dahill

Visual Chartform Notes

I have posted a five-page article on using Visual Chartform at the web site of the Ottawa TMG Users Group

http://ottawa-tmg-ug.ca/articles.htm

This particular article is entitled Visual Chartform (VCF) Notes, by Douglas Hill.

The article discusses "controlling which spouses or parents appear on descendant charts", and "recommendations on file formats and printing for VCF"

There are 12 other articles at this site, including ten more on TMG.

Douglas Hill, User group co-ordinator, Ottawa TMG Users Group

I went to the articles page and tried to open the first link, "Creating a Web Site". My browser asked me if I wanted to download a "pps" document, which I guessed was a PostScript file but who really knows. Umm... nope, don't wanna download that, I don't want to download anything. One down, 9 to go.

The rest are PDF files. I took a peek at a couple and they'd be better off as HTML: there's not much formatting and certainly no requirement to make them PDFs. After looking at those briefly, I got tired of waiting for Adobe Reader to take over the window, tired of Adobe Reader not respecting the back button, tired of Adobe Reader putting big page breaks in the middle of the content for no apparent reason (I'm reading online, not on a piece of paper). Tired of ... well, you get the point. I stopped looking at the documents. There may be good stuff in them, but I am not going to invest the time to find out.

I went to the articles page and tried to open the first link, "Creating a Web Site". My browser asked me if I wanted to download a "pps" document, which I guessed was a PostScript file but who really knows. Umm... nope, don't wanna download that, I don't want to download anything. One down, 9 to go.

The rest are PDF files. I took a peek at a couple and they'd be better off as HTML: there's not much formatting and certainly no requirement to make them PDFs. After looking at those briefly, I got tired of waiting for Adobe Reader to take over the window, tired of Adobe Reader not respecting the back button, tired of Adobe Reader putting big page breaks in the middle of the content for no apparent reason (I'm reading online, not on a piece of paper). Tired of ... well, you get the point. I stopped looking at the documents. There may be good stuff in them, but I am not going to invest the time to find out.

May I second your dread of time wasted with PDF files. I wonder how much really good stuff goes unread because the author chose PDF format? Since I haven't your patience, I exited the site at the first PDF encounter (the VCF article).

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

Douglas -

I had no problem reading your PDF files and found some other very interesting articles along with the VCF Notes - including your thoughts on "Personal Standards for TMG'. Thanks for sharing.

Virginia

I have posted a five-page article on using Visual Chartform at the web site of the Ottawa TMG Users Group

http://ottawa-tmg-ug.ca/articles.htm

This particular article is entitled Visual Chartform (VCF) Notes, by Douglas Hill.

The article discusses "controlling which spouses or parents appear on descendant charts", and "recommendations on file formats and printing for VCF"

There are 12 other articles at this site, including ten more on TMG.

Douglas Hill, User group co-ordinator, Ottawa TMG Users Group

I read your good VCF tips with much interest. Thank you for taking the time to write them down.

We have a different experience with JPG and BMP graphics files exported from VCF. I find that the resulting JPG and BMP files print out as nicely and clearly as printing directly from VCF.

Naturally, if you expand or shrink any bit-mapped graphics file, you will affect the resolution. Could that be our difference?

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

PS: The Adobe Reader v.8.1 loads slower than "Contenental Drift" when I'm on the internet. This is the main reason that I avoid reading PDF files. I have no other problem with PDF. See my earlier post.

I went to the articles page and tried to open the first link, "Creating a Web Site". My browser asked me if I wanted to download a "pps" document, which I guessed was a PostScript file but who really knows.

PPS is a Powerpoint presentation -- no doubt the product of a presentation to the Users Group.