Stanza

Show Approx Age at Death in Ahnentafel?

In the standard Ahnentafel report, TMG doesn't seem to calculate the age at death if the DOB is only approximate, as it must often be before statutory registration.

Is there some way of getting TMG to calculate and generate the approximate age at death, or does this have to be done "manually" and inserted as a Memo?

Edited by Stanza

In the standard Ahnentafel report, TMG doesn't seem to calculate the age at death if the DOB is only approximate,
Hi,

I don't regularly use the Ahnentafel report but tried it and notice it seems to use standard Tag sentences. Can I assume that you are using the [A] variable to get the age in your Death tag? If so, you may find my notes of the difference between the [A] variable and the [AE] variable of value.

The [A] variable produces output in years only when both the primary tag in the Birth group and the tag that contains the [A] variable contain the full (day, month, year) dates, and the age is over one year. If either date has an appended question mark, then the age will have an appended question mark. It returns no value when the age can not be precisely calculated (e.g. incomplete dates that have only the year). If the [A] is bound by conditional brackets “” then the sentence variable is ignored for incomplete dates or an age less than one year and no age is output. An unconditional use of the variable will return “at an unknown age” for incomplete dates.

Alternatively, the [AE] variable will produce an exact age (years, months, and days) if both dates are complete. It will still produce output even if only approximate dates are known, but it will be only years. The TMG documentation calls [AE] an exact age variable, I choose to call it an exact or estimated age variable. I am currently unaware of a variable to always output just years regardless of the completeness of the dates.

Thus, for those people whom you know have incomplete dates you may want to construct your Death tag to have an alternate Role with a sentence that uses the [AE] variable instead of the [A] variable.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael

That sounds an excellent way of doing it, I wasn't even aware of the [AE] possibility, so will give it a try.

Many thanks.

John