Vicus Scurra

Merging and focus groups

I have noticed the following worrying behaviour (the software, not me, my behaviour always gives cause for concern).

1) I am merging two people. Say Id numbers 349 and 750.

349 is in the current focus group. 750 is not.

2) I chose 349 as the person to be merged into - i.e. 349 will remain as the id after the merge.

3) If, when choosing the fields to merge I select the name variation and date of birth from 750, then, after the merge, 349 will disappear from my current focus group.

4) If, however, I choose the name variation and date of birth from 349, then 349 remains in the focus group after the merge, but the number of people in the focus group is decremented, causing me to believe that a (random?) member has been removed from the group.

Edited by Jim Byram

The Focus Group is actually a list of Names - not of People. So if you delete a name tag that is in the Focus Group the name should disappear from the group.

I don't understand what's happening with item #4 - was there also another name for person #349 that you omited from the merge? Maybe a a married name?

The Focus Group is actually a list of Names - not of People. So if you delete a name tag that is in the Focus Group the name should disappear from the group.

I don't understand what's happening with item #4 - was there also another name for person #349 that you omited from the merge? Maybe a a married name?

No, not as far as I can see - that does not fit in with my understanding of what is happening. In the above example, 349 will remain in the group, but the number decrements. As it is a large group I have no way of telling whether:

a) a name has been deleted

B) which name it is.

Thanks for the reply - it makes sense and explains that part.

Edited by Vicus Scurra

If there is one less name in the Focus Group, one name has been 'deleted'. So that answers 'a'.

It would be easy to do a before and after comparison by comparing List of Names reports filtered on the Focus Group from before and after the people merge. And this would answer 'b'.