Sign in to follow this  
strathglass

Error message on restore: "Folder Z:\... does not exist."

Hi all:

Have a new problem to resolve, hopefully someone can help:

-I backed up my database that I last worked on with TMG7.03 under Win XP Pro SP3 running under VMware Fusion on a Mac.

-I went to restore this using TMG7.03 again but this time with Win XP Pro SP3 running under Parallels Desktop on a Mac

-I select the project to restore OK

-I select the folder to restore TO and the existing exhibits folder to use: for both of these, after selecting, I will get the subject "folder ... does not exist" error message, even though it does (obviously, since I just selected them!!)

I am about to remove and re-install the application and try again. In the mean time, does anyone have any ideas?

The backup was a usual complete backup of EVERYTHING, if that makes a difference.

Regards,

Strathglass

By the way:

If I double-click the .pjc file directly (created essentially on a different machine [VMware fusion vs. Parallels Desktop])

instead of trying to restore a backup,

I get a similar error message:

"An error happened when opening the data tables...

Path Z:\Documents\06.Genealogy\[...] not found"

Again, this message is wrong because the path (folder) indicated DOES indeed exist.

-Strathglass

FYI - I have given up on Parallels due to this issue, which I was not able to resolve.

It appears to be something peculiar to TMG7 by the way: regular text files are able to be edited OK, so I don't think it is any issue with the VM's access to the Mac files.

VMware Fusion seems to work well for me running TMG, so I will stick with it for now.

Regards,

Strathglass

John - are your TMG files stored on the Parallels VM (ie. on the C:\ drive), or do you keep them on the Mac side and let TMG access them via a shared folder?

I was able to get Parallels to run TMG OK, but only in the former case, not the latter.

Regards,

Strathglass

John - are your TMG files stored on the Parallels VM (ie. on the C:\ drive), or do you keep them on the Mac side and let TMG access them via a shared folder?

I was able to get Parallels to run TMG OK, but only in the former case, not the latter.

Regards,

Strathglass

---

I'm having no problem running TMG 7.03 on Parallels, either. But I do keep everything on the PC side. I was wondering why you want to move them over to the Mac?

Carol

Thanks for the feedback Carol.

I have no compelling reason to keep the files on the Mac side (just wanted to do so to keep all my files organized in one location), so I am therefore thinking of sticking with Parallels and keeping the files on the PC side:

as long as I back up my VM then the TMG files are backed up. And I can use Parallels Explorer to see & copy the files from the Mac too.

So keeping files on the PC side would be OK. Just wondering if others kept the files on the Mac side (i.e. is this problem specific to me or a common parallels issue)?

Regards,

Strathglass.

Just wondering if others kept the files on the Mac side (i.e. is this problem specific to me or a common parallels issue)?

I have not been successful in using the Mac side for TMG projects. I think it is TMG & Parallels. I don't have an issue with other Windows apps opening / saving to the Mac file system.

You've mentioned running VMware Fusion as well as Parallels.

:question: When running a virtual machine using Fusion are you able to store and use TMG projects on the Mac side?

John - are your TMG files stored on the Parallels VM (ie. on the C:\ drive), or do you keep them on the Mac side and let TMG access them via a shared folder.
I keep the files on the PC side, not in the Mac file system.