Neil Grantham

Error messages restoring project

I am using v7.03 and have recently, for the first time, added custom buttons. Nothing spectacular, I just added the Restore and Backup text buttons and removed the Customise button from that toolbar. Then dragged it on to the main toolbar, next to the Save layout button.

I use a PC and a laptop and backup from one and restore to the other, and vice versa.

Whether I do a Full or project backup, when I restore it on the opposite machine I get the following errors

Array dimensions are invalid. 3 CUSLAYOUTMANAGER.MLAYOUTEXIST

I click ignore

Variable 'LCLAYOUT' is not found. 4 CUSLAYOUTMANAGER.MLAYOUTEXIST

I click ignore

Then I am asked if I wish to Save current layout

I answer No - all windows disappear

Array Dimensions are invalid 34 CUSLAYOUTMANAGER.RNACTIVELAYOUT_ASSIGN

I click ignore - windows reappear but my Layout name is now blank

Menu item position must be a positive number. 97 CUSLAYOUTMANAGER.MCHANGELAYOUT

I click ignore and thats it, until...

I select my Layout

Menu item position must be a positive number. 46 CUSLAYOUTMANAGER.MCHANGELAYOUT

I am back to normal, with my project name in the box.

Any ideas?

Do the monitors have different resolutions causing a coordinate problem with the layout?

Virginia

Yes it does. The PC is 1280x1024 the laptop is 1024x768

I see now how it's happening, but should it?

Update: - I now have the monitors at the same resolution, and the same error is occuring in the reverse direction!

This time, I had only saved project data and no custom data, and still the error messages.

Edited by Neil Grantham

Neil, rather than change the monitor resolution, a simpler solution would be to compose and save the same layout and custom toolbar on each machine so it is specific to that setup and monitor resolution, and not include the layout and toolbar in your backups.

Virginia

Neil, rather than change the monitor resolution, a simpler solution would be to compose and save the same layout and custom toolbar on each machine so it is specific to that setup and monitor resolution, and not include the layout and toolbar in your backups.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia, I do mostly save just my project anyway, unless I make any changes to appearance like this.

I am pretty sure that one such 'project' backup has still resulted in the error messages.

Is this a bug or intended errors?

I'm not over confident that a full backup retains all information anyway.

For example, I changed timeline highlighting from red to orange, but restoring a full backup to the laptop, the highlighting stayed red.

The problems sound like TMG is not finding your modified layout, toolbar, or timeline files after the restore. That is why I asked if the paths are the same on both machines. In the v7 data file storage system, the layout and toolbar files are stored in the user program data folder, and the timeline files in the user data folder. When going back and forth between machines, the recommendation is to use the same user data path on both machines. See Help > Data File Storage for details, but generally the three data file storage paths are by default

1. Shared Program Data Files (used by program - buttons, graphics, language, help files, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

Windows XP and Windows 2000:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

2. User Program Data Files (used by program + user - layouts, toolbars, dna, app.ini, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

3. User Data Files (belonging to user - logs, projects, config files, export, exhibits, timelines, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Virginia

Virginia

I would have to say that in may case the paths are different, as the PC is Vista and the laptop XP

Your suggestion of setting up each for layout, and just backing up the project had no effect, and I still get the error messages.

As the programmers have had to deal with the introduction of Vista, I believe they should be using a variable as part of the path to these directories, which would get set at install, no matter where you put them on whichever Operating system.

For example, Windows does such a thing. Got to Start>Run and type %systemroot% and you will open a window to your Base windows directory whether it's C:\Windows, C:\WINNT or C:\ThisismyWindowsDir IE wherever Windows is installed.

Thus, TMG could do the same so that for example %storagedata%, %progdata% and %userdata% would all point to the same place for any scenario and resolve this problem.

Otherwise it's nigh on impossible to retrospectively make these the same.

...or am I missing something!

Edited by Neil Grantham