Paul M

7.02 Tag Entry Window, Citation Preview Field

After updating to 7.02, the citation preview field in the tag entry window displays carriage returns as . Is this intentional and am I able to configure how the preview displays.

Hi Paul,

I haven't seen a reply to your question. For me, I never see the 'boxes' unless I have done a cut-and-paste from a word processor and have copied non-printable characters. Line-feeds or other formatting codes are often added to carriage returns in word processors. Do you see a box when you are in the CD and actually press a CR key?

I suspect these non-printables were always there and it is good that TMG is letting you know. You usually want to delete them. When pasting into these fields I always try to remember to Right click and choose Paste Unformatted Text.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael, thank you for the reply.

That was my first thought, but it isn't the case. If I manually enter (no copy and paste) a carriage return in the citation detail window, say enter a "1" "CR" "2", then the boxes will appear in the citation preview between the 1 and 2 in the tag entry window. It's really not a big deal. Maybe it's intentional to show me there is a list.

Hi Paul,

I haven't seen a reply to your question. For me, I never see the 'boxes' unless I have done a cut-and-paste from a word processor and have copied non-printable characters. Line-feeds or other formatting codes are often added to carriage returns in word processors. Do you see a box when you are in the CD and actually press a CR key?

I suspect these non-printables were always there and it is good that TMG is letting you know. You usually want to delete them. When pasting into these fields I always try to remember to Right click and choose Paste Unformatted Text.

Hope this gives you ideas,

How very strange, Paul, I cannot find a way to replicate the behavior you are seeing. Maybe it has to do with the font you are using? What font do you have set in Preferences > Program Options under Lists and Project Explorer? Do you have Windows set to use some unusual font? I can't think of anything else to explore.

Paul,

Are you able to delete the boxes and enter the correct characters? If you are able to do that, the only thing I can come up with is that it almost has to be coming from something external to TMG - word processor generating spurious characters.

It is set to Tahoma, 8pt for both minimum and maximum.

I am not necessarily making a list. The carriage return could start a new paragraph or be used as a separator.

How very strange, Paul, I cannot find a way to replicate the behavior you are seeing. Maybe it has to do with the font you are using? What font do you have set in Preferences > Program Options under Lists and Project Explorer? Do you have Windows set to use some unusual font? I can't think of anything else to explore.
Edited by Paul M

Nope.

Paul,

Are you able to delete the boxes and enter the correct characters? If you are able to do that, the only thing I can come up with is that it almost has to be coming from something external to TMG - word processor generating spurious characters.

As Paul reported, I see the boxes in the citation detail field of the tag entry screen after entering a carriage return in the Citation Detail field. If I use the rclick menu carriage return, I see [:CR:]. See screenshots. This is the same behavior as in v6.

Rightclicking in the citation detail field and selecting 'show no codes' opens the read only Memo window where, as expected, I see no boxes or codes displayed.

Is there a problem or are we looking in different places - the tag entry screen or the read only Memo window?

Virginia

CR1.png CR2.png

Virginia,

How very strange. As I said earlier, I have not (yet) found a way to produce the box by simply using the Enter key on the keyboard while entering data in the Citation Detail field. I wonder if it may be some Windows setting? I will have to experiment.