Sign in to follow this  
zanemc

Exihibit file naming

Hi

I'm wanting to rename my TMG exibit files into a single folder using the

structure under may username name /The Master Genealaohist

I'm thinking of using the following structure but would appreciate some critical comment & suggestions from other TMG users , since it's a fairly big task to impliment!

File name example : T99999McCarron George W PWED#1

Where :

T99999 = "T" + TMG ID code

McCarron George W = Surname + 1st name (full) + 2nd name initial

PWED = Document type ( see possible list below)

#1 = Sequence no for within document type

Document types

============

Birth cert = CBRC

Death cert = CDE

Mariage cert = CMR

Baptism = CBA

UK Census 1851 = U1851

Newspaper articles = NEWS

Photo- portrates = PORT

Photo- wedding = PWED

Photo- gravestones = PGRAV

Photo- others = POTH

Sevice records - WW1 = SWW1

Thanks

Zane

Zane,

This has been my system (both in my filing cabinet and computer) since I started genealogy.

C:/PICTURES is where images are stored. (Assume that is what I call my two filing cabinets)

Under that is a FOLDER for each surname (Those are hanging file folders in my cabinet)

Under those FOLDERS are another FOLDER for each document type (Those are three ring notebooks that hold protective sheets; 13 sheets per book)

So in the computer I have:

C:/PICTURES/GHEE/WILLS/JOHNGEE.JPG

C:/PICTURES/HAYNES/DEEDS/JOHNHAYNES.JPG

C:/PICTURES/MORGAN/MARRIAGES/MORGAN-JONES.JPG

In my cabinet, I would have a Ghee hanging file, with a Wills three ring notebook (usually sell for a dime around back to school time) and in that folder would be a will of John Gee with a TMG source number (312) in the corner.

In TMG the source record has a FILE REFERENCE source element where I store the surname-document and a SOURCE NUMBER source element where I store the source number. It prints GHEE-Wills, #312.

I can move from computer to TMG, from TMG to computer, from computer to file cabinet, from file cabinet to TMG, etc in seconds.

This works for me. The reason I would avoid special codes, and numbering systems, is that you want your system to be usable by who ever adopts your papers later. If it's not, they will toss the whole thing. By sticking with surname, and document type, anyone can use my filing system.

For documents that cover more than one family line, I simply pick one. TMG will tell me where the paper if filed. I tend to go with the surname of the husband, or first male mentioned in the document (that I am researching).

For documents that cover more than one family line, I simply pick one. TMG will tell me where the paper if filed. I tend to go with the surname of the husband, or first male mentioned in the document (that I am researching).

Well, DUH! Just pick one? Teresa, that's obviously much too easy for me. I'da nevah thunk of just pickin' one. Sometimes the simplest of things escapes me. :wacko:

In all seriousness, I had thought about what to do with multiple people and decided it fell into the "Very Hard to Impossible" category. So I pretended it didn't exist. I've been doing this for years, so the little tidbits posted on here aren't just for newcomers. A couple of words from you and you provided a simple solution for what I made into a complex problem. :)