alpalmer

Accent Direct Line

I understand the basics of accents and flags but can't seem to do what I want to do. I want to highlight my direct line ancestor in a list of siblings. When I am looking at a long list of children of a particular person, I would like my ancestor to be highlighted. Can it to be done? If so, how might I do it?

On the Accent screen, create an accent for 'Is an Ancestor of ID# (your ID#). This will accent on screen and can be used in VCF charts.

Jim has described the simplest way to create Accents. There are also ways to create more complex accents if you would prefer something a bit more detailed. See my article on Accents for some examples.

Also, you may want to switch to the Advance Picklist if you add Accents - the Accents appear on that version of the Picklist.

I prefer a variation on Terry's Related-By Flag for my data. I choose to create a Flag similar to his for my direct line, but I set the value of the flag to how distant the person is from me. For example:

N = no (default) people that are not on my main line

0 = me

1-9 = 1-9 generations back

A-K = 10-20

X = >20

Then I can use an Accent that is: MAIN N

Of course using the setting to Accent names by the FIRST matching condition you could get more complicated and have multiple accent conditions setting different colors depending upon how distant the person was.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Ok - I have read all the above on accents, watched the instruction video on accents. I'm trying to accent all the direct ancesors of my grandson and for some reason in one of my branches it does not accent the direct ancestors after a certain number of generations but it does tell me they are a direct ancestor in the relation flag. I would appreciate any suggestions.

If any of us users were to try to answer your question I think we would need more information. Could you please describe the details of your relation flag, and the details of your accent definition? For the accent definition please list all your conditions and which of the three controls you have selected. I suspect that your accent definition contains more than one condition and the later generations are being accented based on some other accent condition than the relation flag, but that is a guess at this point.