Sign in to follow this  
stain3565

Imported Occupations in "Country" field

In changing to use TMG7 (UK edition), I imported my FTM gedcom file into TMG. This was some time ago and appeared fine. However, I have discovered that Occupations were placed in the Town and Country fields in the Occupation tag.

I have literally thousands of these tags. Is there a means of moving these into the Memo field automatically rather than do it manually? I do not have any Occupation tags with real place names entered and just have a handful that are recorded correctly (occupation in the Memo field with the place names empty), either because they are new to my file or I noticed them and fixed them.

Cheers

Mark

You have run into the fatal design flaw in FTM... storing two types of data in one field (comment and location). It works fine in FTM but causes big problems when you move FTM data to another program.

When you import to TMG and use the Advanced Import Wizard, you can deal with this to some extent. One of the tabs lets you specify where the data will be imported to. For example, you can specify that the data for Occupation events will be imported to the memo field and data for Birth events will be imported as place data.

You might separate your data entered in TMG into a new data set and reimport the FTM data and merge the new data back in.

Otherwise, you need to slog through the data and fix it. The way to do this is to work from the Master Place List. Select an place with the problem and cllick the [Events] button to open a list of the events using the data. You can then edit every event from that screen... one-by-one unfortunately.

I don't see any way to use TMG Utility to make these changes on a global scale but might be missing something.

Many TMG users have been through this and, hopefully, they will reply with additional ideas.

In changing to use TMG7 (UK edition), I imported my FTM gedcom file into TMG. This was some time ago and appeared fine. However, I have discovered that Occupations were placed in the Town and Country fields in the Occupation tag.

I have literally thousands of these tags. Is there a means of moving these into the Memo field automatically rather than do it manually? I do not have any Occupation tags with real place names entered and just have a handful that are recorded correctly (occupation in the Memo field with the place names empty), either because they are new to my file or I noticed them and fixed them.

Cheers

Mark

It would seem like a simple matter to anyone intimately familiar with the innards of Fox Base to write a special program to correct your and others' datasets. Perhaps, it would be the work of one rainy afternoon.

Are there any cutting edge, Good Samaritans out there? If one doees come along, be sure to do a fresh backup before using.

Twenty years ago this sort of thing would have been "a piece of cake." But alas, the old dog, new tricks syndrome has finally won out.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

Otherwise, you need to slog through the data and fix it. The way to do this is to work from the Master Place List. Select an place with the problem and cllick the [Events] button to open a list of the events using the data. You can then edit every event from that screen... one-by-one unfortunately.

Thanks for that. Just one strange thing I have noticed with this though. The Master Place Names list is displaying some such occupations in the place name fields on this list even though I changed them yesterday. In fact, when I press Events, there are none, and I have confirmed by finding the person manually that the text has been moved out of place names into Memo (chose a unique occupation to prove this).

The list appears to hold historical info that is no longer in Place Names. Any ideas how to refresh this?

Cheers

Mark

The Master Place Names list is displaying some such occupations in the place name fields on this list even though I changed them yesterday.

Run optimize.

File / Maintenance / Optimize

The Master Place Names list is displaying some such occupations in the place name fields on this list even though I changed them yesterday.

Run optimize.

File / Maintenance / Optimize

Thanks, I discovered that earlier and now am getting RSI! lol