JohnR

File does not exist

On loading TMG 7.3 today I get a message File does not exist 59 APPOBJECT.SHOW, if I ignore that I get a sequence of APPOBJECT.SHOW not existing

I have tried reloading the 7.3 update, with not perceptable change. Any suggestions?

John

You're running Vista, aren't you, John? Yours is the second report I've seen of the APPOBJECT.SHOW error in 7.03. In the other case (which was with Vista) the Graphics and Buttons files were not copied from the program files to the Shared Program Data Files. You might check that you have at least 586 buttons and 69 graphics files installed in those folders. In Vista, the default location for those folders is C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7.

Virginia

You're running Vista, aren't you, John? Yours is the second report I've seen of the APPOBJECT.SHOW error in 7.03. In the other case (which was with Vista) the Graphics and Buttons files were not copied from the program files to the Shared Program Data Files. You might check that you have at least 586 buttons and 69 graphics files installed in those folders. In Vista, the default location for those folders is C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7.

Virginia

No, I'm running XP (whatever the latest is). I find this is not a TMG problem, somehow I have lost all the content of a number of files on Drive C: though directory structure is in place.

Which TMG file holds the buttons and graphics so that I can copy it back from an old backup?

John

TMG v7 copies the files to your data file storage locations in user area when it installs the program, so reinstalling v7.03 should restore the files if they are missing. See Help > Data File Storage for full details and a list of the files. In brief, the data file storage locations are

1. Shared Program Data Files (used by program - buttons, graphics, language, help files, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

Windows XP and Windows 2000:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

2. User Program Data Files (used by program + user - layouts, toolbars, dna, app.ini, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

3. User Data Files (belonging to user - logs, projects, config files, export, exhibits, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Virginia

TMG v7 copies the files to your data file storage locations in user area when it installs the program, so reinstalling v7.03 should restore the files if they are missing. See Help > Data File Storage for full details and a list of the files. In brief, the data file storage locations are

Virginia

Thank you for that as I couldn't access the help files. Tried re-installing 7.03 with no improvement. Couldn't find TMG in Add/Remove programme so deleted the Programme file and the My Document/TMG7 files. Downloaded and re-installed the full UK version - same result, same error message

John

You do not need to reinstall the program again since you have now done that.

You need to delete all three data storage files that Virginia pointed out above and they will be recreated the next time that you run the program.

You didn't delete the Shared Program Data folder so it wasn't recreated and the buttons and graphics folders were not copied.

You do not need to reinstall the program again since you have now done that.

You need to delete all three data storage files that Virginia pointed out above and they will be recreated the next time that you run the program.

You didn't delete the Shared Program Data folder so it wasn't recreated and the buttons and graphics folders were not copied.

Jim, Thanks for that. I ignored the Shared Data folder on the basis that TMG is not set as a shared programme, silly me, Microsoft knows best.

John