gene

trial version

I have downloaded the trial version in view of purchasing the full cd. I then imported a gedcom from another familytree program. The complete gedcom didn't load into The Master Genealogist, when I tried to add the children of a family that didn't load into the progam, the master genealogist freezes with an error message of :

Unknown member column4. 10 FRMADDPERSON.GRDPERSONLIST1.RESIZE.

Is this a problem with the trial version. :wacko:

To fix this problem and get the computer working again I have to ctrl alt delete and start the program again. I have looked at the settings and can't see anything out of the ordinary.

I don't want to purchase the cd if this is a know problem with the full version.

thanks

Gene

Gene -

I can replicate the problem, though I can Ignore the series of error messages and continue. Have you tried that?

This may have been fixed for the next update. I will check on that.

Note that the trial version is the full current version.

Virginia

Edited by Virginia Blakelock

Virginia,

The description of the issue above is not clear. I can't get the above error using Add Person. Could you explain the issue clearly?

Jim

Try resetting the Add Person template to fix this.

1) Add / Unrelated / Male

2) On the Add Person screen, click [setup]

3) Click [Reset template]

4) Click [OK]

5) Click [Cancel]

Now see if the issue has been fixed.

Jim -

That fixed the issue for me, though on the second try. I found that I had to click OK instead of Cancel in your step 5 - to actually add a dummy person (whom I later deleted). Since the problem is fixed now, I can't recheck that - maybe I did not click OK correctly in step 4.

Thanks -

Virginia

The template is reset when you click [OK] from the Setup screen. That's why the [Cancel] should work since the template is already reset.

Hello all

Many thanks for the replies to my dilema.

I tried to do a fix that Jim Bryam suggested but got the same error message.

What I didn't mention was that the menu bar becomes inactive when I get the error message:

Unknown member column4. 10 FRMADDPERSON.GRDPERSONLIST1.RESIZE. with ABORT RETRY CANCEL... I have to use abort, the others don't work.

Jim the above error message happened at step (1)

Virginia I only get one error message - the one above - then the menu bar becomes inactive and I can't do anything with it other

than ctrl alt delete to clear the screen. Also I didn't mention that that other programs keep running ie email and anything else I might have open. :(

Edited by gene

Are you using WinXP or Vista?

I had the same dimmed menus and frozen program. Try pressing the Ignore button on the error message. You may get 2 more of the same message, but press Ignore each time and see if you get the next screen in the Add Person series and are able to run Jim's fix.

Virginia

Hi Jim and Virginia

First I am using Windows XP.

I uninstalled the trial program and reinstalled and started entering data starting from me and my parents, all going well until I tried to enter a name of my sibling and then got the same message - Unknown member column4. 10 FRMADDPERSON.GRDPERSONLIST1.RESIZE. with ABORT RETRY CANCEL- sorry the CANCEL should be IGNORE I then clicked on IGNORE several times until it went away. I then went to the ADD PERSON icon and tried to add a sibling and got the same message, I continued to click on the IGNORE button so that I could add people I had to keep doing this to add people to the data base. When I imported a gedcom from another program I couldn't add people after hitting the ignore button , the menu bar was inactive.

Virginia and Jim, you both seem to be advanced users of The Master Genealogist. Apart from the bug in the trial version do either of you have any other problems with the version you are using. By the way what version are you both using? Did either of you have anything to do with the making of the program?

I am still undecided about the program. I like the layout and the options but with the bug in the trial version it doesn't make me feel confident that it is bug free.

thats all for now

Gene

Hi Gene,

Sorry to hear you are having such problems. I am a long time user of TMG and have nothing to do with the program, but wish to assure you that such problems are rare. I have been a computer programmer for many years and know that few significant software programs are bug free. Why else would software packages build in the feature of periodic upates.

However, in my experience TMG is much better than most for many reasons. First, the number of bugs have been extremely small because there are a large group of users that volunteer to test new versions before they are released. Second, the WhollyGenes developers are extremely responsive to problems when they can be identified and reproduced and are prompt in producing updates to fix problems. And they are absolutely fixated on making sure that the software never ever damages your data.

Based on what Jim and Virginia are saying I suspect that your bug only occurs in Beginner mode. Since I would guess that over 90 percent of users quickly switch to advanced mode for the added features, this may be why more users are not seeing this problem.

If you are serious about detailed collection and documentation of your genealogy, I think you will find TMG has the most features and is the most flexible and configurable of similar products on the market. The TMG user forum is constantly filled with questions from users that are glad they switched to TMG from other packages because they want its added capabilities.

Please do not be discouraged by this one rare bug. And consider the prompt support that has been available to help. The users of TMG are great and extremely helpful.

Just one user's opinion,

Gene,

All programs have bugs. WG makes every effort to kill them when they appear. This particular issue should be fixed in v7.04.

Jim