Ann

Duplicate flags suddenly created

How can I get rid of several versions of some of my flags. They all seem to be user created ones, but not all of my user created flags have duplicated. What would have caused this?

Ann, Auckland, NZ

Do you have more than one Data Set in your Project? Have you Merged Data Sets, or Copied or Moved people from one Data Set to another?

Hi Terry

Yes I have several databases in my project, and yes on thinking back I have recently copied a small family of I think three people from one dataset to another. Is this the problem? For example what I have ended up with is, both in the flags window and in the flag manager, two Cen 41, Cen 51, Cen 61 flags (used to track whether I have located people in various censuses). I have carried out the usual reindexing, optimising etc.

Ann

Ann,

Exactly where are you seeing the duplicate flags?Copying people to a new data set can create them.

Since the standard flags cannot be changed, they only appear once even if you have multiple data sets. But when you have custom flags, they are specific to each data set. Even when you have flags with the same names in two data sets, TMG doesn't assume they mean the same thing in each one. So, you look at Flag manger, you see the name of each custom flag is followed by the data set number.

If you copied some people from one data set to another all the flags from the original data set should then appear in the second one.

Ann,

Exactly where are you seeing the duplicate flags?Copying people to a new data set can create them.

Since the standard flags cannot be changed, they only appear once even if you have multiple data sets. But when you have custom flags, they are specific to each data set. Even when you have flags with the same names in two data sets, TMG doesn't assume they mean the same thing in each one. So, you look at Flag manger, you see the name of each custom flag is followed by the data set number.

If you copied some people from one data set to another all the flags from the original data set should then appear in the second one.

Terry

I am seeing them both in the flag window and in Flag Manager. In Flag Manager for example, I have three N_Bl_Rel #2 flags, one N_Bl_Rel #3, one N_Bl_Rel #4, one N_Bl_Rel #5, and two N_Bl_Rel #6 flags all ticked and showing as enabled, even though I only have one database (#2) currently enabled. I disabled all but one database hoping it might get rid of the duplicate flags but it didn't.

For each of my customised flags, in Flag Manager I have three copies relating to database #2, one relating to each of databases 3,4,5, and two for database #6. Do I just disable each one in turn in the Flag Manager until it comes right? - and then never copy anything ever again?<g>

To add to the confusion, I have just looked at the Accent feature. I previously had all my direct line ancestors, ie parents, grandparents etc coloured red with white writing, and on opening the Accent Definition Window the condition for red with white writing is now Candidate #2 = Y. (I had used this flag label for a possible candidate for parents when I had several possibilities.) All of the other colour definitions now have incorrect labels as well even though the people themselves in the database are coloured correctly, ie all my direct line ancestors are still coloured red with white writing. grrrrr. Do I reinstall V7 and see if this helps?

Cheers

Ann