Bob3

Citation Migratration

I have begun creating my database, with citations, sources, repositories, etc. I then created a ancestor journal report. The citations attached to the correct individuals and events, as they should. I then created a descendant journal report using the same database, but with a different focus individual (the great-grandfather of the ancestor report focus individual). The citations in this report have migrated to other, incorrect, individuals and events. When I reopened (re-created) the ancestor report, the citations were still attached to incorrect individuals and events. How did this happen and how can I reattach the citations to the correct individuals/events? Thank you.

Bob,

I think that any of us users that would want to offer suggestions will need more information. Are you using the latest TMG version 7.03? How are you generating this report? Is it to the screen, or to a word processor? and if the latter what version? Further, have you viewed the event tags for these citations in TMG and verified that they are linked to the correct citations?

I tried to reproduce your symptoms and was unable to do so with my database.

Bob,

I think that any of us users that would want to offer suggestions will need more information. Are you using the latest TMG version 7.03? How are you generating this report? Is it to the screen, or to a word processor? and if the latter what version? Further, have you viewed the event tags for these citations in TMG and verified that they are linked to the correct citations?

I tried to reproduce your symptoms and was unable to do so with my database.

Michael,

Thanks for trying to help. I am using TMG 7.03 and MS Vista (with all updates). I generated the reports to screen. It appears all citations are correctly attached in the database, just not in the reports. This is a real puzzle.

Bob

Bob, did you delete the cumulative endnotes (at the prompt) between running the two reports? If not, could that explain what you are seeing?

Virginia

Virginia,

Thanks for your response. I always delete the endnotes at the prompt and, to the best of recollection, did this time.

Bob

Bob, did you delete the cumulative endnotes (at the prompt) between running the two reports? If not, could that explain what you are seeing?

Virginia

Virginia,

Thanks for your response. I always delete the endnotes at the prompt and, to the best of recollection, did this time.

Bob

Michael and Virginia,

After continuing to study my problem and what I might have done or not done to cause it, I believe I have found the answer. I just printed out the list of Endnotes for my project for the first time and the endnote numbers match up with the numbers in my journal report. I had been looking at the list of Citations and those numbers did/do not match up with the numbers in the journal report. I had obviously mixed up citations with endnotes. Sorry to bother the Community with my carelessness/misunderstanding. I guess I still don't fully understand the difference between citations and endnotes.

Bob

I just printed out the list of Endnotes for my project for the first time and the endnote numbers match up with the numbers in my journal report.

Which they should. Endnotes are related to a specific report.

I had been looking at the list of Citations and those numbers did/do not match up with the numbers in the journal report.

Which they should not. The endnotes are related to the report that generates them.

The list of citations is a list of all (or a subset) of citations in your project.

I guess I still don't fully understand the difference between citations and endnotes.

Citations are records in your project linking tags and sources.

Endnotes are related to the citations used in a particular report (and only those). Every different report with different data reported will generate a different and unique set of endnotes.