Judy C

TMG V7 Output to PDF Problem

Good day! I have finally upgraded to V7. Among other reasons, I had hoped I'd be able to create report output to a PDF file. However, while TMG is creating the PDF file, I am unable to open said file using Adobe's reader.

I am running TMG v 7.02 on a Windows PC running XP. I have Administrator privileges, but I also created the permanent PDF printer.

The error I am getting is:

"Adobe Reader could not open [filename.pdf] because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an e-mail attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

I'm not a techie, but I can get around well enough. Hoping someone can help, as I'd love to get some output to PDF for a gift for my in-laws.

If anyone needs to e-mail me directly, my e-mail address is my first name and the first initial of my surname at mindspring.com.

Judy Campbell

Good day! I have finally upgraded to V7. Among other reasons, I had hoped I'd be able to create report output to a PDF file. However, while TMG is creating the PDF file, I am unable to open said file using Adobe's reader.

I am running TMG v 7.02 on a Windows PC running XP. I have Administrator privileges, but I also created the permanent PDF printer.

The error I am getting is:

"Adobe Reader could not open [filename.pdf] because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an e-mail attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

I'm not a techie, but I can get around well enough. Hoping someone can help, as I'd love to get some output to PDF for a gift for my in-laws.

If anyone needs to e-mail me directly, my e-mail address is my first name and the first initial of my surname at mindspring.com.

Judy Campbell

Hi Judy,

In my experience you get this message because it is not a pdf file but another format which has been named .pdf. So can you describe the process you are following to produce the pdf file.

Also can you say what version of Adobe Reader you have on your pc.

Jeff,

Hey. Thanks for the reply.

In this case, I started TMG v 7.02.0000, chose an ancestor, clicked on Report, then on Family Group Sheet; I selected output to file, and I selected Adobe PDF as the output type; then I gave the file a name, and clicked on create report; TMG created the PDF file. TMG said it created the report file and asked me if I wanted to open the file; when I replied by clicking the "yes" button, Adobe Reader opened, but I got the error I included in my original post.

I have Adobe Reader 7.1.0 on my PC.

Thanks again.

Judy

P.S. Just FYI, I was also unable to create a PDF on TMG v6.12; in that version the pdf isn't even created and I get the unhelpful error "Error exporting to [file path]\[filename].pdf". I had hoped that upgrading to v7 would solve my pdf creation problem.

What is the output path for the PDF file that you are creating? (all the text in the file name field on the report definition screen)

To be sure... In the Start menu printer list, it includes "Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3"?

What is the output path for the PDF file that you are creating? (all the text in the file name field on the report definition screen)

To be sure... In the Start menu printer list, it includes "Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3"?

Jim,

Hey. The path varied in the tests I ran, but the last two were:

c:\Documents and Settings\Judy\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Report_output\IsaacAWJones.PDF

and

C:\Documents and Settings\Judy\Desktop\IsaacAJones.pdf

And yes, I have both Wholly Genes PDF Writer v2 and Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 in my list of printers when I click on the following:

Start

Printers and Faxes

and both say "Ready" as their status.

Thanks,

Judy

OK.

You've tried other reports to PDF with your data and reports from the Sample project?

Create a PDF file and send it to me and I'll see if I can open it.

You can send me an email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

OK.

You've tried other reports to PDF with your data and reports from the Sample project?

Jim Byram

Jim,

Hey. I didn't realize you'd replied. Sorry for the delayed response.

Until tonight I had not tried other reports. Tonight I tried the Individual Detail report as well as the FGS in the Sample project. Same errors on both. Tried the Individual Detail in my own project too, first, and it failed also.

I'll send you a FGS from my project to try. And thanks.

Judy

Judy & Jim,

I have this same problem with the Descendants report. When I spoke with Phil at Tech Support, he suggested that it might be caused by having another PDF printer (I have Quicken PDF Printer and CutePDF Printers installed.) He also suggested that I delete, then reinstall TMG's PDF printer. Haven't been able to do so yet, since I have been out of town a lot frequently and will be heading out again. I will see if that helps and will let you know as soon as I have a chance.

Kim

OK.

Jim Byram

Jim,

Hey. I didn't realize you'd replied. Sorry for the delayed response.

Until tonight I had not tried other reports. Tonight I tried the Individual Detail report as well as the FGS in the Sample project. Same errors on both. Tried the Individual Detail in my own project too, first, and it failed also.

I'll send you a FGS from my project to try. And thanks.

Judy

Kim,

Hey. Thanks! I'm glad I'm not alone, though I'm sorry you have the problem, too.

I do have another PDF printer installed. It's not a program I use; must be something my dear hubby uses. I'll ask him about it tonight and see if that other one can be deleted.

I'll post my findings here once we've either deleted the other one or deleted and reinstalled the TMG PDF printer. (Or if we do both, I'll state that as well.)

Judy

Hi there

I have just been searching the forum in the hope of finding a solution to the a pdf problem. I have the exact same problem and still haven't found a solution. I am also running version 7.3 on windows xp. I have installed cutepdf printer that can be downloaded from the wholly genes site, but this didn't solve the problem either.

I think this would be a really good genealogy program if the owners could solve the problems that people are experiencing.

This is not the only problem I have with the program.

My other problem is trying to export 18 names into a gedcom, all goes ok but when I try to open the file it is not there.

I might have to have a look at getting another program.

Very frustrating

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have a similar problem. When I try to create a PDf file I get an error code 30 , printer not activated message. I am using TMG 7 on a 64 bit Vista Home Premium system. All thoughts welcome.

Jack

Also make sure that the operating system has an installed default printer. Doesn't matter what the printer is but the operating system must have a default printer.

Jack -

Have you installed the PDF Printer (File / Printer Setup / Install PDF printer)?

In the report definition screen, are you selecting Acrobat (PDF) as the File Type for the Report Destination?

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

Yes to both questions multiple times times.

Jack

Also make sure that the operating system has an installed default printer. Doesn't matter what the printer is but the operating system must have a default printer.

Hi,

Thanks for the hint Jim. Definitely have a default printer.

Jack

Jack,

You do have the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 installed when you check the Printers folder?

I can't figure out any way not to have it work as long as the PDF printer driver has been installed.

Otherwise, I can only guess that there is some sort of conflict with another PDF driver? I have never had any problem with PDF output under either WinXP x64 or WinVista x64. Puzzled about this entire topic.

Jim

Jack,

You do have the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 installed when you check the Printers folder?

I can't figure out any way not to have it work as long as the PDF printer driver has been installed.

Otherwise, I can only guess that there is some sort of conflict with another PDF driver? I have never had any problem with PDF output under either WinXP x64 or WinVista x64. Puzzled about this entire topic.

Jim

Jim, I think you may have it. My recollection is very hazy, but I also had PDF trouble, and I think it was because Quicken (and possibly Quickbooks as well) installs its own PDF printer object. I was using Vista 64.

All good wishes -- I hope you guys get it solved.

formerprof

With that perspective, I would suggest going to the Printers folder and checking for other PDF drivers. If there are others, delete all PDF printer drivers in the Printers folder, reinstall the TMG PDF PDF printer driver, and try a report to PDF. If that works, then the other PDF drivers can be reinstalled.

Jack,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes I do have the Wholly Genes PDF Writer V3 installed, actually I have uninstalled it and reinstalled several times in case it is an installation issue. All other PDF printer drivers have been removed. A new wrinkle has appeared however. Now when I click the "create report" button, the screen seems to flash and the program goes non-responsive. I have to use the task manager to close the program. If I use Adobe Reader to try to view the file created, it says it is in use by another program, even though nothing is running.

Jack

... A new wrinkle has appeared however. Now when I click the "create report" button, the screen seems to flash and the program goes non-responsive.

It is possible that when the program appears to go non-responsive that there is a window somewhere waiting for you to do something. In TMG under the Window menu there is a menu choice "Center the current window". When the program "goes non-responsive" you might check to see if you can select that menu choice. If so, it may cause the window needing attention to move from off the monitor and appear where you can see it. This may not be your issue, but it is worth a try.

I've had this problem for some time now (since July). The system becomes unresponsive and I have to restart. I've tried all the solutions mentioned above. I'm annoyed, but reconciled to the problem for now. I wish there were a way to copy the on-screen report that appears and then paste it into my word processor, but no luck.

... A new wrinkle has appeared however. Now when I click the "create report" button, the screen seems to flash and the program goes non-responsive.

It is possible that when the program appears to go non-responsive that there is a window somewhere waiting for you to do something. In TMG under the Window menu there is a menu choice "Center the current window". When the program "goes non-responsive" you might check to see if you can select that menu choice. If so, it may cause the window needing attention to move from off the monitor and appear where you can see it. This may not be your issue, but it is worth a try.

Have just deleted the PDF writer again and rebooted the computer afterward. Using the Report Menu and Individual Detail, I chose, save to file, selected PDF, created a new file name and hit the Create Report button. TMG installed the PDF writer and created the file. However it seems the file gets hung up the print cue (the previousley mentioned phantom program) and under status it says "error - printing". If I right click and check the printing preferences I get an error code 30 printer not activated message.

Still scratching my head,

Jack

Have just deleted the PDF writer again and rebooted the computer afterward. Using the Report Menu and Individual Detail, I chose, save to file, selected PDF, created a new file name and hit the Create Report button. TMG installed the PDF writer and created the file. However it seems the file gets hung up the print cue (the previousley mentioned phantom program) and under status it says "error - printing". If I right click and check the printing preferences I get an error code 30 printer not activated message.

You did not say in the above paragraph that you permanently installed the PDF printer driver before trying to generate the PDF report. That step is required for x64.

File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer]

I have also had the same problems everyone else is experiencing with TMG 7.3 plus the added problem of not being able to create gedcoms. I have done everything that has been suggested and have given up using this program and have switched to another genealogy program that is working without any errors.