sbroots

Where's my data? Restore to 7.03

I purchased v. 7 a few months ago, but only got around to working with it today. I have two Project files in v6. I backed up both projects, then ran the restore in 7.03. The first project came through ok. The second project imports with only me! And it's not me as I exist in the backed up file, just my first and last name with no events. I deleted the project files in the folder and restored again. Same problem. I made a new backup file with a new name. I deleted myself from the imported file then restored again over it... same thing; just me, no sources, places or exhibits. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I'm got a Dell Inspiron 640m running Windows XP Home.

Thanks!

Mark Davis

South Bend, Indiana

TMG user since v.1

What is the size of the .sqz file of the problem project? Does the restored project have a full complement of files in the project folder (about 80 files)? Did you try Reindexing and VFI on the problem project? Is all this happening on the C: drive of the computer - no backups or restores from a flash drive?

Virginia

Virginia, Thanks for the reply.

The back up is 8,031 kb., about 80 files when restored. I'm doing everything on my c: drive. VFI'd and reindexed the original file before backing up and the same after restore. I'm no expert on this subject, but I would say that the backup process seemed ok. On other oddity, the file name in 6 is DavisHack_.PJC, but when it restores in 7, it is DavisHack_$.CDX_.pjc The other project that came through ok, did not get the $.CDX added to its file names.

Thanks. Mark

If the problem is with the name of the project - with the double extensions - you might try File > Copy or File > Rename within v7 to copy or rename the restored project to simply DavisHack and put it in a separate folder. Does the backup file have an extra extension like DavisHack.pjc.sqz?

Virginia

If the problem is with the name of the project - with the double extensions - you might try File > Copy or File > Rename within v7 to copy or rename the restored project to simply DavisHack and put it in a separate folder. Does the backup file have an extra extension like DavisHack.pjc.sqz?

Virginia

Virginia- The backup file is entitled <DavisHack 2008-07-05 19-49-08.sqz> I took your advice and renamed the file, which took care of the extra extension issue with all the files in the project, but it didn't fix the overall problem.

You can try deleting the .cdx files (they will be regenerated) for the project and see if that clears it up, but if it's a backup problem there could be data omission or corruption somewhere and it may be a waste of time trying to repair the restored project. Contact Tech Support directly using Help > Message Manager > Outgoing tab and refer them to this thread for the details.

Let us know what happens -

Virginia

You can try deleting the .cdx files (they will be regenerated) for the project and see if that clears it up, but if it's a backup problem there could be data omission or corruption somewhere and it may be a waste of time trying to repair the restored project. Contact Tech Support directly using Help > Message Manager > Outgoing tab and refer them to this thread for the details.

Virginia

Thanks for your suggestions... I'll let you know what Tech Help says! Mark

Virginia

Thanks for your suggestions... I'll let you know what Tech Help says! Mark

Virginia. The wonderful Dorothy Turner was able to fix my issue. Here's is now she explained the cause to me:

"There was no problem with your file but you also had a project that had the cdx in the file name, so when it backed up, it backed up those as well. I deleted the project with the cdx in the file name and did a fresh backup."

The project loaded just fine and all the data was there!!!!

Mark "the happy camper" Davis