wgm003

FTM2009 Import

The FTM 2008 import is currently in development. The database structures for FTM 2008 and FTM 2009 appear to be identical and the import should work with either. I can see no differences between the results from either FTM version at this stage of development.

I wish to convert all my FTM 2008-9 data to TMG. The GEDCOM export for FTM 2008-9 is not as robust as the direct import of FTM16 into TMG. I have been waiting since the release of TMG 7.0 for this feature. The reply I always receive is under development. Are we close to release yet?

Eileen

I wish to convert all my FTM 2008-9 data to TMG. The GEDCOM export for FTM 2008-9 is not as robust as the direct import of FTM16 into TMG. I have been waiting since the release of TMG 7.0 for this feature. The reply I always receive is under development. Are we close to release yet?

Eileen

Eileen,

I think you'll find that TMG's policy is not to comment on the exact timing of any particular feature or update.

You might, depending on the size of your database, consider using FTM16 and add the changes from 2008/2009 to your FTM16 and then do a direct import from 16.

That's a nice thought but I used FTM 2008 to source my entire database and link sources to images being heavily motivated after my lovely cruise with Wholly Genes last year. I have to say that FTM 2008 saved my tremendous typing with its merge feature for Ancestry.com, which is where most of my data came from. So I will just patiently await the import. I tired GEDCOM but actually, FTM does not produce great GEDCOM files so I lost a lot on the import. I will say that TMG imports GEDCOM much better than other software packages I've tried--it keeps the images. Every other one I tried this with lost all my images.

Eileen Souza

Hello,

I've just purchased TMG for the reason that I have a Dutch version and because TMG supports import for FTM-files.

Now I feel decieved because the import from FTM 2009 doesn't work :angry:

59 $ down the drain, or is TMG really working on this feature?

I tried the gedcom also, but FTM 2009 does not export media file links into the gedcom.

:wacko:

Chris

FTM 2008/2009 is a completely different program from earlier versions of FTM with a completely different database structure. FTM 2009 just came out. I received a copy and installed it four weeks ago.

The FTM 2008/2009 import is in development. Doing something like this is a major undertaking and does not automagically happen overnight.

The 'Last Edited Date' won't work in this case.

Do you have Word? Make a List of People report with exactly the same settings (default will do) from both data sets. Then use the Word document compare feature to compare the two reports. The added names will be highlighted. It might be possible to generate a report of just the differences.

Not, don't accept all changes. The text marked with red is showing you the changes between the two documents. That is what Jim meant by "The added names will be highlighted." The color is the highlighting. (The exact meaning of the red color depends upon your settings for "Track Changes". I think the default for red is to highlight added text.) So the whole purpose of the colored text is to tell you what names/sentences are added or deleted. When you accept all changes you remove all the color so can no longer identify the changes. I forget how to do it in Word 2000, but on the Word 2007 ribbon there is a Review menu and you can search Next or Previous for any changes. I vaguely remember that there is an option in "Find" in Word 2000 to find the next tracked change. You might be able to use something like that to search for the next colored text in the document, or just scroll through the document observing the red text.

You aren't merging the reports. You want a report that shows the differences.

Recreate the List of People reports and on the 'Output Columns' tab in the report Options and make sure that the sort is by ID number. You could simplify the reports by eliminating all columns except ID# and name. (I can do that with the reports you send.)

Send me the two reports and I'll take a look.

You can email me by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Ah! The ID numbers must have been different for each individual using the two import methods. Sorry. Should have caught that. I'm not even sure that the ID numbers would have been comparable even with GEDCOM? In such a case, you would need to restrict the LoP reports to name and birth date and sort by name then birth date so the reports would have the same content as far as possible.