Sign in to follow this  
kyproud

Citing obituaries

I create a souce for every obituary I find and haven't been as consistent as I'd like to be when citing the sources of the obits. Some obits are from newspapers, some are from online mailing lists I subscribe to, and some come from other genealogists who send a copy of a newspaper obit from a newspaper. I looked in Mills' Evidence Explained and she dosen't have it covered (or at least I could not find it in the book). I'm ok with citing the newspaper obits, but not sure how to cite an online obit.

How do I site an obituary I find on an online mailing list? Should I site the mailing list name as "Listserve"? What about the URL? Should it be listed?

If anyone has a template they use for recording all types of published obituaries, I'd appreciate if very much if you would share your verison with us.

Thanks,

Tim

kyproud@comcast.net

Tim,

I just cite the Obit, but where the newspaper name is, I use the Online name like Daily News Journal Online Edition. If it were an email, then I would source the email. That's your source. Then in the CD field you could put cites "John Doe, Obituary, Daily News Journal, Page 3..." (using proper form of course for an obit).

If it were a message board, then I would source the message board. Remember to always cite your source. If someone emails you an obit, you may not be seeing the original, especially if it is older, but a transcription done by that person. It could have typing errors, transcription errors, etc in it.

Thank you Teresa.

After I posted my question, I played around with a few things and came up with a system. I will use the default templates for the newspaper obit and the template for the Electronic file/Listserve. Tweaking them, I was able to find a way to do what I intended.

Thank you for all of the help and suggestions you are providing TMG users on this board!

Tim

kyproud@comcast.net