Max

Journal report: sorting of names in people index

When I create a people index sorted by surname, the sorting is not fully consistent. The index correctly displays the names in alphabetical order, followed by a correct alphabetical order of given names. However, equal given names are then sorted by the first two or three digits of the ID-numbers that follow the given names in parentheses. Within equal surnames, this procedure lists e.g. a Miller John (435) (1750-1788) after a Miller John (3234) (1820-1855). It would be nice to have equal names in a chronological order i.e. in the order of increasing birth dates (or at least in an order of increasing ID number).

Is there any solution for this problem?

Max

Just a short note, Max.

Since you are using TMGv7.03 I've moved this topic from the TMGv6 support forum where this post originally appeared to this TMGv7 support forum.

Other than that the unexpected behavior Max describes becomes visible when printing a Journal report to Word 2000 or later.

Regarding ID-Numbers: TMG ID numbers don't have leading zeros so that 435 will be sorted after 3234. With that being said: the number 435 is higher than 3234 and therefore is sorted after the latter. ;)

So what you really seem to want is to sort those people in question in chronological order depending on their date of birth.

Just a short note, Max.

Since you are using TMGv7.03 I've moved this topic from the TMGv6 support forum where this post originally appeared to this TMGv7 support forum.

Other than that the unexpected behavior Max describes becomes visible when printing a Journal report to Word 2000 or later.

Regarding ID-Numbers: TMG ID numbers don't have leading zeros so that 435 will be sorted after 3234. With that being said: the number 435 is higher than 3234 and therefore is sorted after the latter. ;)

So what you really seem to want is to sort those people in question in chronological order depending on their date of birth.

Thank you, Vera.

I am afraid that the sorting algorithm of MS Word puts the people in this order and that we cannot force a chronological order with TMG.

In John Cardinal's Second Site the sorting is done better. In the SS-output I find the alphabetical/chronological order as I like it.

Max