bpyle

WordPort Spawn error

When trying to save a report to a Word File (Word 2007) I get WordPort Spawn error. I searched the forum and found that others had that problem, but no solution. Has anybody come up with anything? I'm using Vista 64 Premium. I'm not a real happy camper!

TMG7 is not supported under x64 operating systems since, currently, all features don't work.

Word processor output is the feature that does not work under the x64 operating systems (output to Word, Wordperfect, RTF and HTML, etc.).

You can output to a PDF. You should permanently install the TMG PDF pronter driver (File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer]

All of the other TMG7 features do work under x64. (My primary desktop system is running WinVista x64.)

I did that, but when I try to generate the report, TMG hangs up and I have to close it.

TMG7 is not supported under x64 operating systems since, currently, all features don't work.

Word processor output is the feature that does not work under the x64 operating systems (output to Word, Wordperfect, RTF and HTML, etc.).

You can output to a PDF. You should permanently install the TMG PDF pronter driver (File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer]

All of the other TMG7 features do work under x64. (My primary desktop system is running WinVista x64.)

I have the same problem, and run Vista Ultimate 64. I don't think that's very acceptable since the WG Buy It Now page doesn't say anything about it not running under Vista x64. Perhaps I missed this somewhere else on the web pages. I notice in checking the web page for the third party product WordPort that they indicate their software runs under Vista, and they don't mention any limitations, either. I'm not sure whether this is THEIR issue or WG's issue, but regardless I would rather have known this before buying the product. So far, everything else runs fine, except one error involving resizing windows reported elsewhere.

While I don't mind outputting to PDF format most of the time, the big issue that I have is that I don't want endnotes, I want footnotes and I don't get them, apparently, unless I output to a word processing format. While I didn't install the TMG PDF printer (because I have a perfectly good one in place already), I'm guessing that won't change the situation of the footnotes. Very disappointing.

The issue comes from the word processing module which is not written by Wholly Genes.

The report output components are currently being rewritten but when that will be done is unknown at this point.

You are right in that the web page needs to make the point that this part of TMG does not currently work under x64.

When I first started using TMG, I don't believe that it had any report output or, at the most, the report output was very limited. :)

The issue comes from the word processing module which is not written by Wholly Genes.

The report output components are currently being rewritten but when that will be done is unknown at this point.

You are right in that the web page needs to make the point that this part of TMG does not currently work under x64.

When I first started using TMG, I don't believe that it had any report output or, at the most, the report output was very limited. :)

Well, when I first started driving, we didn't have seat belts! Not a good argument! :unsure:

I do appreciate the info about the third party library, though. Overall, I think TMG is light years ahead of the competition, but it's definitely frustrating to run into limitations like this in a product that has obviously evolved over a number of years to its current level of sophistication. That evolution, though, has created some issues, I think, where the current design is probably dragging some old baggage with it because some of the design doesn't make sense to me. However, it's possible that the problem is simply that I have a different mental model of some of the processes and possibly don't yet appreciate the issues that other people have run into that have caused the current design decisions. I'm still learning the package, for sure.

Thanks for the info--I'd be interested in hearing when WordPort has upgraded to support 64 bit.

Btw, are we allowed to run multiple instances on multiple computers? And more specifically, does the software check the license online (or otherwise) for that in case it is not allowed?

Edited to add: I mean in this case specifically, as this is a technical limitation of the software. I know the licence says: "you may install this licensed copy of the product on no more than three (3) computers (e.g., home, office, laptop) for your exclusive use or that of your immediate family members, provided that no two of those computers shall ever operate the software at the same time" and I was planning to blatantly violate that clause to get the usability intended, if the software does not prevent me from doing that.

And does the output to Word formats work without Word installed?

Reason I'm asking is that I could make a XP 32bit vmware install just for report generation purposes with nothing else but TMG installed and I like to frequently check the output so I would not like to constantly close-open-close-open TMG in various OS instances.

(thought it'd be better to ask before I waste my time doing that in case it is doomed to fail)

(of course, I'd prefer 64bit compatibility would be fixed instead, but this would do the trick in the meanwhile)

Edited by Maccara

And does the output to Word formats work without Word installed?

Whether Word is installed or not has nothing to do with the issue discussed above.

If you're asking if you can generate a Word document from TMG on a system that does not have Word installed, the answer is yes. The fact that Word is not installed simply means that TMG can't open the document in Word after it is generated. You appear to be asking if it's necessary to install Word on the VM with the 32-bit os and the answer is no.

I could make a XP 32bit vmware install just for report generation purposes with nothing else but TMG installed and I like to frequently check the output so I would not like to constantly close-open-close-open TMG in various OS instances.

That should work.

Whether Word is installed or not has nothing to do with the issue discussed above.

Yes, of course; I realize that.

If you're asking if you can generate a Word document from TMG on a system that does not have Word installed, the answer is yes. The fact that Word is not installed simply means that TMG can't open the document in Word after it is generated. You appear to be asking if it's necessary to install Word on the VM with the 32-bit os and the answer is no.

This is exactly what I meant - if I can generate ".doc" -files from TMG without Word installed; thanks for the confirmation.

And now that I think of it, I should've realized that myself. :rolleyes: Of course it should work without having Word installed, since the problems discussed above are due to the 3rd party module that is used for the .doc generation (hence, no native Word is used in the first place). (I'm a bit perplexed since I'm just overcoming a learning curve for a new software and many other software requires it for report etc generations and I've used it myself as a shortcut many times in my own app devel so that I don't have to include a 3rd party module so got hung up on that :))

I could make a XP 32bit vmware install just for report generation purposes with nothing else but TMG installed and I like to frequently check the output so I would not like to constantly close-open-close-open TMG in various OS instances.

That should work.

Thanks!

The report/word-processing library for TMG that will allow Word output when running on x64 systems is under development.

On Aug 31st you said essentially the same thing and further said:

"You are right in that the web page needs to make the point that this part of TMG does not currently work under x64."

Surely 5 months is plenty of time to rewrite a small bit of code and update Wholly Genes web pages.

Are you a spokesperson for Wholly Genes or are you just saying stuff off the top of your head?

If you are not a spokesperson for Wholly Genes, what is their official position on this outrage?

I wish only the best for TMG, Wholly Genes and the user community of which I am a VERY long member, but something must be done ASAP. Wholly Genes cannot continue to try to have it both ways, on the one hand shipping WordPort as part of every TMG download/disc and on the other hand saying it is someone else's software therefore not their problem.

Kimball, I'm just another long-time user like you, I'm not a techie and not speaking for WG, but if you are suggesting that TMG uses the WordPort report conversion software, it does not. TMG uses the R&R report writer. Searching TMG files, I can find no mention of WordPort. You can find the RRW folder both in the program files folder and in your shared program data files folder.

Also searching Google, it appears that the term 'word port' may be coding terminology, independent of the WordPort software.

Virginia

Are you a spokesperson for Wholly Genes or are you just saying stuff off the top of your head?

I don't speak for Wholly Genes. If you want to talk to Wholly Genes, write or call them.

Do I know, first hand, that the fix for this is in development? Yes.

If you are not a spokesperson for Wholly Genes, what is their official position on this outrage?

Interesting. You are asking me to speak for Wholly Genes when I'm not a spokesperson for Wholly Genes.

Wholly Genes cannot continue to try to have it both ways, on the one hand shipping WordPort as part of every TMG download/disc and on the other hand saying it is someone else's software therefore not their problem.

The word processing module in TMG is named WordPort by it's developer and that accounts for the 'WordPort' in the error message. This has nothing to do with the WordPort report writer library that you might find from a web search.

In regard to your statement as a whole, Wholly Genes has never said any such thing that I'm aware of.

It's a problem of which they are aware and they are dealing with it. They have never said that it is someone else's problem.

btw... Please keep this topic civil. To do otherwise will accomplish nothing. Anyone who choses to do otherwise will find themselves changed to moderated status.

Edited by Jim Byram