bradhallsr

Change all name spellings from Upper case to lower case

When I imported my family tree from my old program, all last names were in upper case. In TMG you can now have the software do this for you. Is their a faster way of correcting all 7,300 names from all upper case to lower case, other than one person at a time. It would be nice if I was able to use a feature like the place/location shifter TMG has, where you can also correct all spellings as well within TMG.

When I imported my family tree from my old program, all last names were in upper case. In TMG you can now have the software do this for you. Is their a faster way of correcting all 7,300 names from all upper case to lower case, other than one person at a time. It would be nice if I was able to use a feature like the place/location shifter TMG has, where you can also correct all spellings as well within TMG.

Hi,

Have you checked out John Cardinal's TMG Utility?

It has a function called Capitalise names, which documentation reads:

========

Capitalize Names changes the capitalization of name fields. The function will capitalize any or all of the "display" name fields: Title, Prefix, Given, PreSurname, Surname, Suffix, and OtherName.

The term "capitalize" in this context means "change the name field to the usual mix of upper and lowercase letters." That is obviously not the same as "change the name to all capitals," which is what some people thought I meant!

========

The utility is donarware with the donations going to a good cause.

Check out

http://www.johncardinal.com/

Thanks, I went and read the information about the TMG Utility program, and it sounds like the cure I was looking for!

Thanks!

Brad Hall

Shouldn't you be able to set that option when setting up a new project? It's really irritating to have to use third party software to do something like this.

There is nothing to set up in a new project because there are no names in it. You enter the names as you prefer as you enter the people - with mixed case being recommended. If you enter them in mixed case and want them to display in all caps there is a Preferences setting to display names in all caps, and also report settings to have them appear that way in reports.

The suggestion to use TMG Utility is for importing data from another program, or for a user who started entering names as upper case and has decided to change. Making the change is an imperfect process - names like McDonald or MacDonald or Ohara are found spelled with and without the second capitalized letter. The TMG Utility has tools to help deal with these, but some manual cleanup may still be needed if such names appear in your data.

Along this same line......... is there a way to change the spelling of a last name and have all of the descendants also changed without having to go to each individual?

Along this same line......... is there a way to change the spelling of a last name and have all of the descendants also changed without having to go to each individual?

TMG Utility has two features for dealing with this.

• Add Standard Names - Adds name tags with the "common" spelling of a surname to people who have it spelled differently. So, for example, you can add a name tag with the surname spelled "Smith" for everyone who currently has it spelled "Smythe". This helps you find people whose primary surname uses a variant spelling.
  • Change Name Parts - A powerful bulk editor for names where you can change name parts (surnames, given names, titles, etc.) based on criteria you define.

I am a user who started entering names as upper case and has decided to change. Do I need to add the TMG Utility file to store my first download, or where is it supposed to go?

Not sure what you mean by "add the TMG Utility file to store my first download"? :unsure:? The TMG Utility is a separate donorware program that was written by John Cardinal. That separate program can be downloaded from John's website listed above and then installed on your computer. This extremely powerful utility program reads an actual TMG project database and makes the changes you request to the data directly and permanently in that TMG database. Since such changes can have serious consequences to your data it is always recommended to use the Utility in these steps:

1. make a complete backup of your TMG project so you can restore to this point in case what the Utility does is not what you expected/wanted
  2. close TMG so that your project is not open in both TMG and the Utility at the same time
  3. test your commands by running the TMG Utility in "Log Only" mode to review the results that would happen as a result of your commands
  4. then make the actual run of the TMG Utility against your TMG project
  5. now carefully review the results in TMG

I am a user who started entering names as upper case and has decided to change. Do I need to add the TMG Utility file to store my first download, or where is it supposed to go?

Polly,

You can download it from here (if this was your question): http://www.johncardinal.com/tmgutil/

Regards

Helmut

I import data from Familysearch e.g. BMD. This data is quite often in upper case particularly if it relates to Parish Records. It is annoying that you have to go through the data and change it to Mixed Case.

It would be much quicker to have the ability to have the option to change the data to mixed case when the files are being imported into TMG. Another option on Step 5 of the import option to allow to change the case to Upper/Lower or Mixed Case. I understand the problems with some names but it could be explained that you have the option to Change to another case or not.

Regards

Derek

As has been suggested, use TMG Utility after the import. It costs you nothing and is quick and simple to accomplish what you want to do.