JohnR

Spell checker

I get an error message from Ctrl-S "Cannot find required dictionary file: Words1.dbf" This file is currently to be found in Drive:\Program Files\the master genealogist v7. I am using Windows XP. Preference is set to internal dictionary.

So where should Words1.dbf be living?

The user copies of the spelling dictionary files are located in the Shared Program Data File folder (see Help > Data File Storage > 1. Shared Program Data Files). For Windows XP, the default location of the Shared Program Data File folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

The first time you run v7, any data files in the program files folder that are susceptible to modification (like the spelling dictionary files) are copied to one of the 3 data file storage folders. You are seeing the 'original' spelling dictionary files in the program files. You want the copies in the Docs and Settings location. Are they not there?

Virginia

You are seeing the 'original' spelling dictionary files in the program files. You want the copies in the Docs and Settings location. Are they not there?

Virginia

In a word - no!

The problem could be that I run TMG7 on a portable drive. I suppose I have to-re-install?

John

TMG is not intended to be run from a portable drive. Files are installed to multiple places on the computer. If you move the portable drive to a different computer, all of the files other than those in the program folder will be missing.

TMG is not intended to be run from a portable drive. Files are installed to multiple places on the computer. If you move the portable drive to a different computer, all of the files other than those in the program folder will be missing.

OK, I have re-installed TMG7.03 UK on drive C: but I still get the same error message. I have Words1-3.dbf in the programme file. Search fails to find any other Words*.dbf on drive C:

Read the Data File Storage topic in help to learn where the data files are stored by default. Pay particular attention to the paragraph about how to see hidden folders.

If the spell checker files are not located in the program data folder, copy them into the program data folder from the program folder.

Read the Data File Storage topic in help to learn where the data files are stored by default. Pay particular attention to the paragraph about how to see hidden folders.

If the spell checker files are not located in the program data folder, copy them into the program data folder from the program folder.

I would willingly if the help files loaded but they don't.

John

If nothing else, you can open the help file by double-clicking on it in the program folder.

The help file is apparently not opening from the program because it is also missing from the program data folder.

The question is why data file relocation is not happening when you run TMG7 from the default program folder. What are you doing differently from the usual ways of installing and running the program?

There was nothing that looked like a help file in the c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7 folder so I re-installed from the previous download and this time the help files appeared in the program. I read the help file and finding nothing resembling the dictionary I copied all the words files across and it seems to work. Thanks for your help.

John, read Help > Data File Storage, and as Jim suggested, note the information on viewing hidden folders. The tmg help file is tmg.chm and - along with the dictionary files - is located in Shared Program Data Files. In Win XP that is

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

Virginia

Thank you both for your help. I think that I have solved the mystery as to why the help files and the dictionary files were not available to me. It appears that I have two file directories

1. C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

and

2.C:\Documents and Settings\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

Quite which one TMG is currently using and how to amalgamate the two directories (for they have other files in them) is beyond my very small brain.

John

John, those are 2 of the 3 data file storage folders and they are there by design, each folder serving a different purpose - storing different types of data files which you use in TMG. That is explained in Help > Data File Storage, or you can read (or download and print out) my explanation with screenshots at vblakelock.com/tmg7.pdf.

Please ask if you continue to have questions -

Virginia

Actually,

1. C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

and

2.C:\Documents and Settings\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

Are you sure you copied the directory names correctly??

There should be NO such directory as C:\Documents and Settings\Documents and Settings\ at all in XP systems normally!

(note the duplicate 'Document and Settings')

Virginia, you surely don't mean those dirs are normal, but were thinking about the login/all users (which are normal) entries when you wrote your reply?

I assume it was mis-typed. Reading and understanding Data File Storage is the important thing.

Well, I thought it might be good to check, as I've only seen that directory structure happen when there's malware in effect...

(there might be legitimate cases where it could happen, but I haven't noticed one yet)

And I think assumptions are dangerous... :)

Otherwise, I agree, reading the info on data file storage first is the main thing.

Edited by Maccara

It wasn't a mis-type C:\Documents and Settings\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7 does exist which probably explains why I haven't been able to understand the instructions in the Help file!

I had a malware attack earlier in the year. The hard drive had to be reformatted and restored by the local geek (and don't mention firewalls and anti-virus software - I saw the thing come in and grab IE, which I don't use, and there was nothing that I could do to stop it. The firewall and AVG ignored it ) Whether that caused it I don't know.

John

It wasn't a mis-type C:\Documents and Settings\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7 does exist which probably explains why I haven't been able to understand the instructions in the Help file!

I had a malware attack earlier in the year. The hard drive had to be reformatted and restored by the local geek (and don't mention firewalls and anti-virus software - I saw the thing come in and grab IE, which I don't use, and there was nothing that I could do to stop it. The firewall and AVG ignored it ) Whether that caused it I don't know.

John

There's a good chance that the geek, in trying to restore some of your data, just copied the old "documents and settings" directory into the new one as a sub-directory. If you're sure that you are now virus and malware-free you could fiind the files in the old directory that should be preserved and copy them into the new one, observing the subdirectory structure carefully. Do only your own known data files. Be sure to back up your TMG files to some other location before proceeding. Then you can copy the "documents and settings" subdirectory (i.e., the lower one) onto a flash drive, or, better still, burn it onto a DVD and put it aside. Then that directory can be erased.

If your registry hasn't been too badly munged you should be OK from that point on. But if there remain problems, then back up all data again and start from scratch by reinstalling the operating system, allowing it to reformat the drive before beginning. A clean install is sometimes the only way of getting a satisfactory working system.