gcdyer

File does not exist. ** APPOBJECT.SHOW

I had to reinstall TMG 7.03 on my Vista deskop. When I tried to open the project I got several TMG error dialog boxes. All had two digit numbers along with "APPOBJECT.SHOW" following. The numbers are:

59 61 62 64 65 67 68 69 72 75 77 78 79

Upon opening, I notice that the icons on the left and top of the screen are very small. How do I restore the icon size? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program a couple of times.

Thank you

To change the size of the icons, menu View > Toolbars > select Large buttons.

Are you still getting the APPOBJECT.SHOW error message when you open your project?

Virginia

This does not change any of the sizes of the icons and when I restart the program the same errors appear.

I am getting other strange errors, too. For instance, when I tried to print a relationship chart, and I press "Create Report" I get the following:

Program Error: File 'c:\programdata\the master genealogist v7\sysdata\abbrevstate.dbgf' does not exist.

George

George, re the size of the icons not changing and the APPOBJECT error message, it sounds as if the graphics and buttons folders may not have been copied in their entirety to the Shared Program Data Files location when you installed. In Windows Vista, the default location for Shared Program Data Files is C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7. You might check that folder and see if there is a Buttons folder with 611 files and a Graphics folder with 64 files.

The error re abbrevstate.dbgf also sounds like an installation problem. Did you download the full 7.03 version when you reinstalled on your desktop and accept the default install locations?

By chance are you running TMG off the SD card on your laptop? If that were the case, it could be that you are missing some of the required support files - which is what the errors seem to point to. Jim can advise you better about that.

Virginia

Virginia:

First, Happy Fourth!

I checked the button folder and no files are listed.

I downloaded what I thought was the proper version on the WG web site. It seems that my CD of 7.00 will not let me install the program when I click on the link on the disc.

George

George, re the size of the icons not changing and the APPOBJECT error message, it sounds as if the graphics and buttons folders may not have been copied in their entirety to the Shared Program Data Files location when you installed. In Windows Vista, the default location for Shared Program Data Files is C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7. You might check that folder and see if there is a Buttons folder with 611 files and a Graphics folder with 64 files.

The error re abbrevstate.dbgf also sounds like an installation problem. Did you download the full 7.03 version when you reinstalled on your desktop and accept the default install locations?

By chance are you running TMG off the SD card on your laptop? If that were the case, it could be that you are missing some of the required support files - which is what the errors seem to point to. Jim can advise you better about that.

Virginia

If you are trying to install v7 from the CD and then upgrade to 7.03, it would be easier to download the v7 trial version from the WG site (unless you have a slow connection) and install that. That would give you the full v7.03, with no need to upgrade.

Are you getting an error message when you try to install the upgrade? There is a known installer problem with Vista where you would get an error message 'Associated Application not found'. If you get that message, the workaround is at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=38140

I don't know why you are not getting the data files (like buttons and graphics) copied properly to user locations. When TMG is installed, it copies the data files from the restricted program files location to user area - and that does not seem to be happening in your case. The default data file storage locations are

1. Shared Program Data Files (used by program - buttons, graphics, language, help files, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

Windows XP and Windows 2000:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

2. User Program Data Files (used by program and user - layouts, toolbars, dna, app.ini, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

3. User Data Files (belonging to user - logs, projects, config files, export, exhibits, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Virginia

Well, I uninstalled once again and installed the 30-day trial version from the WG web site. Once it installed I found that it had my serial number and the TMG logo "X" out on the splash page.

The icon files also did not load.

It appears as if everything is not being uninstalled. How would I assure that this is happening?

George

If you are trying to install v7 from the CD and then upgrade to 7.03, it would be easier to download the v7 trial version from the WG site (unless you have a slow connection) and install that. That would give you the full v7.03, with no need to upgrade.

Are you getting an error message when you try to install the upgrade? There is a known installer problem with Vista where you would get an error message 'Associated Application not found'. If you get that message, the workaround is at

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=38140

I don't know why you are not getting the data files (like buttons and graphics) copied properly to user locations. When TMG is installed, it copies the data files from the restricted program files location to user area - and that does not seem to be happening in your case. The default data file storage locations are

1. Shared Program Data Files (used by program - buttons, graphics, language, help files, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

2. User Program Data Files (used by program and user - layouts, toolbars, dna, app.ini, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

3. User Data Files (belonging to user - logs, projects, config files, export, exhibits, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Virginia

TMG v7 will not uninstall any folders/files in the three Data File Storage locations (listed above). That is to protect your data stored in those locations - including layouts, customizations, and project files.

Since 7.03 seems to be installed (almost) successfully, I suggest leaving the installation the way it is and manually copying the buttons and graphics folders to the required location. If that restores the icons, you can run the program and see if it is otherwise working normally or continues to give error messages.

Simply copy (do not move) the GRAPHICS and BUTTONS folders from the TMG program folder to the shared program data folder, replacing the two existing folders with the same name. Specifically:

Copy from -

The TMG program folder (unless you changed it during installation) is C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7. It contains a folder called GRAPHICS and one called BUTTONS.

Copy to -

For Vista, copy the folders to C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

You can also check that other required files have been copied to user area during installation. See my article at vblakelock.com/tmg7.pdf for lists of the folders/files in the data file storage locations and compare those with what you have in your user area. Note that files in the data file storage locations are duplicates of master folders/files in the TMG program folder and are normally copied to user area during installation.

The question remains why the files were not copied - unless it is a permissions issue with Vista; tech support will have to help with that.

Let me know how it goes -

Virginia

Well, I think I followed your directions and when I opened the program the splash screen seemed normal as well as the main data screens with the larger icons. Thanks.

However, I tried to create a relationship report and got the following error

"File 'c:\programdata\the master genealogist

v7\sysdata\abbrevstate.dbf.does not exist.

TMG v7 will not uninstall any folders/files in the three Data File Storage locations (listed above). That is to protect your data stored in those locations - including layouts, customizations, and project files.

Since 7.03 seems to be installed (almost) successfully, I suggest leaving the installation the way it is and manually copying the buttons and graphics folders to the required location. If that restores the icons, you can run the program and see if it is otherwise working normally or continues to give error messages.

Simply copy (do not move) the GRAPHICS and BUTTONS folders from the TMG program folder to the shared program data folder, replacing the two existing folders with the same name. Specifically:

Copy from -

The TMG program folder (unless you changed it during installation) is C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7. It contains a folder called GRAPHICS and one called BUTTONS.

Copy to -

For Vista, copy the folders to C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

You can also check that other required files have been copied to user area during installation. See my article at vblakelock.com/tmg7.pdf for lists of the folders/files in the data file storage locations and compare those with what you have in your user area. Note that files in the data file storage locations are duplicates of master folders/files in the TMG program folder and are normally copied to user area during installation.

The question remains why the files were not copied - unless it is a permissions issue with Vista; tech support will have to help with that.

Let me know how it goes -

Virginia

Apparently another file not installed. I think you're going to have to consult with tech support on this. You can contact them directly using the Help > Message Manager > Outgoing tab. I'll be interested to know what's happening.

You can try resetting the relationship report to its defaults, using the Delete button under the configuration name on the report definition screen, though I am not optimistic it will make any difference with that error message.

Virginia