Stanza

How do I find people with specific Tag Type?

I know this is probably pretty basic, so be gentle with me!

I want to delete a specific Tag Type, but apparently there are 15 people on my dataset where I have used this Tag, so I can't delete it (I want to re-allocate those 15 to a more appropriate Tag, but first I have to find them.)

So how do I find them? Presumably it is something to do with the Report function but I clearly haven't yet mastered its intricacies!

And once they are found, is there some process that will sweep them all up and amend the Tag type for all of them, or is it a one-by-one approach? (for only 15 that won't be much of a problem, but had it run into hundreds I would have hoped there might be a quicker method.)

I know this is probably pretty basic, so be gentle with me!

I want to delete a specific Tag Type, but apparently there are 15 people on my dataset where I have used this Tag, so I can't delete it (I want to re-allocate those 15 to a more appropriate Tag, but first I have to find them.)

So how do I find them? Presumably it is something to do with the Report function but I clearly haven't yet mastered its intricacies!

And once they are found, is there some process that will sweep them all up and amend the Tag type for all of them, or is it a one-by-one approach? (for only 15 that won't be much of a problem, but had it run into hundreds I would have hoped there might be a quicker method.)

For this use the report --> list of --> events --> Filter -->

Tag type label equals the name of the tag you want to change/delete, etc.

Under "Options" you can list the info you want if you like. I don't.

Then run the list -- this will give you a list of everyplace that tag is used. I've always gone through and changed each one (like you, they were few). It may be that TMGU will change them - I've not tried it. I prefer to do it one and one because then I have control of sentences, etc.

Not hard.........Carol Collins

Or, use the Master Event List (Tools menu), set the sort by type of event, and type in the first few letters of the Tag Type Label in the Search field.

Once you find the group of Tags, you can select one of them, click the Edit button and change the Tag Type for it and any other needed changes, then do the same for each of the others.

Well, it didn't quite work out as I had hoped!

My problem is that in my list of Tag Types I have one called "Census 1901" which appears above the other census dates (1841-1891).

Its properties are different from those of the other census dates, which in turn are different from those in the Sample dataset:

"Census 1901" in my Dataset ........ Tag Group: "History" ....... Abbreviation: "cen." ....... GEDCOM: "CENS"

Census 1841-1891 in my dataset ....... Tag Group: "Other event" ....... Abbreviation: "c." ....... GEDCOM: "CENS"

"Census 1901" in Sample Dataset ....... Tag Group: "Other event" ....... Abbreviation: "cen." ....... GEDCOM: "EVEN"

Now I don't know if the problem was caused by something I did in my early days of using Version 4. I have got around it in recent months by creating a completely new Tag called "1901Census", which is set up in the same way as the 1841-1891 Tags, but I am left with a few rogue entries on the "Census 1901" Tag.

Trying Carol's method I got as far as filtering to:

"Tag Type Group is" ..... "History" "AND"

"Tag Type" ..... "Label" ..... "Equals =" ..... "Census 1901" ..... "END"

"OK" .....

"Create Report"

All I got was a list of 14 events on 31 March 1901 with blanks for Principal and a few with "village/Area" details - not enough to identify the problem entries.

Trying Terry's method, I got the Master Events List to take me to the group of tags with "Census 1901" against them.

These had some more info (but no named Principals or Witnesses.)

When I highlight an entry and click on "Tag Type", I don't know how to "change" it as Terry suggested.

If I click on "Tag Type" then "Edit", the "General" tab showing it is a History Tag is greyed out, so I can't change that.

I can amend the "Label" and "Abbreviation", but frankly I'm scared to do so.

Similarly, on the "Other" tab, I can amend the "GEDCOM Export" but again I'm scared to do so!

And I can't use Delete to get rid of the Tag Type altogether, because the system tells me there are still 14 occurrences of the Tag type in the dataset!

And I can't change any of the info on the Tag entry as it's a "History" Tag and it needs to have a Witness.

Sorry to go on at length, but I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious so I hoped that by putting in all this detail someone would be able to point out to me that glaringly obvious thing!

Edited by Stanza