Judy C

TMG V7 Output to PDF Problem

Have just deleted the PDF writer again and rebooted the computer afterward. Using the Report Menu and Individual Detail, I chose, save to file, selected PDF, created a new file name and hit the Create Report button. TMG installed the PDF writer and created the file. However it seems the file gets hung up the print cue (the previousley mentioned phantom program) and under status it says "error - printing". If I right click and check the printing preferences I get an error code 30 printer not activated message.

You did not say in the above paragraph that you permanently installed the PDF printer driver before trying to generate the PDF report. That step is required for x64.

File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer]

Sorry Jim,

I have tried both ways; by installing the driver first and by going from the report menu without installing the driver. I think I am going to uninstall TMG and reinstall to see if I have better results with a new install.

Ok, so I have uninstalled and reinstalled TMG 7 with updates to the current version. Here is a transcript of the splash screen that pops up after installing the PDF printer driver.

------------------------------------

Amyuni Document Converter

Windows XP/2003 64-bit AMD Install

Checking for existing PDF printer

Copying acfpdfamd64.dll file

Copying acfpdfamd64ui.dll file

Copying acfpdf.txt file

Copying cdintf.dll file

Copying cdintf.dll file

Copying acXMLParser.dll file

Error Code 2

The system cannot find the file specified

Installing Amyuni PDF printer driver

Installing Amyuni PDF printer

Printer setup succeeded

Launch "install - u" to uninstall

-----------------------------------------------------

The control panel shows the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 installed and ready. However if I bring up the properties screen and check printer preferences I get Printer not activated error code - 30. Trying to print a test page from this screen also receives error code - 30. The printer is installed on LPT1, if that is pertinent.

Jack

Jack,

I get exactly the same messages from the install process as you. The only difference is that after I install the PDF driver, it works.

You cannot use the printer driver through the driver properties. Those error messages are correct.

It is not licensed as a stand-alone PDF printer driver and only works through TMG. You can't even select the PDF driver from TMG on the 'Printer Setup' screen and have it work. It should not be used as the operating system default printer driver and should not be selected as the printer driver on the TMG 'Printer Setup' screen.

Jim

Virginia pointed to a topic on the AmyUni forum where people are discussing problems with the driver and WinVista x64. She says read pages 2 and 3 of the topic.

http://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?...=a&start=15

The issue is having the port for the driver set to LPT1 (which results in no problems for me). The solution is to create a dummy port and set the driver to that port in the PDF printer driver properties.

You might try that.

It's real simple. Here are the steps.

1. Open Printers.
  2. Right-click on the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 icon.
  3. Select Run as Administrator / Properties
  4. Select the Ports tab and click [Add Port...]
  5. Click [Continue] on the UAC prompt.
  6. With 'Local Port' selected, click [New Port...].
  7. On the Port Name screen, enter a name such as 'NewPort' and click [OK].
  8. The NewPort should already be checked. If not, do so, and click [OK] to save the PDF printer driver properties.

Now go try a report with the file type set to 'Adobe (PDF)' in TMG.

Virginia pointed to a topic on the AmyUni forum where people are discussing problems with the driver and WinVista x64. She says read pages 2 and 3 of the topic.

http://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?...=a&start=15

The issue is having the port for the driver set to LPT1 (which results in no problems for me). The solution is to create a dummy port and set the driver to that port in the PDF printer driver properties.

You might try that.

It's real simple. Here are the steps.

1. Open Printers.
  2. Right-click on the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 icon.
  3. Select Run as Administrator / Properties
  4. Select the Ports tab and click [Add Port...]
  5. Click [Continue] on the UAC prompt.
  6. With 'Local Port' selected, click [New Port...].
  7. On the Port Name screen, enter a name such as 'NewPort' and click [OK].
  8. The NewPort should already be checked. If not, do so, and click [OK] to save the PDF printer driver properties.

Now go try a report with the file type set to 'Adobe (PDF)' in TMG.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

There is Joy in Mudville at last.

Jack

I have Version 7.03 on a new computer with Vista (I hate Vista and Miss my old XP) When I try to run a pedigree report I get the following errors " OLE IDispatch exception code 1801 from cdntf: printer Installation failed." and "Allas 'GOREP' is not found." and it shuts down my TMG program. The I get another message "Unknown member ROPROTECTIONMAN." i just tried running an individual Narative and it worked and printed out to my printer which is also new. I did set up the printer under printer set up.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Help. This looks like the place to post my question. Since it looks like Wholly Genes still hasn't figured out how to make wordprocessing reports work with Windows Vista 64, I thought I could do a pdf report. However, I downloaded my TMG v 7.03.00 and stupidly didn't order a CD. I think my download didn't include this adobe pdf printer driver because when I look at printers I don't see it. Just a Microsoft XPS document writer. This computer replaced an old one that broke down and I couldn't salvage it. I need to do reports to give to cousins. HELP!

I think my download didn't include this adobe pdf printer driver because when I look at printers I don't see it.

In TMG you can install the "PDF Printer driver" from [ File>Printer Setup>"Install PDF printer"

...get Printer not activated error code - 30...

Jack

FWIW today I suddenly started getting this error code when trying to output a previously successful PDF report.

As I wanted the output, I switched to word

But then I went back and reran it to a pdf just to see if that fixed anything.

It did, for whatever reason the pdf output had stopped working, it now works again.

Help. This looks like the place to post my question. Since it looks like Wholly Genes still hasn't figured out how to make wordprocessing reports work with Windows Vista 64, I thought I could do a pdf report. However, I downloaded my TMG v 7.03.00 and stupidly didn't order a CD. I think my download didn't include this adobe pdf printer driver because when I look at printers I don't see it. Just a Microsoft XPS document writer. This computer replaced an old one that broke down and I couldn't salvage it. I need to do reports to give to cousins. HELP!

Word processing output and PDF output have nothing to do with one another.

Under WinVista x64, you must install the PDF printer...

File / Printer Setup / [install PDF printer]

In addition, you may or may not need to take the additional step that I described above.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=41699

The PDF printer driver installer is embedded in the Tmg7.exe program file irrespective of whether the installer came from a CD or was downloaded.

Just purchased a new computer which has Zista and runs at 64. I sure miss XP! Using TMG 7.03. I only have two printers installed on my control Panel. - Default is HP8100 and second is Wholly Genes PDF Writer V3. If It makes any difference. Within TMG on printer ser up I using the same HO 8100 printer and I have installed the PDF printer. I'm using Adobe Reader 8 which was installed/updated11/16/08.

When I run ther pedigree report format to print preview or printer it works fine but when I try to save the the Pdeigree Chart which you can only run in Acrodat (PDF) format it locks up the program even for a one page report. When I hit cancel after waitning as long as 20 min . I have to close the program. Then when I try to reopen the program after it shuts down becasue it did not shut down correctly naturally picking last will not work becasue it did not close down correctly. When I go into Select it still will not open correctly. Now even when I restorte the pprogram will not open my file. Hopefully if I shyrt down completely It will Open back up and get wach with the forum.

Hopefully what I need is some patch or advice to tell me how I can save a Pdeigree PDF.

Jim

When I go to task manager I shows three activities

Wholly Genes Community - Running

The Master Genealogist - Not Running

Pedigree - Not Running

The HP8100 should be your default printer and TMG File / Printer Setup should be set to the default printer. You never select the TMG PDF driver as the system default printer or as the printer in TMG File / Printer Setup.

I'm not a system expert but If I understand you on my printers in the control panel it only has the 8100 Which is marked Default and the Wholly Genes PDF Writer V3

Within my Master Genealogist under File - Printer Set up I movved the printer from 8100 to windows Default. I do not have PDF marked as default.

I'll try again and see if it shuts me down and advise

You need to break down what's happening.

Is the PDF file created and saved?

Is the issue that Reader v7.03 hangs up trying to open this PDF file?

The current version of Adobe Reader is v9.0.0 which is what you should be running because of security issues (or some Adobe Reader alternative).

Jim

I updated to Adobe Reader version 9 and restarted the system after that sucessful upload.

When I try to generate and save to a pdf file the Pedigree report. The program indicates it calculating the text text per the progress box to 100% but the program locks up there and will not go any further. I tried using two different individuals but it locked up on both never leaving the progress box. I have printed out the string of all the entries on TMG V& Output to PDF printer and will review them again in print instead of on the screen to see if I'm miaaing anything.

Ok the only thing I had not done was the suggestion you made on Dec 3 2008 at 10:45 to create a dummy port which I have now done and it hangs up again. After I created the dummy port I restarted the system to make sure it took. First ime it did not work but I have done it several times now and it works. Thanks for your patience with us no MIS people.

Jim,

Thanks for such concise directions on installing the PDF printer under Vista 64 bit. I think this topic needs a better heading, since it's really just a Vista 64 bit issue, but I sure was glad to see the directions. Followed them and now can print to screen and PDF.

Can't wait to be able to print to Word again, but at least I am able to set flags and get some output for emails to share with other researchers.

Just wanted to say thanks to you and Virginia for posting this.

Can someone tell me if the printing issues when using Vista 64bit is scheduled to be in scope for V8?

I just got a new PC with the 64bit version pre-installed- Can't tell you how happy i am right at the moment when trying to print reports...

Thanks,

Sean.