fredf

IMPORTING GEDCOM

I just purchased, downloaded and installed TMG V7. Then I went to import my GEDCOM file and got a number of errors that I don't understand. I get the message that "These lines were not processed:" for lines 20760 -> 23276. These lines all refer to media items that are linked to individuals or families. A number of errors show "Unknown Level 1 tag (skipped)." for level 1 OBJE tags. I have imported this GEDCOM file into a number of different programs without these errors. Also, when I display the "Details" block, a number of line entries show "Unknown GEDCOM tag" but there is no indication of what the tag is that is unknown.

How do I correct these errors? Is there a way of determining the "Unknown" tag that is causing these line item errors?

I am not an expert on the GEDCOM import feature so I can't help there. TMG is pretty strict about the GEDCOM standard and that might explain the issues.

Taking another tack, however, have you tried importing directly from your old program into TMG? TMG will read the data files of many other programs and the transfer of information is more accurate when you do it that way.

The first thing is that some programs export non-standard GEDCOM code which is intended to be reimported by the same program. TMG won't import such GEDCOM content because it is non-standard and there is no basis for interpreting the code.

When you import a GEDCOM, you need to use the Advanced Wizard.

On Step 5, you might want to select 'Assume marriage of parents'.

Step 7 is the critical step and this will deal with the "Unknown GEDCOM tag" issue.

There are three types of GEDCOM tags you need to deal with here...

1) Tags that have no assignment (FRIB)

2) Custom GEDCOM tags that should have a leading '_' (_FRIB)

3) event (something) tags that are assigned to Event-Misc (such as event DirectTax -> Event-Misc)

*** The standard GEDCOM tags will already be assigned to import as standard TMG tag types and, normally, you do not want to mess those assignments. ***

For those unassigned and custom GEDCOM tags...

1) Select the GEDCOM tag type on the left

2) Click the [Properties] button

3) Select 'save as custom tag'

4) Select the 'Tag Group' (normally Other Event Group unless the tag clearly falls into some other group)

5) Edit the custom tag name in the 'Import something as' field

6) Click [OK] for that tag

You do exactly the same for each 'event' something tag on the left except, first, after selecting the tag, click the [unassign>] button to remove the Event-Misc assignment. Usually, after cllicking [Properties], the name in the 'Import something as' field should already be correct.

You might ask why TMG is more complicated in handling these custom non-standard and event GEDCOM tag types and the answer is that TMG has tag type groups and the imported GEDCOM tags need to be assigned to the correct TMG tag type groups. For example, an imported cremation GEDCOM tag could be assigned to the Burial tag type group.

If you have more questions, please ask. If necessary, I can always take a look at your GEDCOM to answer specific questions.

It is worth getting the assignments on Step 7 done as well as possible since this will eliminate considerable post-import cleanup.

Thank you Jim. I appreciate the help. Part of what I don't understand is what appears to be inconsistency. My error report consisted of about 4500 lines. I did some counts of the occurence of certain tags in both the input GEDCOM file and the error list. A level 1 OBJE tag occurs 548 time in the input file but is flagged 61 times in the error file. In all those cases it says "Warning : Unknown level 1 tag (skipped)." For the CHAN tag there are 2009 occurences in the input file but only 298 are flagged as errors. Both CHAN and OBJE are valid level 1 tags. PEDI tag is valid for GEDCOM 5.5 and seems to be rejected on import.

Some of the errors I can accept. Certainly the use of special tags that are preceded with the _. However, this GEDCOM file has been imported into PhpGedView without error, into The Complete Genealogy Reporter without error, and into several other programs with only a few minor or no errors.

Also, I don't understand the "Details" window showing a number of line entries with "Unknown GEDCOM tag: " and NO indication of what tag is unknown. This makes it very difficult to correct the line item error since I have no way to relate the two. In all these cases it seems to have something to do with the spouse. However, since there doesn't appear to be enough information to correct the problem.

The file I'm trying to import is created using Family Historian. That program adheres fairly closely to GEDCOM standards. They do have some quirks such as using _FILE instead of FILE tag. Those variations I am able to manage using a text editor and doing some global changes.

I would appreciate some guidance on handling these inconsistencies.

Thank you.

Again... Using the tag type options on Step 7 will eliminate many of the issues that you are seeing. You will be able to import all level 1 _Custom tag. You will have no more "Unknown GEDCOM tag: " results.

I'd need to take a look at the import to look at some of the other issues.

PhpGedView is designed to import all sorts of custom GEDCOM structures. TMG GEDCOM import is designed to import standard GEDCOM structure.

OK I am still confused - I am using the MyHeritage product as it provides a great smart matching capability, but my final product is going to be made using SecondSite. Also TMG has a better people merging capability. MyHeritage is apparently using some extension over the GEDCOM standard. I would like to just bring these tags across (preserve them as is) do what I need to do here and then save it back, preserving the tags as is. The custom tag import pick list doesn't even show all the custom tags to even try to reasign. Most of these tags have to do with personal information (e-mail, WWW, FAX, etc) the RIN tag - which according to the GEDCOM 5.5 definition is a standard approved tag is not recognized either. Having all the unrecognized tags end up in memo fields is creating no end of pain and frustration as well as a tremendous amount of un-needed work - There is valid info in many of the memo fields and having TMG dump TAGs it doesn't know what to do with in there is making including the memo fields in the final SecondSite output very messy and confusing. I just spent 2 days cleaning the file of all the unknown tag references in the MEMO fields.

I have tried experimenting several times now importing the file using your notes above and the tags that are available to me in the PICK list are still ending up in the memo fields.

I will be happy to forward my GEDCOM file for inspection.

Lee Hutchins

You can use the Advanced Import Wizard to assign all unknown, custom and Event-Misc level 1 GEDCOM tags to custom TMG tag types. Any non-standard tags below the level 1 GEDCOM tags will not be imported.

If you would like for me to import the GEDCOM file and send you the TMG project, please contact me and send the GEDCOM by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram