macca

how to trf from old computer to new?

Hi All,

I have posted this on the pre sales forum but have not had a reply so will try here as I really want to purchase this software ASAP.

I have tried the 30day trial which expired 2 weeks ago while my screen died on old computer, now have a laptop which is where I wish to download tmg vers.7 UKedition, my question is I transferred via gedcom file from GENERATIONS 4 onto the trial version, when I purchase the tmg software would I load it onto the new computer and then how do I transfer information across (via a file transfer cable I guess?) to laptop OR do I unlock the trial version first on old computer and then use a flash drive to download the information but how do I then get it onto laptop, does the licence allow to download onto 2 computers??

Also when I click for the unlock key, is there a box somewhere to state I want the UK version and not US?

Barb

Barb,

I am going to assume that you have done some editing on the old computer so you are going to want to transfer a backup to the new one. FIrst thing firs is go ahead and purchase TMG 7. Your unlock code is good for both computers as long as you don't use the software at the same time, so go ahead and unlock the OLD computer and make a backup of your data. That you can put on the flash drive to transfer to the new computer. Then you can download the trial again to the new computer and then unlock it on the NEW computer. Then you can just restore the data from the old computer.

I am not sure about the US or UK version. I use the US version. I am sure someone can tell you the difference.

I have tried the 30day trial which expired 2 weeks ago while my screen died on old computer, now have a laptop which is where I wish to download tmg vers.7 UKedition, my question is I transferred via gedcom file from GENERATIONS 4 onto the trial version, when I purchase the tmg software would I load it onto the new computer and then how do I transfer information across (via a file transfer cable I guess?) to laptop OR do I unlock the trial version first on old computer and then use a flash drive to download the information but how do I then get it onto laptop, does the licence allow to download onto 2 computers??

As Teresa says, the best way to transfer your data from one computer to the other is to make a backup, then copy that to the new computer, then Restore (not Open) the backup on the new computer.

I don't recall whether you can make a backup on an expired trial version - if so, go ahead and do so. If not, unlock it with your new unlock code. Youre licence allows you to install TMG on up to three computers, provided only copy is in use at any one time.

Once you make the backup you can transfer it by cable or local network if you have them, or you can copy it to a CD or thumb drive, then copy it off on the new computer. Then, just Restore on the new computer.

Also when I click for the unlock key, is there a box somewhere to state I want the UK version and not US?

The unlock code doesn't care which version you use - that is determined by the version you download and install. Same code works on either.

Is the trial version you installed the UK version? If not, there are some steps you need to take to convert the project you are copying. If you need to do that, let us know and we can help.

Oh Hello. I just replied but on the wrong section I think it ended up on end of Terry's answer,

so here goes again, the version I downloaded as a trial is US but would like directions on how to alter that to the UK version please.

I am just closing off now to make payment for the program and will then follow the directions I have received thru this forum to my query, I thank you both for replying I do appreciate all the help I am given.

Barb

The U.S. and U.K. require different installers. The programs are the same but the U.K. installer adds the U.K. customizations that are applied the first time that the program is run.

U.S. installer

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe

U.K. installer

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7uksetup.exe

Note that for a data set to have U.K. customizations, it must be created with a U.K. installation.

A U.S. data set in a project can have the U.K. customizations added as described here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=39122

Hi again Jim,

Thank you for that information about the driver needed to convert the US version to the UK, just bear with me with this one question which to you technical guys is probably a real dumb question (but I am blonde so feel I can ask it) would I download the driver onto new computer BEFORE I download and unlock the tmg program??? Thanks for your patience.

Barb

Hello again Jim,

Thank you for the information re the driver needed to change the customizations from US to UK,,I just need to ask one more question which, to you technical guys possibly seems a stupid question (but I am blonde so feel I can still ask it) would I download the driver BEFORE I download and unlock the US version( which is on old computer & waiting to be unlocked)?

Many thanks for your patience I do appreciate it.

Barb.

"driver needed to convert the US version to the UK" Huh? There is no such creature.

The downloads above are the full installers for the two versions of the program.