lkreider

Version 4 to a Vista Machine

TMG7 which is compatible with WinVista (32-bit) will import your TMG4 data sets.

Thank you, Jim.

I've just put off the inevitable until too late.

I am getting back to use my Gold Edition V.4 Master Genealogist (Wholly Genes) and am having difficulty having the program find the "data set" that is in the comptuer from the last time I used it (four years ago). Suggestions?

Also, is it best to upgrade my software to version 6 or 7 and is that possible so that it will be able to use the data set created on v. 4?

Is there available any "technical help" phone number from the company?

David F. Keller

From www.whollygenes.com > Contact us

E-mail support : support@whollygenes.com

Phone support : 410-715-2260 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm Eastern)

Is there available any "technical help" phone number from the company?

Hello,

I too have been trying to get my system upgraded. I'm pretty sure I upgraded via internet download from version 4 to either 5 or 6, but don't remember which. I tried to email someone, to see how to do t his the right way without inadvertently wiping my data, but nobody has responded as of yet (it's been more than a week).

So If i purchase the new version 7, do I simply install it without worries, or will it wipe out the data beneath it from the previous data set? Do I need to install it in a different directory so as to NOT lose my data?

My harddrive crashed on my previous system, and we were technically able to recover, but when I went to setup 4, it of course will not run on vista, so I need to knwo the next step.

Also, do I have to pay the full version price for 7? Or is there an upgrade price? I do not have my license number any longer, which is frustrating. I have the CD, but not the license. I Remember when I upgraded before, emailing and requesting that license and it was provided, but of course with the crash, the license email was lost (i've been keeping it for years in my email files).

Keep in mind that TMG4 and TMG7 are completely different programs. You should be using TMG v4.0d and you import your data sets to TMG7. All data will be imported.

If your data sets are not v4.0d, Support can help you.

Jim,

So you are saying, because my computer crashed, and I have backup and everything, that it's impossible to recover the data? I have 15 yrs of work to recover. Sure, I have a gedcom, but I've noticed gedcom's by TMG seem to lose things like notes, pictures, and source data. I don't relish redoing 15 years of work. Especially since I HAD upgraded before, but just don't have the disks. The only DISKS I have are 4.0. I'm pretty sure it's 6.0 I USED to have. I updated that about 4 or 5 years ago, via internet. But when the hard disk crashed, I lost that downloaded upgrade. I can get to the files, just don't know how to get it on to the vista machine so it "RUNS".

**Update. I HAD 6.1.0.0 per the files on my computer, installed it looks like January 2006. If I knew what the filename of the original download was, I might get lucky and have that too, but running a search for all executables doesn't seem to be helping me recognize it.

Edited by TeresaR

If you have backups, irrespective of the version of the backups, what are you going to lose? I don't understand. If you have backups, the data can be gotten into v7.

If you are looking for either TMG 4 or TMG 6 backup files of the TMG projects, their filename extension is ".sqz". Both TMG 4 and TMG 6 are different programs from TMG 7, but if you have the TMG backup files from either Version 4 or 6, Version 7 will read them and you will recover your projects with no loss of data. Versiion 4 ".sqz" files are "imported", Version 6 ".sqz" files are "restored" but the result is the same. If you are looking for the TMG program filename for Version 6 itself, it is "tmg.exe", and the download was called "tmg6setup.exe". You did not say what Operating System came with your new computer. If it is Vista, then you will want to use Version 7. While possible, due to changes in the operating system there are issues with installing Version 6 on Vista. Let us know the specifics of your system and we can help you get a working system complete with all your old data.

You mentioned "I've noticed gedcom's by TMG seem to lose things", but that is not due to TMG. That is due to the GEDCOM standard itself. That standard is so old that many of the features of modern genealogy programs simply cannot be expressed within a GEDCOM file so these features are forced to be lost on export.