elevator

Surety Problems

I am not sure if this has been up before; but a simple search yielded no results so here goes:

I am having a few problems with my sureties in TMG v7.03. I am revisiting a few people to cite some new sources that I have come upon. In the process of doing this I realize that the surety values for the citations already there are completely off. I am very meticulous about using surety values for every single citation I input, as I use these surety values alot in my research. What I have noticed is that the surety values that show on the "Details" screen for a particular person does not correspond to the surety values of the combined citations for a particular tag. I hope that make sense. Let me illustrate with an example:

On my detail screen it can say for example:

Type | Date | Name/Place | Age | 12DPM

Birth | 25 Oct 1823 | Vestfold, Norway | 0 | 12.3.

While in the citation box it may say

Citation 1: 3.32.

Citation 2: 1.1..

Citation 3: 1.11.

I don't know what has happened, but what the Birth tag on the detail screen should say in the surety section is, of course: 3.32.

It is easily fixed by simply opening the tag and pressing ok to re-save it. As far as I can see no citations are missing (which was my initial fear remembering the problems with version 6 and missing citations)

Anyone have any idea of what might be going on and if there is a global fix for this? I have tried running the reindex, optimize and verify file integrity maintenance functions (in fact I run them all once a week when I back up my data), but the problem seems to be persistent, though as of yet only evident on people I have not edited for some time.

Thanks,

Ken.

Ken,

That has been reported alot on the TMG-L list, but I haven't seen any resolution for it other than like you say opening the tag and resaving it. It appears to be a display bug, as the citations are in the tag, but for those of us who use sureties alot, it's an irritating one.

Guest Michael Dietz

I have noticed the same situation many times. Especially annoying is when items without a surety all of a sudden have one or more. However all I have to do is run the Validate File Integrity and the all sureties all corrected. I can actually watch them change on the current detail screen after the VFI finishes. And so it does seem to be a display problem of some sorts.

Mike

It certainly makes me feel a lot better to know that it is apparently just a display problem. My initial fear was that data was being lost as well, but so far all the tags I have checked all have their citations in place with the correct sureties; they just don't always display correctly on the detail screen. Like Teresa, while I am happy to hear that none of my data should be compromised by this bug, it certainly is an annoying bug! :)

Thank you both for your help.

Ken.

Edited by elevator

Are we talking about event tags or name tags or relationship tags or all three?

The mechanism is simple and I thought that v7.03 VFI should fix the display issue. Checking on that.

The real surety values in the citation table have nothing to do with the display. The values displayed come from the event, name and relationship tables which are 'summaries' of the citation surety values.

Jim:

Thank you for your reply. I have encountered surety problems with at least event tags and name tags. So far, I have not seen problems with relationship tags.

I can definitely confirm that the problem is still evident as I run VFI about once a week and I've had v7.03 installed since it was released (and no problems have been reported by the VFI procedure).

Jim,

I am also experiencing the disappearance of surety values from the Details Screen. When checked, all the information is present, including the assigned value. Exiting the citation of the source seems to refresh the display and the surety value is again visible. I see this primarily with the Name Tag, but it also happens with the Name-Marr tag.

Dave Offutt

Ken,

Please contact me by email and I'll walk you through a fix.

I need to know your operating system.

Click on the link below to send me an email.

Jim Byram

I have the same problem with sureties displaying as random values on the details screen.

I understand that this will be fixed in the next version, but I also understand that there is a fix available now.

Any channce of someone ponting me toward it?

I am using TMG 7.04 on Win7 (x86)