bobtomonto

V7 Hang up on start

When Starting up V7 I get a Progress Screen for some sort of Query. It is apparently retrieving messages and hangs up at 20%. I can not remove this and start up.

Would appreciate any comments.

Bob Tomonto

It is probably the TMG Message Manager (which sends news of special offers, etc.) trying to access the Internet. Make sure your anti-virus program allows internet access for TMG. If you can get into TMG, you can change in Preferences > Start up and Exit how often the Message Manager runs. I have it set to 0 and run it periodically and manually from the Help menu.

Virginia

I agree with you on the cause but I have turned off Norton and can not get into the TMG V7 to change preferences.

I get the message about the special deal on my version 6 and don't have a problem there.

Maybe I should remove Version 7 and download another copy. Then I can change preferences. That sounds like too drastic a fix for what is likely a system problem.

Suggestions!!

Bob Tomonto

There should be no need to reinstall. You can manually change that preference setting by editing your app.ini file in Notepad.

Your copy of the app.ini file is located by default at:

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

Windows XP and Windows 2000:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist

*Note there is a default (non-user) copy of the app.ini in the program files. Do NOT edit that app.ini.*

The Preference setting is in the first section of the app.ini:

[startup]

ReloadOnStart=No

ShowHintsform=No

SplashDelay=4

Welcome=2

WelcomeBack=2

CheckMessageLast=2454719

CheckMessageDays=0

CheckUpdateDays=0

CheckUpdateLast=0

It might be a good idea to also set the CheckUpdateDays=0 while you are there.

After you make the edits, use File > Save.

Virginia

There should be no need to reinstall. You can manually change that preference setting by editing your app.ini file in a text editor.

Windows Vista:

*Note there is a default (non-user) copy of the app.ini in the program files. Do NOT edit that app.ini.*

[startup]

ReloadOnStart=No

ShowHintsform=No

SplashDelay=4

Welcome=2

WelcomeBack=2

CheckMessageLast=2454719

CheckMessageDays=0

CheckUpdateDays=0

CheckUpdateLast=0

Virginia

Thanks Virgina.

Fortunately the message screen disappeared after I left the computer for about four hours. I then went in and changed the preferences to zero days as you suggested. I was then able to restart TMG V7 without any problem.

This is something that I think the Wholly Genes staff should investigate.

Bob Tomonto

Miami, Fl

There should be no need to reinstall. You can manually change that preference setting by editing your app.ini file in a text editor.

Windows Vista:

[startup]

ReloadOnStart=No

ShowHintsform=No

SplashDelay=4

Welcome=2

WelcomeBack=2

CheckMessageLast=2454719

CheckMessageDays=0

CheckUpdateDays=0

CheckUpdateLast=0

Virginia

I am having the exact same problem and I notified support. I just upgraded yesterday and was downloading it today. The same problem exists in both my laptop and desktop. While I will try the solutions suggested, I am not that computer savvy and wonder if there isn't another way to fix this.

Alice

When Starting up V7 I get a Progress Screen for some sort of Query. It is apparently retrieving messages and hangs up at 20%. I can not remove this and start up.

Would appreciate any comments.

Bob Tomonto

I too am having the same problem and know of at least 2 additional users with this problem. It occurs when TMG tries to retrieve a message. There was a posting on the tmg listserve which suggested changing firewalls to allow TMG to access the internet. IN HOPES THAT THERE IS A WHOLLYGENES MODERATOR ON: Another user and myself both changed our firewalls to allow TMG to access the internet. (I use Norton as a firewall, have windows firewall turned off, and also rebooted my machine) In BOTH user cases, it did not fix the problem. At this time I cannot manage to get on to TMG (I am also using version 7). Please help ASAP as this was the weekend I had devoted to entering data!!!!

TIA.

Helen Nash May

Helen, have you tried editing the app.ini file in Notepad as described in Post #4 above? It takes just a minute and will fix the problem. If you can't find the app.ini file or have any questions, let us know.

Virginia

Notes re editing the app.ini file:

TMG should be closed when you edit the app.ini file.

Depending on your Windows Explorer settings, the folders and files may be hidden from you.

From Help > Data File Storage:

" By default, Windows hides the Shared Program Data Folder and the User

Program Data Folder, so you must select 'Show hidden files and folders' on the

Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View tab in order to browse the

folders using Windows Explorer. Windows Help should walk you through enabling

this option if you click on the Windows Desktop, press the key to open

Windows help and search for 'show hidden files'."

Doubleclick on the app.ini file to open it in Notepad.

Virginia

I am able to restart TMG, as I have Message Manager set to 0. I turned off Norton AV and tried again, but the same thing happens (goes to 20% and hangs). I have waited up to 20 minutes and it does not clear. I have to 'end program'. Virginia C.

Hi Virginia

I've been having the same problem as Helen and countless others. Helen passd on the App.ini doc file so that I could alter that file but it hasn't made any difference to the opening of Message Manager.

When i click on it, it starts up and then hangs at 20% and stays there. To get out I click the "X" and go straight into End Program.

Interestingly(?), if I click on top menu bar to try and go out, the menu bar disappears!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

PS here is my current amended App.ini file relating to the Message Manager

ReloadOnStart=No

ShowHintsform=No

SplashDelay=2

Welcome=2

WelcomeBack=3

SampleLocation=C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\sample_uk\sample_uk__.pjc

CheckMessageLast=2454719

CheckMessageDays=0

CheckUpdateLast=0

CheckUpdateDays=0

Helen, have you tried editing the app.ini file in Notepad as described in Post #4 above? It takes just a minute and will fix the problem. If you can't find the app.ini file or have any questions, let us know.

Virginia

Dave, I don't know whether it will make any difference - but try WelcomeBack=2 in the app.ini. That will open the Welcome window when you start up.

It never hurts to reboot, so try that if you haven't since you edited the app.ini.

As a reminder to everyone - don't edit the app.ini file or any TMG files when TMG is open. Close it first.

Virginia

I've been having the same problem as Helen and countless others. Helen passd on the App.ini doc file so that I could alter that file but it hasn't made any difference to the opening of Message Manager.

That makes absolutely no sense.

First, you need to locate the app.ini file in the user program data folder and edit it exactly as Virginia describes above.

Saying that you had someone send you the file says to me that you never located and edited the correct copy of the file.

Second, editing app.ini means that the program can start and run without being hung by Message Manager. It does not mean that you can run Message Manager from the Help menu without hanging. The app.ini edit prevents Message Manager from running on its own. That's all. It has nothing to do with resolving the issue of Message Manager hanging up.

1.That makes absolutely no sense.

2.First, you need to locate the app.ini file in the user program data folder and edit it exactly as Virginia describes above.

3.Saying that you had someone send you the file says to me that you never located and edited the correct copy of the file.

4.Second, editing app.ini means that the program can start and run without being hung by Message Manager. It does not mean that you can run Message Manager from the Help menu without hanging. The app.ini edit prevents Message Manager from running on its own. That's all. It has nothing to do with resolving the issue of Message Manager hanging up.

Jim, in reply:

1.Tell me about it!

2.Which is exactly what I did, to the letter: C:\Documents and Settings/Dave/Application Data/The Master Genealogist v7

3.As I said, Helen passed on the .doc file which Virginia posted in her mail above - I did not say that I had it passed on to me - there is a big difference - and how you conclude from that that I never located or edited the correct copy of the .ini file, beats me.

4.Lastly I speak, read and write fluent Dutch and am also quite good in Double-Dutch but the gobbledegook you wrote in your last para has the appearance of something straight out of Catch-22.

And on that note, I will close this part of the thread and leave the message manager for what it is.

Dave

4.Lastly I speak, read and write fluent Dutch and am also quite good in Double-Dutch but the gobbledegook you wrote in your last para has the appearance of something straight out of Catch-22.

Let me try again.

The setting that Virginia posted above... Editing the app.ini and changing the following to:

[startup]

CheckMessageDays=0

...does not fix the issue of Message Manager hanging up. It simply prevents Message Manager from running automatically. If Message Manager is not run, it can't hang up.

If it was hanging up when run automatically and you run it manually from the Help menu, the chances are good that it will still hang up when run.

I too am having the same problem and know of at least 2 additional users with this problem. It occurs when TMG tries to retrieve a message. There was a posting on the tmg listserve which suggested changing firewalls to allow TMG to access the internet. IN HOPES THAT THERE IS A WHOLLYGENES MODERATOR ON: Another user and myself both changed our firewalls to allow TMG to access the internet. (I use Norton as a firewall, have windows firewall turned off, and also rebooted my machine) In BOTH user cases, it did not fix the problem. At this time I cannot manage to get on to TMG (I am also using version 7). Please help ASAP as this was the weekend I had devoted to entering data!!!!

TIA.

Helen Nash May

Has anyone having the problem tried starting the pc in safe mode, connecting to the internet and then opening TMG to see if the problem still occurs. In safe mode the firewall is not loaded so if the problem does occur then that rules out firewall. If it doesn't then it points to the firewall.

...does not fix the issue of Message Manager hanging up. It simply prevents Message Manager from running automatically. If Message manager is not run, it can't hang up.

...and before someone asks the obvious "then why suggest this fix at all, if it doesn't work?", it allows you to use TMG while someone figures out a proper fix for the problem (as otherwise you might not be able to start TMG at all as the message manager tries to run every time you start TMG). ;)

I.e. this fix only for if you can't start TMG due to this error - otherwise just disable the message manager autocheck from the preferences as usual. Message manager itself won't start magically working for you until there is a proper fix.

I don't have other issues with starting (except it takes long when message manager is run), but I also never have received any messages (according to TMG-L, there should've been some by now). Also the "autoupdate" feature doesn't work at all.

(network connection handling is seriously borked in this software - have tried on 2 different OS architectures (one of them a pristine clean XP SP3 setup) to make sure the errors are not in my end)

Has anyone having the problem tried starting the pc in safe mode, connecting to the internet and then opening TMG to see if the problem still occurs. In safe mode the firewall is not loaded so if the problem does occur then that rules out firewall. If it doesn't then it points to the firewall.

"Safe mode with networking", just to make sure (barebones safe mode doesn't have network connections enabled). ;)

Haven't tried that one, but I have tried on a _clean_ XP SP3 install without any antivir or additional firewalls installed (disabled the MS builtin FW).

I'm also encountering this hanging on the progress window at 20%. I made the changes to the .ini file as suggested and now I can get into TMG. Running TMG v7.03, win xp pro sp3. Just to test the problem I clicked the "Message Manager" under the "Help" and the problem reoccurred. For now the .ini change has disabled the automatic call to Message Manager and I can access my data, so I'm happy!

Just putting in my two cents so that the guys and gals at TMG know that this problem is wide spread.

John

Let me try again.

The setting that Virginia posted above... Editing the app.ini and changing the following to:

[startup]

CheckMessageDays=0

...does not fix the issue of Message Manager hanging up. It simply prevents Message Manager from running automatically. If Message manager is not run, it can't hang up.

If it was hanging up when run automatically and you run it manually from the Help menu, the chances are good that it will still hang up when run.

Good morning Jim

Thank you for the explanation above and my apologies for the somewhat tardy reply in my previous mail

Have a good day

Dave

Hello everyone.

Thanks to everyone who brought this problem to our attention and especially to those who worked with Phil in tech support to help us diagnose it. I think that you'll find that it is fixed.

Every user of an unlocked copy of TMG Gold Edition (v6.09 or later) who accesses the Message Manager should now get a coupon for the "Give a Gift of TMG for HALF OFF" offer. If you don't see it, click on "Display previous messages."

Users who have never received them before should also receive a coupon for "50% off your first wall chart" and one for "20% off your next purchase of data CDs!" Those coupons are offered once to each user of TMG Gold (again, v6.09 or later) after unlocking the program and they have an expiration date. The problem with the Message Manager caused those coupons to stop being issued too. Note that if you do not receive these additional coupons today, then it is because you already received them. (If you don't see them under previous messages, then it is because they expired.)

Thanks again to all those who helped us get to the bottom of this problem.

... I think that you'll find that it is fixed. ...

I can confirm this. (tested on one XP x64 so far) Received all 3 messages ok & fast.

Thank you for a prompt fix!

Hello everyone.

Thanks to everyone who brought this problem to our attention and especially to those who worked with Phil in tech support to help us diagnose it. I think that you'll find that it is fixed.

Confirmed, with three current and 1 previous message

Many thanks