When opening up this morning I got a screen with the above heading.

Underneath was the following:

[color="#0000FF"]

"Repair Mode has been activated. The application will now operate some what more slowly as it validates each file that it is opened.

Repair mode will be off again next time you run the application"[/color]

I click <OK> and I then get the opening menu.

"Welcome to the Master Genealogist!"

I am offered all the options with the exception of <Last>.

I go to <Select> and select the project I wish to open

I then get a screen headed,

"My project.Hawkins_.PJC - The Master Genealogist (repair mode)"

It states,

"An error has occured when opening the data tables...."

It then goes on to identify the file

"File c:\Documents and Settings\.......\.......\The Master Genealogist v7\MY PROJECT.HAWKINS_ND.dbf

not found"

I click <OK> and the screen closes.

I have done two things that may have caused the problem and that is I have renamed two of the files.

I have done a system restore to initially 24 hours previous, this made no difference so went back a further 24 hours which was also unsuccesfull.

I then decided to restore from a backup, (surprise, surprise yes I did have one) but got a question asked during the restoration that I was not happy to go past.

I go through the same process as described above and insted of going to the <select> button I go to the <restore> button.

I follow the commands and get to selct the location of the backup which is on a cd, I select the backup file and when I open the file I get the "Restore Wizard."

I select step 1. <restore project> one of three options, then

Step 2 Data and accept the 3 files/locations offered, they are the,

1. location of the file, in this case the cd drive

2. Restore project to this folder

3. Restore exhibits to this folder

When I go to <next> I get this message.

"You're trying to restore a backup over your existing data! Are you sure you want to continue?"

My question then is Do I ?

Also should I NOT accept the file destinatations/locations offered in Step 2 Data.

I hope this is clear to those that know more than I which unfortunately is not much.

I have been using TMG for some years now and am quite happy with it, however am aware of my own shortcomings.

TIA

Alan NZ

I should add that the two others files I did NOT rename open ok!

Alan

Before restoring anything,

How did you "rename" whatever 2 files you renamed?

Individual files in explorer outside TMG

OR via the TMG File>rename project options?:

A single TMG project consists of a large number of interdependent separate files. If you attempted to rename only a few of the files in Windows outside of TMG you can cause TMG to become terribly confused. If you wish to rename a project always do it inside of TMG so it will rename all of the necessary files that are a part of that project.

If you know what two files they are, I would be tempted to rename them back to what they were and try from there.

I have the same issue with the exception 0 files have been renamed. Please provide some options for me to try. Having trouble getting into tech services.

vette