I have added an adoption for the first time in my data.

For the person in question, I have put her birth name, and birth parents.

I have then added a Name-Var Tag for her adopted name, and also Father-Ado/Mother-Ado Tags with her adoptive parents names on them

In the Journal report, I am using Custom, so that I can have Spouse events show, but this is only showing her 'alternate' name (for want of a better term)

How can I get it to show her adoptive parents names? Perhaps I've tackled this wrong?

Thanks

Neil

Depend on what you want to do. You can connect them via an Adoption tag and put the details in the memo. You can make the adoptive parents primary as if they were her biological parents. You could attach her adoptive parents to her birth tag and use the [WM] variable to explain the situation.

You could use a note tag and explain the situation. THere are as many ways as there are situations.

Hmm. At the moment the Journal report says

John Doe was born 25 Oct 1943 at <Place>. He married Jane Smith on 5th April 1965 at <Place>.

Jane Smith was born on 28 Oct 1945 at <Place> As of November 1945 she was also known as Margaret Jones.

I would like to get it there somewhere/somehow, that she was known as that due to adoption, and who the adoptive parents are (IE Mr & Mrs Jones)

Neil,

Okay that's easy. Each name tag has a memo field. First I would use an adoption tag to explain that John and Jane adopted her.

John Doe was born 25 Oct 1943 at <Place>. He married Jane Smith on 5th April 1965 at <Place>.

Jane Smith, daughter of James Jones and Sarah Doe, was born on 28 Oct 1945 at <Place>. Jane Smith was adopted by John Doe and Jane Smith in November 1945 at <Place>. As of November 1945 she was also known as Margaret Jones, due to her adoption becoming final. She no longer used the name Jane Smith after that date.

Hi Neil,

As I am adopted and have a number of adoptions in my ancestors I have thought about this a lot. This whole topic can get quite complex depending upon what all you want to record and how you want it to output. You might like to review the multiple adoption tags and their sentences that I have posted in the Sentences Forum. This may be more complex than you want to consider at this time, but you might extract some ideas that will work for your situation.

Hope this gives you ideas,