half pint

Registration Districts

Hi

I have a query re the above and would like to know how others deal with it.

A large proportion of my ancestors were born in Ulpha, Cumberland, which pre 1974 was in Cumberland but is now in Cumbria. If they had registered their births within their home county they would have come under Bootle Cul, but the nearest RO was actually Ulverston which they quite often used.

I enter Cumberland as the county when I add the birth, but am in a quandry as to what to type in for the county on the birth registration tag as Ulverston reads Lancashire, Cumberland, Cumbria.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Regards

Half Pint

Edited by half pint

Hello Half Pint

Like you, on the birth tag I enter the name of the county as it was when the birth occurred. I don't use a separate birth registration tag, but if I did, I would probably not put a county name in, as I think there are quite a lot of cases where the Registration District spans a county border. In your case, the county boundary changed in 1974, so that's a further complication!

Neil

Hi

A large proportion of my ancestors were born in Ulpha, Cumberland, which pre 1974 was in Cumberland but is now in Cumbria. If they had registered their births within their home county they would have come under Bootle Cul, but the nearest RO was actually Ulverston which they quite often used.

I enter Cumberland as the county when I add the birth, but am in a quandry as to what to type in for the county on the birth registration tag as Ulverston reads Lancashire, Cumberland, Cumbria.

Regards

Half Pint

Hi Neil

Many thanks for replying to my query.

I enter the birth, marriage and death separately from the registration as I may have more detailed knowledge of where the event took place and also over time I may purchase the certificate [when funds and hubby allow].

I have found that it is a lot quicker and easier to add the registration information in the memo field than to create a new source everytime I create a new tag and when I come to purchase it the iformation is straight in front of me.

Your thoughts have given me an idea, in that I really don't need the name of the county where I have the actual address where the event took place so it may be better just to keep the county blank, what do you think?

Again many thanks for taking the time to "talk" to me.

Regards

Half Pint

Hello Half Pint

Like you, on the birth tag I enter the name of the county as it was when the birth occurred. I don't use a separate birth registration tag, but if I did, I would probably not put a county name in, as I think there are quite a lot of cases where the Registration District spans a county border. In your case, the county boundary changed in 1974, so that's a further complication!

Neil

Hi

Regards

Half Pint

I use Birth, Marriage and Death registration Tags, with sentences which refer to the quarter for the date of registration. for example:

[PS] <birth was|and [POS] birth were> registered <at [L]> in the quarter ending < [D].> <[M].>

I agree that quite often certificates can show additional information, which is better placed in the normal B, M, D Tags.

My preference is to record the county as the county when the birth occurred, mainly to aid any overseas relatives who might read my data.

Les wylde