and I just like it. Perhaps I should try VMware as it has a great reputation for stability and so on. I think I have felt that it is not really Open Source. I think that VB is.

For completeness, I have used the free qemu and find it works fine with WinXP & Win4LinPro.

Just a word of caution about trying out the different emulators. You will find that each time you install WinXP you will need to activate it and adhere to any license limitations. That is one reason for sticking with one in which you have installed WinXP before. None of these limitations apply to wine so hence the importance of getting TMG7 to work fully with it. It seems to but with the backup problem mentioned before.

I have not really tried VMware so I don't know about it. I just know and like Win4LinPro and it is easy to use. I suppose I have been a devotee since its inception and I just like it. Perhaps I should try VMware as it has a great reputation for stability and so on. I think I have felt that it is not really Open Source. I think that VB is.

For completeness, I have used the free qemu and find it works fine with WinXP & Win4LinPro.

I've tried VB (and VirtualPC) besides VMWare, but I found VMWare most stable of those (at the time) and have stuck with it since (especially VB had stability issues then). That's why I was asking about Win4LinPro, hoping you would've had experience in both and could compare (as the specs sheet didn't offer anything "revolutionary").

And yes, VMWare definitely isn't open source, but at least they offer free versions.

Just a word of caution about trying out the different emulators. You will find that each time you install WinXP you will need to activate it and adhere to any license limitations. That is one reason for sticking with one in which you have installed WinXP before. None of these limitations apply to wine so hence the importance of getting TMG7 to work fully with it. It seems to but with the backup problem mentioned before.

Good point about licenses - never really thought about that as I have "unlimited" test licenses (with MSDN account) and a few normal licenses for production use. ;)

But, you can also install without activation, if you're just testing. It will work for a while before the activation is mandatory. (but you probably can't use windows update until you activate, so better to use slipstreamed install media with the needed service packs or download the service packs separately)

I also suggest to "stick with what works" once you find any, but I'm always looking for alternatives to try myself (comes with the job - better to know all available options so I could be qualified to recommend different options to customers).

It has been a very very long time since I've tried Wine and immediately dismissed it as "not working" and have not bothered since - I probably should take another look on one of these days.

Edited by Maccara

I found wine very daunting a couple of years ago and found the Crossover (the commercial wing: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/) was much easier for installing most applications. This was the case for TMG6. TMG7 Crossover is more complicated. This is because the installation of TMG7 has to be done emulating Win98 and VCForm has to run as Win3.1 and TMG itself as WinXP. I may have got the details a little muddled but it is all described on the winehq website.

I also have a site describing these issues, but it requires simplification www.rhus.org.uk and follow the linux/tmg link.

Both wine and crossover are both mature and much easier to use now and worth a look I would say.