Patrick M. Lofft

Modify the Primary Name

How do I Modify the Primary Name when I later learn that the Primary Name is different from the name that I entered when I initiated the person?

Double click on the name at the top of the Detail Window to open the Edit window and make the necessary changes...

Hi Patrick,

What Paul says is exactly correct to simply change the primary name. However, if you had some source citation for the original name, you may wish to retain that in your data. In that case I would add the new name as a Name-Var tag with its citation, and then click on the '*' (asterisk) button to make that name Primary, leaving the original name as a Name-Var. I would then adjust the old name tag's sentence to either read appropriately or not print.

Patrick, I would use a different method than Michael suggests for saving the previous name. Assuming it's really a variation (different spelling, added middle name, full name rather than a nickname, etc.) I would change the name in the exiting primary name tag, but open the citation from the previous source, and add a notation of the Citation Detail there that it "shows name as Bobby Jones" or whatever. Then, when you add the new citation, note in the CD of that citation that it "shows name as Robert F. Jones" or whatever.

If the names are truely different, then I would do as Michael suggests.

The difference in my approach and his is really how much you want the to different names to be apparent. If it's important that both versions be listed in the Picklist, for example, or appear in reports, then do what he suggests. But if not, do what I suggest an make your reports cleaner by "burying" the details in the footnotes.