PiercysEtc

Problem with Compressed Pedigree report to PDF

When I output a Compressed Pedigree report from TMG to the screen it shows fine with all the lines showing correctly.

When I output it to Word it also shows correctly.

When I import the Word DOC file into the DTP package it still shows correctly.

BUT when I export from the DTP package to PDF the lines are replaced by - (minus), + (plus - at the corners) and | (separator) characters.

Checking the PDF file properties shows CourierNewPSMT (EmbeddedSubset), Type Truetype, Encoding: Ansi among the fonts used in the document.

The same thing occurs whether Preferences in Acrobat are set to Rendering: Use Local Fonts, or not.

Context:

- TMG v6.12 under WinXP SP2

- Word 2000

- DTP package - Serif PagePlus 10

I have output from Serif PP10 to PDF both by using the built-in Publish to PDF facility, which appears to handle everything else perfectly well, and printing to PDFactory Pro. Both PP10 and PDFactory Pro have served me well in the past; this is the first problem of this sort I have had with either.

I appreciate that the problem may lie somewhere between PagePlus and Acrobat, rather than TMG, but perhaps someone else on the list has had the problem and come up with a solution. Better still, if they have NOT had the problem but still have a solution... <g>

Thanks in advance

Tom

Tom -

When you save the compressed pedigree report directly to Acrobat (PDF) from the TMG report definition screen, do the lines appear correctly? The font that TMG uses in v6 for the lines is A Line TMG (Alinetmg.ttf).

Virginia

Thanks for coming back on this one, Virginia.

When you save the compressed pedigree report directly to Acrobat (PDF) from the TMG report definition screen, do the lines appear correctly?
Yes, indeed. They look fine, using TMG's built-in PDF converter (Amyuni?). The PDF file properties, fonts tab, shows fonts used as:

ALineTMG (Embedded Subset), Type: TrueType, Encoding: Custom

Ariel (Embedded Subset), Type: TrueType, Encoding: Custom

Ariel Bold (Embedded Subset), Type: TrueType, Encoding: Custom

I am just relinquishing my copy of Word 2000 for Open Office 2.4 and at the moment have both on my PC. I was interested to see that when I export the same report directly to a DOC file and open it in Word, it looks fine. However, the lines are marked as being in Courier New and the text in Arial. In Tools > Options > Font Substitution it says "No substitution is necessary. All fonts used in this document are available".

When I open it in Open Office Writer, having made no changes, the lines all appear as As and 3s. The lines are now marked as being in MS LineDraw though the text is still in Arial. In Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Fonts, "Apply Replacement Table" is unticked.

Open it again in Word, and again it looks fine with the lines in Courier New. Etc, etc.

No sign in either case of ALineTMG font being used.

How can an unedited file appear to have the same characters in two different fonts at the same time, according to which word processor it is viewed in? Both WPs are on the same machine and on the same drive.

I don't know if that is in any way connected to the PDF problem, but it seems to be another anomaly with the same characters.

When I import the DOC file, unchanged, into PagePlus DTP software, the lines still appear to be in Courier New and the text in Arial. Again, no sign of the ALineTMG font.

I'm now more puzzled that ever :huh:

Tom

Edited by piercyetc

A quick follow-up to my last post.

I find that if I edit the DOC file manually to change the Courier New font to ALineTMG, after I have imported it into my PagePlus DTP software, it prints out from PagePlus as a PDF file with all the lines fine and dandy.

So I now have a laborious manual work-around. But that still begs the question, why does my installation of TMG6 export the Descendant Indented Chart, in Word for Windows 2000 or later, with Courier New font where presumably there should be ALineTMG font, and when ALineTMG is installed?

I've just realised that I must have a look and check if similar things happen with a Compressed Pedigree Chart. But that's for tomorrow; it's getting late over here.

Thanks for your help. It certainly has helped to move me along towards a solution.

Tom