gene

creating reports

Hi

When I create a pdf file of selected people and then try to open it in Adobe I get an error message stating 'Adobe could not open BryantDavies. pdf' because it is not either a supported file or because the file has been damaged (for example it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

I have'nt tried to send it as an email attachment although that is what I eventually want to do.

Can anyone help me solve this problem please.

Thanks

Gene

Thanks for the reply Virginia, maybe I didn't explain myself properly. I want to send the pdf as an email attachment. I tried what you suggested and still got the same error message.

I have decided to print the report out and send it snail mail but it would be so much more convenient to send it through email.

thanks

Gene

Gene, I do not have any problems opening TMG .pdf reports in Acrobat v7 or in v9. I tried the Pedigree, Descendant Indented Chart, and List of People reports. Did you check that the finished report has the .pdf file extension? I've noticed that sometimes the selection on the report definition screen will slip down to ASCII after I select Acrobat.

Virginia

Hi Michael and Virginia

I am trying to create a pdf file to send as an email attachment. I have done what you have suggested by installing the pdf printer, but still I can't create the file.

the steps I take are: Highlight the people I want to make the file with. Go to reports, click Family Group Sheet > Selected People on the Project Explorer >click Save to file > Select file type Acrobat PDF > name file Henry, click create report.

It then tries to create the file that is where Adobe reader opens and I get the above error message (first message in this group). I have also checked the settings in preferences, but maybe I am missing something.

Select file type Acrobat PDF > name file Henry, click create report.

Gene,

please provide the complete File name which you see in the field "File name:".

Is the file ending .pdf (dot, pdf) there? It has to be since otherwise Acrobat would never be able to recognize it.

Gene,

in addition to my previous reply please change your procedure to create the report a tiny little bit.

Family Group Sheet > Selected People on the Project Explorer >click Save to file > Select file type Acrobat PDF

then:

1) please note that the field "File name" already shows *.PDF

2) set your mouse cursor into that field and type in your file name but please make sure that you don't overwrite the file ending .PDF

in your case the content of the field "File name" now reads: Henry.PDF

3) press the TAB key on your keyboard

4) click create report.

Gene - something else to try:

In Preferences > Reports, set the Prompt to the first option: Never ask; do not open the file.

After you create the file, navigate to Henry.pdf in Windows Explorer and doubleclick on it. See if that opens it.

Virginia

Hi Everyone

I have done all suggestions and I still get the above error message. The other thing is that when I create the file in adobe, then right click on the file it shows as being empty - 0 bytes. I know that adobe is working because I have opened other pdf's emailed to me that were created in other genealogy programs.

Gene

Hi Everyone

I have done all suggestions and I still get the above error message. The other thing is that when I create the file in adobe, then right click on the file it shows as being empty - 0 bytes. I know that adobe is working because I have opened other pdf's emailed to me that were created in other genealogy programs.

Gene

Hmmm......

Another thing to try, Gene:

Go to any person in your project

Reports >Family Group Sheet > check "Use the Current Focus Person" instead of "Selected People in the Project Explorer"

Save it to file as a PDF file and create the report.

Does that work?

Until we figure out why the TMG pdf printer is not working, you can download one of the free pdf writers and use that in the interim - so at least you can create and email pdf's. I use cutepdf writer (the Writer, not the Converter), another good one is pdf995.

With the cutepdf writer:

- select that as the printer using the Properties button on the report definition screen.

- select Printer as the Report Destination - not Preview or File. You do not select PDF or give it a file name now.

- press Create Report

- you will get a dialog window in which to select a file name and location - use the Desktop for now. Doubleclick on that file to open it in Adobe.

Maybe the problem is related to the temp file TMG is using. I suggest you contact Tech Support, though they may be a little short-handed this week.

I also use cutepdf writer to save VCF charts as a pdf file, so it is handy to have anyway. Google for cutepdf to find the free download

Hope this works for you-

Virginia

Hi Virginia

I have installed the program on another computer and created a report, that worked fine, but wouldn't allow me to send it by email.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled TMG on my laptop and I still have the same issue, (it wont create the pdf), when I do a search for the pdf it looks like it hasn't been created. I don't understand why it wont allow me to create a new report but for ones that are already created they will open ok. This is very frustrating.

When I have the time I will follow the instructions you have given me above.

thanks for your time and effort, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Gene

Gene -

PDF files are sometimes corrupted when sent by email. Try zipping the .pdf file and see if that will go. If you have a web site, you could upload it there and let the other person download it.

Is there anything different about the TMG installation on the laptop from the computer? Both are the same operating system and TMG is installed on the C: drive to the default locations on both?

Virginia

Hi Virginia

I have installed the cutepdf but haven't worked out why it wont print as yet. I can create family group sheets in word also so maybe I will have to use word to send through email.

I am amazed at the help I have had with the forums for TMG you are the best. :D

thanks again

Gene